Hi All,

I'm in the design phase of a IWB holster for a fellow that wants a belt clip and not loops. I mean he is completely opposed to loops to the point he'll find someone else to do it if I don't so, the question is, whats the best type/brand/size to be finding for a holster to be used for a med. sized auto for a hefty size guy? Somewhere other than springfield leather? ideas or guidance?

Thanks,

Bro Tim

Tandy Leather Factory, . . . if you are using only one clip use their number 1239, . . . if you are using two (one on each side) use their number 1240.

Those are the ones I use.

May God bless,

Dwight

Thanks Dwight for the suggestion. I've never put any belt clips on anything. My only experience was unsatisfying with commercially made production holsters, they seem to spring open.

Thanks again.

Bro Tim

I buy most of my clips from Rob at Bluegunstore. I use CLIP8-10 on my holsters that take 2 clips. I've not had any complaints about them.

Thanks Dwight for the suggestion. I've never put any belt clips on anything. My only experience was unsatisfying with commercially made production holsters, they seem to spring open.

Thanks again.

Bro Tim

Tim, . . . most spring clips will open up and not be as tight, . . . but in just about every case I've ever seen, . . . it was because the owner/wearer pulled too hard on the opening end. The will not tolerate constant abuse.

But if you do get one that is pulled out too far, . . . put the closed end in a small "C" clamp, . . . tighten down slowly, . . . check it often, . . . and you can usually pull them back into their proper "springyness".

There are also Kydex clips available, . . . but I don't know where. I'm not a "plastic fantastic" lover, . . . so I don't use it, . . . but if you contact the suppliers who advertise on here, . . . I'd imagine at least one or two of them have the Kydex clips. There are too many guys using them out there for all to be making their own and they look so much alike.

May God bless,

Dwight

Edited by Dwight

ChiefJason, Thanks for the suggestion, i'll take a look.

Bro Tim

If you can post a picture of the style of holster your making I would be glad to recommend one, I keep all my supplies items in stock. The CLIP8-10's are very poplar I would go with the powder coated version with is CLIP8-10PC. I also have a Kydex one that is getting a lot of attention lately. Here is the link to the clips if you want to find it on your own http://www.bluegunstore.com/?page_id=10&slug=index.php&cPath=23_30

IMO, kydex clips are disposable items. Look on any of the makers on ebay, they don't warranty kydex clips. You can make them yourself, and I have made a few J hooks lately. J hooks take less abuse and are more likely to last than clips. But if you use them and expect them to last a long time, you may have some issues.

That said, some of the other plastic clips come highly recommended. Mainly the Comp tac style nylon clips. IIRC Rob just picked up something similar to them. They are not cheap, but I have a buddy that is a CC instructor, carries every day, and swears by them. He would break kydex clips about every other month. He says he can't break the nylon ones.

If you go kydex you need to go .08 at a minimum, and .093 would be better. But I prefer metal for over the belt clips, or leather loops.

For clips I use www.theclip.com

Not the cheapest but every one I have purchased has been great quality and made in the USA.

They have both metal and kydex clip systems.

Found them while searching for stainless steel spring clips for a customer with a nickle allergy.

I had a recent issue where Tandy didn't have any of the clips I wanted so I found a site called theclip.com very good customer service and have a big selection of clips

You mite try Paul Long he has some new clips out

Springfield Leather has the same clips as Tandy and at a better price. One thing for sure is don't make the mistake of ordering from Ohio Travel Bag for any of the clips they sell. I thought I would give them a try and what I got was junk with a capital J. The finish was horrible and a few even had light rust, the edges were almost sharp enough to cut you. I ordered a few other items beside clips and wasn't impressed by them either. As they say live and learn.

We have been buying our clips from http://www.albest.co...t=Holster Clips for years..Good luck

WoW, I had never heard of them before but, they have a lot of great stuff. Thanks for the insight.

Springfield Leather has the same clips as Tandy and at a better price. One thing for sure is don't make the mistake of ordering from Ohio Travel Bag for any of the clips they sell.

I ended up purchasing some from Springfield with a regular order i had to make anyway.

Thanks everyone for their help and suggestions to set me on track. I'll post holster pics later.

Bro. Timothy