I stained a piece that I had worked on and then put Tan Kote on. I thought that this was a top coat/finish coat but I put some water on a paper towel and stain still came off. What else should i put on it. Any suggestions, or maybe I am just doing it wrong. Thanks for the help.

I stained a piece that I had worked on and then put Tan Kote on. I thought that this was a top coat/finish coat but I put some water on a paper towel and stain still came off. What else should i put on it. Any suggestions, or maybe I am just doing it wrong. Thanks for the help.

Did you buff the piece before putting the tan kote on? As the dye drys the dyestuffs, (dye particles suspended in the alcohol) will stay on the surface. If the surface is carved, you should use a piece of dry sheeps wool on dry leather, or if not carved you can use an old t-shirt, to buff off the dyestuffs. Once you get no more or very little dye bleeding to the wool or shirt, you can put the tan kote on.

Marlon

Tan kote is, unfortunately, NOT water resistant, so if you're using tan kote over a water soluable dye, like the eco-flo series, any water will cause both to be removed & probably cause the eco flo to smear. If you are using spirit dyes, then Rawhide is also correct, especially with spirit black.

Yes, it is a top coat/finish, but not a good one, nor a durable one, for anything that will end up outside in the weather.

Thanks for the help. What can I use as a better top coat

There are several. Aussies Wax, Resolene (this seals completely and you won't be able to condition it later), Montana Pitch Blend, Snow Seal, and some other's that I can't think of right now.

Marlon

Additionally, there is: supershene, leathershene, satinshene (a satin version), neatlac,... also in spray form, and saddlelac spray (I don't know if saddlelac comes in a non spray form). Some people don't like the high gloss finishes. Pecards is also good, as is Sedgewicks. Some of these finishes are not compatible with antiques, some are. Best to read labels. And experiment on scrap. Some finishes will smudge the underlying effects if applied with an applicator (especially a water-based finish over a water-based dye or antique), in which case it would be best to use a spray.

russ

What is the actual purpose of bag kote and tan kote? I've started using bag kote on my logos. It gives a nice lustre to the leather, especially vegetable tans. Over that I still put a coat of Aussie Wax. I've ordered a bottle of tan kote to see how well it works,and I'm assuming it is similar to bag kote but with a glossier finish.

ed

What is the actual purpose of bag kote and tan kote? I've started using bag kote on my logos. It gives a nice lustre to the leather, especially vegetable tans. Over that I still put a coat of Aussie Wax. I've ordered a bottle of tan kote to see how well it works,and I'm assuming it is similar to bag kote but with a glossier finish.

ed

Ed, I think it is the nice luster. But to consider it for anything that might get wet or spot, I'd stay away from it. I know there are members here who swear by it... (but I swear at it). I know it is often used to dilute fiebings' shoe polish- type antique, and it is OK for that task, but again, both those products are neither waterproof nor water resistant.

russ