oclack

31-15 Machine For Smaller Goods? For $750?

You can just call me a gluten for punishment… I’m still trying to figure out the 441 machine I purchased a couple of week ago and I already looking at grabbing anther machine.

The 441 was purchased with the intent of doing satchels, belts and thicker cases. For smaller items - wallets, passport covers, journal and note pad covers - given what I read here I think a different machine would be best. I have some ideas for a few canvas and leather items I’d like to try out.

Would the 31-15 machine be ideal? I’m thinking thread weight would be 138 or smaller? Leather thickness probably not over 4-5 oz.

I’ve come across a Singer 31-15 recently services, with table and new digital servo motor for $750. Is this a reasonable price? Do I need a speed reducer, or will the servo motor be sufficient?

What do you think - money well spent? or keep looking?

- Odin

post-31940-0-45395200-1387402576_thumb.j

post-31940-0-39221600-1387402569_thumb.j

That's WAY to much for a 31/15 !! Keep looking if you want one. I sew thin stuff 5 ounce with 138 or 69 thread on on my Ferdco it's 441 machine.

Edited by dirtclod

I have been getting $400 to $450 for 31-15 on a table with motor, bobbin winder, and thread stand. Serviced and ready to sew 20 oz.

of leather. Delivering my last on tomorrow. I see some on Craigs list for $200-300 don't know condition.

My 1921 31-15 will not pass #138 thread around the shuttle and bobbin case, no matter what adjustments I make. I consider them garment machines, best limited to #69 thread. Newer models, so to speak, may handle #138, if you are lucky. The springs and take-up parts are not meant for heavy work.