pinkchaps

Setting Rhinestones

Hi everyone,

I have had a hard time setting rhinestones. I'm not talking about the rhinestone rivets i'm talking about loose swarovski crystals with rimsets. I have tried several different methods. I know it can be done because i have seen alot of tack done with them. Any ideas or advice would be much appreciated!

Hi PinkChaps:

I have just started trying to use the rim sets with the swarovski flatbacks as well. I also have been having a difficult time. I have finally had some success with laying the flatback on the leather (I am contemplating using a little gemtac) then place the rim set over the flatback and lightly tap the rim set with my maul until it is through the leather, then flip over and use the same rivet setter I use on the crystal rivets to fold over all the prongs. I found if I tap light but firm the flatback does not flip as easy, but if I use a little gemtac, maybe they won't flip at all. I am also thinking that I will try using a small piece of rubber mat between the maul and rim set to prevent any damage to rim set.

I had been trying to set these with my cheap Gemagic (bought at Walmart) but the flatback almost always flipped. I used the above process on heavy leather (10-12 oz ) and suede.

Thanks Westernblingbling,

Apparently setting rhinestones is a big secret that no one wants to share...maybe someday you and i will be a member of the "rhinestone setting secret society"!

I just set mine with a press as I set 2 piece rivets. I place a scrap piece of split on the "stone" part and press! I have no problems with them.

Tony.

I keep trying new ways - I have a Gemmagic (cheap - bought at Walmart) - I can use the hand tool to set rims and crystals on chap leather. It has been working pretty good, I just lay the crystal where I want and then place the rim set over the crystal and push through into my poundo board. Then flip over after setting several and use the rivet setter that I use on crystal rivets. I am seriously thinking about buying a HomePro Tool from www.Dreamtimecreations.com. They have available additional attachments to set the nailheads and rim sets (all sizes). I am new at leathercrafting (about 3 to 4 months) but bet I have set 5000 nailheads by hand already.

Thanks Westernblingbling,

Apparently setting rhinestones is a big secret that no one wants to share...maybe someday you and i will be a member of the "rhinestone setting secret society"!

I am a hard-headed German, so I will keep trying until I figure it out. I am ready to join. :banana:

Hi Pink Chaps,

Actually, there is a secret... the problem is that it costs an arm and a leg. It's a machine, and it's expensive! Other than that, we're all left to our own creativity. Lots of good ideas here. (the one I saw in Leon Mexico ran about 5000.00 US)

Kevin Hopkins

Kevin, thanks for the info...how would a person go about getting one of these machines? You're obviously in the know!

Westernblingbling....i'm also a hard headed German! :cowgirl:

What have you been making???

Kevin, thanks for the info...how would a person go about getting one of these machines? You're obviously in the know!

Westernblingbling....i'm also a hard headed German! :cowgirl:

What have you been making???

Chaps/chinks, headstalls, breast collars, and spur straps. How about you - chaps also?

I wonder if anybody here has any experience with the Home Pro setter - it only costs about $150 (thats a special price for the setter and all the additional tool sets). That might be easier to afford.

I used to use rim sets too. Where have you found rim sets with legs that are long enough to go through 10oz leather?

I switched from rim sets to mounted crystals because they had long enough legs to go through the thickness of leather I'm using. But there's only a handful of colors available in the mounted ones.

I used to use rim sets too. Where have you found rim sets with legs that are long enough to go through 10oz leather?

I switched from rim sets to mounted crystals because they had long enough legs to go through the thickness of leather I'm using. But there's only a handful of colors available in the mounted ones.

You can get Extra Long Leg Rim Sets at www.dreamtimecreations.com. Just please tell us the way you used to set them. Thanks.