gicts

old treadles for 1/4" leather?

Firstly, If I had the money for a Artisan 3000 or the like, I wouldn't be posting this ;)

I'm a college kid trying to put out aprox 4 holsters or so a week in order to stay afloat. I could really use a sewing machine to save time and my poor finger tips.

I've been reading all morning about machines but really am not getting much accomplished with research in my price range.

Below are pictured a Minnesota on the left and a Singer converted to a motor on the right

1141g5145ZZZZZZZZZ8ar22ce2fa1b2b61b0c.jpg1101221g1ZZZZZZZZZ8ar25ed771ecf831250.jpg

I'll be sewing 2 layers of 6 oz leather, making about the thickness of 1/4" minus the material I take out from using a groover. Would either of these machines be worth spending $20 on? Apparently they both have all of the parts and run but could use a decent cleaning. Even if it means I have to continue to punch holes but be able to do away with the teadious stitching I would be up for it. Any opinions or advise? They really would be appreciated. Thanks!

If they're just the regular machines I doubt if they will sew the leather. Check with Art (http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showuser=18) , he is the local expert on sewing machines.

Art

You haven't shown the most important part... the machine heads. Can they sew leather?? Yes. They need to be in good condition with the right needles but they can sew leather. I have a VS2 which has a similar treadle unit to what you have shown and she will sew light leather. So will my 2 White Rotaries and my Singer 19-51.

Remember that on these old Singers and Whites, all the components are metal. There are no plastic gears. It's all tough sturdy metal... mostly cast iron and steel. They are very tough and capable.

That's why they are still around!!

:red_bandana::red_bandana::red_bandana:

I agree talk with Art, I don't remember enough specifics about modles. There are a lot of them(models) out there, some work well for leather and some don't. As Bree said some are good for light leather but two layers of 6oz. is not light in my mind. I have a Singer converted industrial(31-20) head and what you are taling about is about the limit for it. You also have to consider the type of leather you are using it on.

Veg.tan, chrome tan, different types of chap hides,garment, latagos, and such, Some hides are firmer than others, some are 'spongy'), the quality of the leather is going to effect how easy or difficult they are to stitch on a given mechine.

Best thing to do is take the kind of leather you plan to stitch when you look at a meching and try it out.

Just a tip, if you do have a situation when your mechine wont handle what you are stitching, you can try removing the thread from the needle slowly punch the holes with the mechine(on a test piece) then go back with the needle threaded and see if the hook will pick up the loop to make a stitch. Usually if the project isn't too think you can have some success doing this by turning the mechine by hand. In most of these cases if you try to use the motor the stitch length wont be consistant and you'll wish you had done it by hand.

Do you have a stitch horse or something to hold your work when you hand stitch? That usually makes hand stitching less tedious. I know a lot of saddle makers and holster makers that do all their stitching by hand. Maybe they have some tipe that will make hand stitching more enjoyable for you. Good luck. GH

I use a 31-20 singer, sews up to 3/8. Seems to work well on all types of leather. Have to feed it by hand from time to time, but not using it for high speed production work.

Did you get a machine yet?

I use a 31-15 singer and totaly unkooked the motor. I stick my finger in the flywheel and run it by hand. Dually thinks that I am an idiot but it is the only way that I know and it works great. I can stitch an entire pair of rodeo chaps in about an hour. beats the heck out of poking holes with an awl. and I can easily stitch two peices of eigh oz this way. just go slow.

What you've got is what you got. The 31 is a great little machine, if it is good for what you are doing then carry on. You can also mount a motor on it like an industrial. I have seen them with clutch motors and servos, the servo is better for CC holster work. For $150 or so you can get a 1/2hp servo and a belt from Auto Zone when you find out what length you need. I am pretty sure that model came with a different wheel for v-belt and round belt, you will probably have to scrounge one of those and trade. And, ANYTHING beats hand stitching.

Art

I use a 31-15 singer and totaly unkooked the motor. I stick my finger in the flywheel and run it by hand. Dually thinks that I am an idiot but it is the only way that I know and it works great. I can stitch an entire pair of rodeo chaps in about an hour. beats the heck out of poking holes with an awl. and I can easily stitch two peices of eigh oz this way. just go slow.