Sign in to follow this  
TigerPal

Questions re leather jacks/drinking mugs

I'm interested in making a set of leather mugs for a friend, and have a few questions:

1) I assume the bottom has to be made larger than the diameter of the tubular sides and "cupped" so as to allow space for sewing?

2) About the seam - which do you prefer?

a) straight, squared butt joint

B) same as above, with a strip over it, like "board and batten" siding (could be made longer to form the handle)

c) skived, overlapping seam

3) Sealing: I'd like them to be usable for hot or alcoholic beverages .. I've seen some mention about a "food safe" silicone product - any willing to share what that might be, and where to get it?

Many thanks for any advice you can give.

I'm interested in making a set of leather mugs for a friend, and have a few questions:

1) I assume the bottom has to be made larger than the diameter of the tubular sides and "cupped" so as to allow space for sewing?

2) About the seam - which do you prefer?

a) straight, squared butt joint

B) same as above, with a strip over it, like "board and batten" siding (could be made longer to form the handle)

c) skived, overlapping seam

3) Sealing: I'd like them to be usable for hot or alcoholic beverages .. I've seen some mention about a "food safe" silicone product - any willing to share what that might be, and where to get it?

Many thanks for any advice you can give.

Smooth-Sil 940 is the product I use for my jacks and bottels when I want them to hold up with hot liquids and/or strong spirits. It has a consistency similar to cake frosting, so it's not a pour and swirl application. It also requires an extended heat cure - 4 hours at 212 F. But, it's good to over 400 degrees and food grade ;)

Lots of vessel makers use welted seams - it helps with making them water tight.

Sounds like interesting stuff - have you found a source for less than $125 per gallon ?

Sounds like interesting stuff - have you found a source for less than $125 per gallon ?

That sounds about right. They market a "sample" size at about $30 for 2 pounds (2 lbs part A and 2 oz. part B) that is roughly a quart in volume. It goes a pretty long way, since you're spreading a layer over the leather just thick enough to coat the surface thoroughly.

And yes, it's pricey.

I do mine a bit differently. I take a piece of pine or apple or maple cut in a circle for the bottom, about 1/2 inch thick and about a 1/4 inch diameter LARGER than the diameter of the bottom tube that the mug. Push it into place in the bottom of the tube and boil the whole thing in vegetable oil. As it cools the leather shrinks around the wood in the bottom. Once the mug is cool I dip it in melted paraffin wax for just a second. When I pull and dump it I swirl the left over paraffin in the bottom of the mug and set it upside down to dry. If the coat on the outside is too thick for your liking the put it in the over on warm (about 125-150 degrees) for 2-5 min. This doesn't make dishwasher or hot fluid safe mugs but they stand up to any type of alcohol (I've tested them extensively). This is the type that you commonly see at the Ren Faires.

Hope this helps out.

~Kevin~