Sign in to follow this  
triage1998

Question On Dip Dying

For those using the dip dying method on holsters and belts. How much dye are you buying at a time? Gallon? Pints? What size containers are you using?

I really like the Angelus dyes and can't seem to find large quantities of the dye. All I find are the 3oz bottles.

Edited by triage1998

I haven't dip dyed yet, so can't help you on that part, however here's a place that sells Angelus dyes in pint bottles as well as the 3oz. bottles: http://www.turtlefeathers.net/text/angelus/dye.html

I haven't ordered from them before, but others on here have, and say they're good to deal with. I've also read on here of people buying directly from Angelus in gallon containers. This was a while ago, I'll see if I can dig up that post.

Colt Hammerless

For dip dying after the holster is formed, you will need about a gallon. For dip dyeing the pieces, before assembly, you can get by with a quart. I buy Fiebing's Pro Oil by the quart and gallon from Weaver's.

I've found the quantity of dye needed depends on the piece to be dyed and the container used.... I have a couple plastic bowls that fit most of my rigs perfectly after they're molded and only need a little over a quart to fill them and totally submerge the piece....

I also use a glass baking dish for dyeing flat parts like hybrid backs or reinforcement bands and usually only need about 1/2 quart for dipping those....

you'll probably do best by experimenting with a few containers to see what fits your rigs and how much dye you'll need to fill them....

A thought..many on here say they cut/thin dye by as much as 50:1. It then takes more coats, but..if you are dipping..then?

Acetone is much cheaper than dye, say~~ ^6.00 Qt. Try using more thinner than dye, let it set and then dry. Maybe better than using all that dye?

Dye on leatherbrainbleach.gif

Kevin

A thought..many on here say they cut/thin dye by as much as 50:1. It then takes more coats, but..if you are dipping..then?

Acetone is much cheaper than dye, say~~ ^6.00 Qt. Try using more thinner than dye, let it set and then dry. Maybe better than using all that dye?

Dye on leatherbrainbleach.gif

Kevin

Wow I didn't know you had to cut the dye. Would you use Acetone or denatured alcohol to cut the dye?

What ratio to say a 3 oz bottle of Angelus?

Acetone gives you better spread and does not leave blotches. IMHO. at least.

Others will chime in here with their recipes soon!

Acetone runs about $25/Gallon. Much cheaper than dye.

LEt's see one three oz. dye to one gallon Acetone?

Why not dip? If that"s the look you want!

Edited by KAYAK45

You don't have to thin it. I dip dye mine at full strength, unless I'm looking for a shade of brown that I can't get easily straight from the bottle, or if I want a custom color.

If I do thin it, I use denatured alcohol.

A word of caution, if you decide to use dye that's been heavily diluted, as stated above, you're going to dry out the leather quickly. Dipping it and waiting till dry and then possibly dipping again and again will lead to brittle leather.