ruthless

Hardware questions

I need help please :)

If strength and quality are my main aim, what hardware should I be using on my collars and leads? Solid brass and chrome?! I don't want rust to be an issue.

What's the strongest "thing" to use to hold my collars and leads together? Rivets, chicago screws, other? If rivets, what kind?

I'm looking for wholesale stockists of the following in brass and chrome:

1" and 1.5" welded d-rings - lightweight

Rivets/chicago screws/whatever the answer to #2 is! :lol:

Martingale and half-check chains

And finally, is Tandy the only place to buy conchos? I want to buy in bulk.

I'd go all stainless steel with dees, snaps and buckles and copper rivets or chicago screws.

Tony.

But it has to be matching! One collar = all stainless steel or all solid brass ;)

^You can get stainless steel rivets from Weaver I think, so you would only need a buckle and a dee for a collar.

Tony.

Try Conchos.com I like them

Weaver has most hardware, or a lot anyway in stainless. Chrome is usually plated over brass, so it's the same strength. For dog collars, brass has more than adquate strength (it's used on o lot of harness - the Bud team's harness is chrome over brass). Tandy's hardware is mostly nickle or brass plated steel - the least favorable option, since the steel rusts and nickel dulls. I think solid brass has the classiest look of all, but there is the polishing issue if you want to keep it bright.

Conchos.com has a good selection, but for some of the most unusual Celtic and medieval looking conchos, Hide House (their San Dimas location) has conchos I've never seen anywhere else.

Weaver Leather and Beiler's Supply (ph. 717.768.0174) sells conchos and stainless hardware. I would go with all stainless steel along with welded d rings. Stainless rivets do not splash as well as nickle plated brass. I use all S.S. hardware along with nickel plated brass rivets and nickel plated brass conchos.

Chrome plate will wear off brass if it is used all the time and it isn't as strong as Stainless. If you go for Brass, make sure the tongues aren't Solid Brass as as they will bend if enough strain is put on them.

Tony.