Mark842

Needle Size For Singer 112W116

Hi Folks,

I recently acquired this machine. It came with a couple of needles which are all the same size. They have a bigger size thread hole than what I normally need. The manual I found online says the needles I need for this machine are either 61 N 7 or 61 N 11. I am assuming this is an out dated number since I can not find any reference to it anywhere.

Anyone help me out with the right needle part number. I'm looking to be in the 18-22 size range.

Thanks!

Mark

The needles listed for your machine should be 126x9. This info is from ISMACS. Gump

The needles listed for your machine should be 126x9. This info is from ISMACS. Gump

Ok, can't find any of those except one person selling 2 boxes of a size I don't need in the UK on eBay. I guess I asked the wrong question. The question is, what readily available needle can be used in this machine.

We always sell 135x5 for this machine,they measure 11/2"& are 2,20 mm @ the top,the 126x9 measure 13/4" & are small 2.00mm & normally used in the walking foot machines,it could have been changede over the years to use either one,so measure yours & buy accordingly.

Edited by CowboyBob

Thanks for the help so far guys, I'm new to this stuff so be gentle. I guess now I need to learn how to properly measure a needle. All my other machines came with needles that I could see the size on the package when it came time to order. I included a pic of the needle in the machine currently. The smaller one next to it for comparison is a 135 x 8.

post-29879-0-93475000-1356225994_thumb.j

Is your needle your using smaller @ the top where it goes into the needle holder than the 135x5?

Yes, the shank is slightly smaller. The 135x5, even if the length was correct, does not fit into the needle holder.

I need to correct my last statement. The needle that fits the machine is slightly smaller than 135x8 needles that I have. I have no 135x5 needles and since I don't know what the numbers mean, I don't know which number is the shank size, if either is. The 135x8 is too large to fit into the needle holder even if the length was correct.

Ok,somebody must of raised your needlebar up to use 129 needles as they are small @ the top,leather needles in that size are very hard to get.You probably should lower the needlebar down to use a shorter needle like the 16x4 which you can get in a leather point real easy.The shorter needle will work better as it won't flex or break as easy.

Rut Roh. This sounds like something I'm going to have to pay someone to do. I'm also very confused here. Raising or lowering the needle bar would solve the problem of the length of the needle obvioulsy, but the 135 needles I have for my other machine are physically to big in diameter to fit in the needle bar. So do I have to replace the whole needle bar?

Just how hard are these 129's to get?

Yes, you could replace the needlebar if you want to use the 135x8 leather needles,BUT you can use the 16x4 needles which are real easy to get if you lower the needlebar the difference of the distance between the two.It really isn't that hard to do,just turn the machine so the needlebar is all the way down,mark it where it comes out of the casting it rides in either w/a magic marker,file or even a hacksaw(just a small mark) then look under the side cover & find the screw on the needlebar clamp that will be towards the bottom & lower it the amount needed.

Sounds easy huh?

I take it the amount needed would be the difference in length between the two needles. I'm probably stating the obvious but will ask anyway in the true spirit of the only dumb question is the unasked one.

Your help is much appreciated!

Mark

Yes,lower the needlebar the difference between them which will be 1/4"

Ok guys, I'm bringing this old thread back to life. I've exhausted my stock of needles that came with this machine when I bought it. I have taken Bob's advice and lowered my needlebar a 1/4".

Now, can anyone tell me a good online source for 16x4 needles?

Go back to Bob Kovar, He is the needle man. He helped you before he will do it again.