ryan

Leather working books

I see Proleptic Inc has got a good selection of books available. I was looking at Pete Gorrells pattern book and How to Establish Prices for the Leatherworker. Has anybody seen these yet and how did you like them. I am also looking for a copy of Harry Adams saddle making book that some people have referred to on this post.

Thanks

Ryan

I see Proleptic Inc has got a good selection of books available. I was looking at Pete Gorrells pattern book and How to Establish Prices for the Leatherworker. Has anybody seen these yet and how did you like them. I am also looking for a copy of Harry Adams saddle making book that some people have referred to on this post.

Thanks

Ryan

Ryan,

I have all three of these. Pete's pattern book is fairly good to give you basics on creating designs. He covers space and other issues fairly well with a few examples. It will certainly get you started in creating your own patterns.

The How to Establish Prices for the Leatherworker is very good. Since I have worked and costed projects in various industries (road construction/manufacturing/information technology), I found that his costing methods were quite good and the feedback with actuals to constantly update these to be quite good. He also covers a little economics and the future of saddlemaking with baby-boomers foing away (his opinion of course) as well as throwing in the arguments of a saddlemaking certification as a means to "command" decent wages. Overall a great book for costing that utilizes standard disciplined methodologies that are used in other industries.

Harry's saddlemaking book has a lot of comments on it in the Saddle section. It is a good one.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Ben

Ryan,

I have all three of these. Pete's pattern book is fairly good to give you basics on creating designs. He covers space and other issues fairly well with a few examples. It will certainly get you started in creating your own patterns.

The How to Establish Prices for the Leatherworker is very good. Since I have worked and costed projects in various industries (road construction/manufacturing/information technology), I found that his costing methods were quite good and the feedback with actuals to constantly update these to be quite good. He also covers a little economics and the future of saddlemaking with baby-boomers foing away (his opinion of course) as well as throwing in the arguments of a saddlemaking certification as a means to "command" decent wages. Overall a great book for costing that utilizes standard disciplined methodologies that are used in other industries.

Harry's saddlemaking book has a lot of comments on it in the Saddle section. It is a good one.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Ben

Ben,

Yeah, that helps a lot. A have been having a hell of a time coming up with prices lately. I gotta get out of that, "oh, I don't no, 20 bucks" quoting strategy! Where did you get your Harry Adams book? I have looked everywhere and can't find it.

Thanks

Ryan

Ben,

Yeah, that helps a lot. A have been having a hell of a time coming up with prices lately. I gotta get out of that, "oh, I don't no, 20 bucks" quoting strategy! Where did you get your Harry Adams book? I have looked everywhere and can't find it.

Thanks

Ryan

Ryan,

Bought mine MANY years ago from Harry. His daughter is selling it now. The format has changed from what I bought. Here's her email address. bettike@comcast.net

Phone number is 801.222.9161.

Regards,

Ben

Ryan,

Bought mine MANY years ago from Harry. His daughter is selling it now. The format has changed from what I bought. Here's her email address. bettike@comcast.net

Phone number is 801.222.9161.

Regards,

Ben

Thanks