Sign in to follow this  
jbradford

Consew 290 Advice

Howdy. I ran across an older Consew 290 industrial machine that currently has a 3 phase motor. I have not sewn with a machine before. The machine appears to be in very good shape. If I spend $100 for the machine/table, would it be cost effective to put a 110 motor on it, with a speed reducer? I have been informed the motor, install, set up and reducer would be in the $250 neighborhood. Soooo, I would have around $350 in the rig. Any advice will be appreciated. Also, would the mod's make this machine suitable for sewing up to a 8-9 oz thickness? Again, I'm new to sewing, so use small words and type very slowly!

Thanks,

Jim

Jim,

We have a D.C.Servo motor that has a built-in reducer that should mount in the same 3 holes that your table has for the 3-phase motor for less $$ & it'll work better because when you have a motor & reducer separate you have to slide the belt off to tilt the machine back.

Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Thx,

Bob

Jim

I have 2 of the motors Bob is telling you about.

Would not go back to the motor and separate speed reducer.

No holes to drill, cutting table for belt clearance.

Can tilt the head without messing with the belt tension and just seams to work better or has more control.

It will save you time, money, and headache.

Thank you for your replies! If I put on (or have one put on) a servo motor w/ built in speed reducer, do you guys think this would be a machine that is capable of working well? I do not do production type work, but would like to be able to sew medium weight leather on the things I make. So far, it has mostly been notebook covers and a few knife sheaths. I know it depends on the thickness of the leather I'm sewing. Mostly so far has been around 6-8 oz w/ 3-4 oz backing. I did just make some suspenders that is 8-9 oz with a 5-6 oz backing. It's pretty thick, but I would probably use a little lighter weight leather on the next ones.

There is adequate room under the "foot" for the leather to fit. I'm not sure if I can use a thick enough needle and thread to work well. The needles that came with this machine are DB x 95, 16x95, #22 (140). I'm not really sure what that all means (sorry!), or what size thread they accomodate. It has been suggested that if I could get it set up to sew up to 209 (?) thread, I would be happy to have that capability.

Ideally, I would like to be able to sew up some custom breast collars for my saddles, but I understand that probably requires a true harness type stitcher.

I guess my main concern is whether or not it is worth it to invest a couple of hundred dollars in this Consew 290.

Thank you very much for your help!

I think those suspenders you sewed are close to the max for this machine,the largest thread you can use is #92 in it.

Bob