DoubleC

Leather Pendant I Made Today.

OK, as usual I had no idea this would take so long, intended to put the whole necklace up, but things take the time they take. I'm going to make it all out of leather supplies, a sewn leather jump ring, and Tandy gold/black lace, oh well that doesn't matter. Any help to improve as always greatly appreciated. Cheryl

Hey Cheryl;

I'm not a bling guy so the stones don't do anything for me, I'd probably put them somewhere else, on the lace maybe.

If you use some block out on the stamp impression it won't get as dark and you'll be able to see it better plus you'll get some contrast.

The impressions around the edge look good.

post-19342-050411500 1326671893_thumb.jp

Hey Cheryl;

I'm not a bling guy so the stones don't do anything for me, I'd probably put them somewhere else, on the lace maybe.

If you use some block out on the stamp impression it won't get as dark and you'll be able to see it better plus you'll get some contrast.

The impressions around the edge look good.

Thanks Kevin. I'm making these for cowgirls (or girls) so I thought maybe rhinestone eyes would perk it up for them. actually I don't like them either, LOL. The foals eye and mares are the same size, and although so tiny you would not believe how hard they are to set, they shouldn't be the same size. and the next time I'm going to add a little water to the dye because i don't even like it that dark. This block stuff, something you can get a tandy online? Or my Tandy seller? Never mind, heading to my tandy guy so I'll look. That's for writing, Cheryl

Get a very small paint brush and just block out the horses,let that dry , do it again and let it dry then dye the entire concho, leave the dye on for thirty seconds then wipe the entire concho with a damp sponge very lightly.

You'll see the horses better.

Instead of the eyes maybe you could just put one on the concho as a birth stone if you have different colors.

Check this link ...

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/Resisting-Techniques/Resisting-Techniques.aspx

Edited by Tree Reaper

Get a very small paint brush and just block out the horses,let that dry , do it again and let it dry then dye the entire concho, leave the dye on for thirty seconds then wipe the entire concho with a damp sponge very lightly.

Instead of the eyes maybe you could just put one on the concho as a birth stone if you have different colors.

Check this link ...

http://www.tandyleat...Techniques.aspx

What do you use as a "dye" K? Because I used fiebings over Super Sheen and got a very interesting shade of turd muckaldy dunn (gross taupe)

I think the Hi-lights work ok with Super Sheen but not Fieblings dyes.

I really like the Eco-Flo Gel Antique in Saddle Tan finished with super sheen.

Check this link ...

http://www.tandyleat...Techniques.aspx

[/quote

I have it on my list for Feb. Kevin. I also have a new bottle of resolene and may experiment with that too. I really don't have anything to lose except another concho.........

Thanks for the videos, don't know where you get then at Tandy but they are really good. Thanks, Cheryl

Oh yes I had different colors, so could do that.

What do you use as a "dye" K? Because I used fiebings over Super Sheen and got a very interesting shade of turd muckaldy dunn (gross taupe)

I think the Hi-lights work ok with Super Sheen but not Fieblings dyes.

Fiebings of course.....Why would I have two things that might work together :-)

OK, as usual I had no idea this would take so long, intended to put the whole necklace up, but things take the time they take. I'm going to make it all out of leather supplies, a sewn leather jump ring, and Tandy gold/black lace, oh well that doesn't matter. Any help to improve as always greatly appreciated. Cheryl

Hi CC

I like the idea, but I think I agree with TreeReaper about the bling eyes. Reminds me of "Spawn of Diablo" or something.

Is it possible for you to impress the horses deeper? I would like to see more detail in the horses and less background.

Pretty colors and some bling would make these very cool (might even end up as a hat band!

Syl

Thanks for the videos, don't know where you get then at Tandy but they are really good.

Try this link for the list of videos

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-usd/Leathercraft-Videos.aspx

Here is a link to all of the free vids on the TLF site:

Free Tandy vids

You can also pay a subscription, and see over 100 diff vids at Tandy's "Leathercraft Library"

Leathercraft Library

I admit, I subscribed for 1 month, I feel it was very worth it. There's a lot of video there to watch in 1 month...

Enjoy,

Kevin

Hi CC

I like the idea, but I think I agree with TreeReaper about the bling eyes. Reminds me of "Spawn of Diablo" or something.

Is it possible for you to impress the horses deeper? I would like to see more detail in the horses and less background.

Pretty colors and some bling would make these very cool (might even end up as a hat band!

Syl

First think I'm gonna do Syl is practice with that 3D stamp some more. I bought a spring loaded handle for my the stamp, supposed to make a deeper impression, but I'm not seeing it. It doesn't seem to fit right, wiggles around. So going back to my regular handle, assuming I can find it :-) And don'tcha just hate that spawn of diablo look???

First think I'm gonna do Syl is practice with that 3D stamp some more. I bought a spring loaded handle for my the stamp, supposed to make a deeper impression, but I'm not seeing it. It doesn't seem to fit right, wiggles around. So going back to my regular handle, assuming I can find it :-) And don'tcha just hate that spawn of diablo look???

I think the thought was good but sometimes things just don't look as good in real life as we imagine them. LOL I know you have some limitations so I would try a heavier mallet. Sometimes I use a Dead Blow hammer. I weights about 12-16 oz (or more) and It really does some persuading.

Here is a link to all of the free vids on the TLF site:

Free Tandy vids

You can also pay a subscription, and see over 100 diff vids at Tandy's "Leathercraft Library"

Leathercraft Library

I admit, I subscribed for 1 month, I feel it was very worth it. There's a lot of video there to watch in 1 month...

Enjoy,

Kevin

Hi Kevin..yeah I know about their leathercraft library. I got some free downloads from there, actually all the free one I could get, I'm sure it is worth it. Except me and money don't seem to be on speaking terms anymore, LOL. I remember why now, it was the day I touched one of my bridles, or some kind of leather and said, 'I could do that.' You smell leather, hay, horse, listen to the creak of the saddle, and you don't have a chance, the leather bug WILL eventually bite you, and if having a horse doesn't cause bankruptcy, the leather will :-)

I edited this because I remembered something......

Edited by DoubleC

Try this link for the list of videos

http://www.tandyleat...aft-Videos.aspx

Thanks Kevin, I just bookmarked it for today

I think the thought was good but sometimes things just don't look as good in real life as we imagine them. LOL I know you have some limitations so I would try a heavier mallet. Sometimes I use a Dead Blow hammer. I weights about 12-16 oz (or more) and It really does some persuading.

aint that the truth, ROFL. I've noticed that about every time I touch leather! I don't have a heavier mallet, I have a cheap wood one. Some dayhead_hurts_kr.gif

New Pendant, same crappy work on my end. Oh and resolene doesn't block. And although I had a fairly good impression, I just had to try and 'tweek' it. with a background tool, make the impression deeper. I don't think I wanna play anymore

Edited by DoubleC

It's the life of a leather worker!

I usually have to do everything two and three times, maybe more before I'm happy with it.

It's the life of a leather worker!

I usually have to do everything two and three times, maybe more before I'm happy with it.

I know Kevin, but I don't have what I need right now and my improvising isn't working, I have no block, I have no rubbing alcohol to cut the dye with, I think I'll just stamp some up for next month (BTW looked it up, birthstone for Feb. is amethyst and have those in rhinestone settings) and once I get what I need, oh crap what am I gonna blame then? I decided to switch to rose earrings, same concept, probably same results :-) Thanks for your support, Cheryl

I tried rubbing alcohol to cut dye with and it didn't work. I read on here to use denatured alcohol, and it works. You can get it at a hardware store.