SeattleLeather

Question About Edger Sizes

Hello again! Back for more awesome information! So I'm about to pull the trigger on buying a good chunk of my first bunch of tools, and I still haven't been able to definitively find the answer to a pretty basic question looking online. Just some stuff that vaguely touches on the subject.

I want to work with fairly heavy leather for belts etc. I want to do 12 oz and 14 oz. What size edger do I need? We should talk actual measurements in inches because the size number changes by brand.

What I want to be able to accomplish is a completely rounded (so basically a half circle) edge on the pieces. Some stuff I'll probably leave squared off, but some pieces I will want round. I believe for this task I want the "Common" edger, not Western or some other type? It's not really clear with some what the difference is in the end product from looking online.

Some websites have listed things on the bigger sizes size 4 or 5 (which is 13/64 or 7/32 etc) "Good for heavy leather 12oz+" etc.

So I suppose the simple thing to ask is: do I want an edger with measurements that are the same as the actual thickness of my leather? It popped into my head one might want half the thickness of the actual leather since you do the top and bottom, but that doesn't seem right either.

So should I try to match edger size with leather thickness? If so, how much fluff room is there to work with? 12 oz is 3/16, which is commonly available. 14 oz is 7/32, also available. So do I need both sizes optimally, or can I just get one since they're FAIRLY close and make it work? Obviously getting the "perfect" one later.

Also while on the subject, I've read a lot discussing brands. A lot of people swear by some of the really boutique brands... And those may lie in my future... But they're just a tad bit more than I want to spend right now. I need to spring for numerous super basic tools, and I don't want to go too overboard with $100 single tools and whatnot when it sounds like 30 or 50 dollar ones are pretty solid.

After looking at pricing I'm thinking CS Osborne or Weaver Master Tools. Whadda you guys think? I'm strongly considering Weaver punches over Osborne because it sounds like theirs are a bit better for not much price difference. This seems to be fairly consistent thought on the board, although it might be mainly that the Weaver ones come better sharpened from the factory. If I go with placing a Weaver order (the minimum is all that's holding me back since I have a Tax ID) I can pick and choose since they carry both. So are the Weaver edgers better, or Osborne?

Thank you in advance, you guys are great!

And I guess I'll toss this in there too since I was just poking around a bit more... Osborne also has their "No. 126 Finest Edge" models, which run near twice as much as their No. 125 line and say they're drop forged when the 125 doesn't. Then they also have their "No. 127 Keen Edge" line which says "Ideal to round the edges of leather". What's the deal???

Are the 126s/127s better for my purpose? Is the 126 better than the 125, or just a different purpose? If so do either of those out perform the Weaver stuff, even if Weaver out performs the 125? It's hard to tell! All are still far more affordable than the boutique companies.

Edited by SeattleLeather

Anybody? I'm sure there has to be some rule of thumb for size of edger vs thickness of leather?

I really want to order some stuff soon, but I don't want a bunch of sizes that won't be immediately useful for me if I can avoid it.

Anybody? I'm sure there has to be some rule of thumb for size of edger vs thickness of leather?

I really want to order some stuff soon, but I don't want a bunch of sizes that won't be immediately useful for me if I can avoid it.

NOPE. It's whatever effect you want. GENERALLY, I like a "#2" on stuff that's 7/8 oz and under and a "#3" on stuff that's 9oz and up (total thickness). Also, I don't usually do any work that's above about 12oz total. I used a Keen Edge and it was terrible. The classic ones by various old makers will be good though. Check out Bruce Johnson's website for some good information on the different types of edgers. You DO want one that will be "half the thickness" because you work top and bottom. Remember, the edger doesn't make the rounded profile (in general), it just knocks off the corner. Some of them do leave things rounder than others though.

Right now I'm using an Osborne #125 and I really like it. The only downside is that the tips stick out pretty far, so I've had to place my work on edge of the bench at times to get thinner pieces edged.

http://springfieldle...125,#2,5-32-in/

http://brucejohnsonl...-french-edgers/

Edited by Cyberthrasher

NOPE. It's whatever effect you want. GENERALLY, I like a "#2" on stuff that's 7/8 oz and under and a "#3" on stuff that's 9oz and up (total thickness). Also, I don't usually do any work that's above about 12oz total. I used a Keen Edge and it was terrible. The classic ones by various old makers will be good though. Check out Bruce Johnson's website for some good information on the different types of edgers. You DO want one that will be "half the thickness" because you work top and bottom. Remember, the edger doesn't make the rounded profile (in general), it just knocks off the corner. Some of them do leave things rounder than others though.

Right now I'm using an Osborne #125 and I really like it. The only downside is that the tips stick out pretty far, so I've had to place my work on edge of the bench at times to get thinner pieces edged.

http://springfieldle...125,#2,5-32-in/

http://brucejohnsonl...-french-edgers/

Thanks for the info! I pretty well assumed the above, but it's nice to have it confirmed. I guess it's just one of those things where all the websites kind of assume you already know the super basic stuff, so nobody even touches on it! So I guess a 3/16ths and maybe one size up are in my future then! I guess some super tiny one could be cool for down the road too for nuance stuff, but I can probably hold off on that. The 125 is probably what I will get as well, looking at one at a local shop the other day it seemed to be more "rounded" and have a bigger area the leather can fit into.

Thanks again!!!