joyceakiko

Machine Comparison: 153W 103 Singer Vs. Chandler 406Rb-1

I am debating between two machines for my first leather sewing machine.

I'll be stitching through about 3/8" max so I don't need anything too heavy duty.

I read through a ton of posts on this forum and it seems like people really know what they're talking about! With every industrial/compound walking foot machine I found on Craigslist, I was able to find a corresponding review on this forum. Turns out most of the machines in my area are junk, though I did find one that had generally favorable reviews from you guys.

It's a 153W 103 Singer, and it's going for $800. Here's the link: http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/for/4606315599.html

And here's the poster's description:

"For sale very clean industrial sewing machine. Works like new. Comes with extra feet and bobbins. Has a walking foot. Was made to sew heave material. Has large machine pulley to slow down and increase the power of this machine. Has offset table and has a extension table to work with. Machine is a 153W 103 Singer."

I like that I won't have to pay for shipping and that it's a few hundred bucks cheaper than the Chandler - but then again I'm not sure how long it's been since it's been serviced, what kind of motor it has, or how well it'll handle or for how long.

So my question is: is it worth getting this machine and saving a couple hundred bucks instead of getting a brand new Chandler 406RB-1, which seems to be the perfect fit for everything I'm looking for except the price?

Your feedback is much appreciated.

The Singer has no reverse. The cylinder arm is very nice for sewing gussets in bags, and I see in the ad that there is a flat table attachment which comes in real handy. I have a 153w101 and like it, although the stitch length adjuster has fouled threads, it still works but not how the factory intended, so check that if you go look at it. Also that massive handwheel is probably a shop built deal.

What will you be making? Can you sew everything flat? Do you need reverse?

Reverse would be a nice to have. I can sew everything flat right now, yes. My projects are bags, purses, that kind of thing.

Thanks for the response!

Edited by joyceakiko