Mike516

How To Set-Up Arbor Press

I posted this as a question in another existing thread but it's really not on topic there. So I decided to re-post it here...apologies for a double post but I can't remove the other one.

I went to Harbor Freight and picked up one of their 1 ton presses. Mainly because I don't like the way my 3D stamps have been coming out on 3/4 oz leather. I ordered a 3/8 inch thick steel plate and am waiting for that to arrive. I have to get some wood clamps or something to secure it to my bench. And I'm trying to think what I should use to put on top of the steel plate - under the leather to get a nice crisp stamp.

So I was wondering if anyone else uses regularly an Arbor press, and if so what kind of set-up you have. I could try trial and error but if I could get some help here I'm hoping to save myself some anxiety :)

3-4 oz. isn't very heavy for stamping.

Granite might have been a better choice than the steel for stamping but you can use nylon or poundo board on top of your steel plate.

Edited by Tree Reaper

I think I wasn't clear. I use granite for stamping with a mallet. I'm referring here to an Arbor press (the title of the thread). Sorry for the confusion.

No confusion Mike.

You can also use granite for stamping with an arbor press.

You get smaller pieces cut to size, the problem is you have to buy a little larger press to accommodate the thickness of the granite but I don't know which press you purchased.

I was thinking of doing the same thing.

When we get these arbor presses do we need to do anything to adapt them to accept the stamps?

I have an arbor press that I also use for stamping letters, numbers, and designs.

I took a piece of 1/2 inch plate steel, . . . placed it across the feet of my press, . . . and it is my bed for stamps, rivets, and when I get the right tool, . . . snaps.

The only change I made, . . . I covered it with 2 inch wide masking tape to prevent any discoloration of the leather from the metal.

Admittedly, . . . I don't do a lot with 3/4 leather, . . . but mine has come through for me in every case.

As far as a "nice crisp stamp" goes, . . . the harder the plate under it, . . . the crisper the stamp, . . . but with 3/4 leather, . . . there is not enough thickness to get a really super looking stamp.

AND, . . . forget the clamp idea, . . . bolt that thing down to your bench or whatever you want to use it on. Guaranteed, . . . if you don't, . . . it will move, . . . it will ruin a project, . . . and you WILL be unhappy. Temporary bolts with wing nuts will work if you only want to use it for a while, . . . but you are creating a huge force when you get your hand out on the end of that handle, . . . pulled all the way out, . . .

Another thing you will want to do: adjust the handle so it is most comfortable for you to use.

Are you left handed? If so, . . . take the collar off the left side of the gear shaft, . . . slide the shaft out the right side, . . . put it back in on the other side, . . . it makes a left handed press.

Also, . . . put on your plate, . . . then block up the ram with a piece of wood simulating the length of your stamps, . . . and adjust the arm to be where it is most comfortable for you. I have mine just below horizontal, . . . it allows me to slip the handle onto my shoulder, . . . so I can reposition with both hands if I need to, . . . my shoulder holding the ram just up off the stamp.

You adjust it by lowering it onto the block, . . . slide the gear arm out, . . . then slip it back in wherever it most comfortable for you.

May God bless,

Dwight

TR I said I bought a Harbor Freight 1 ton press.

MT you take the plate with the slots off the base and replace it with a steel plate, unless you want to try granite as TR suggested.

It is that simple? Sweet. I think I will pick one up at Princess Auto next time I am in that part of town.

Good info Dwight. The tape especially is a very good idea. I was thinking if I used a thick piece of leather under the 3/4 oz it would help bring the image out.

It is that simple? Sweet. I think I will pick one up at Princess Auto next time I am in that part of town.

I haven't used it yet, I'm still setting it up so don't take what I say as gospel. I hear some people don't like the small arbor presses and prefer heavier duty presses. Not sure yet but the 1 ton was cheap and I had a 20% off so I couldn't pass up the idea of trying it out. Not to mention it's at least another tool that I have now :) Never too many tools.

I lay a piece of steel on the plate that came with the press and it works fine. No need for any tape on the steel that i can see unless your steel is rusty. I've never had any discoloring on the leather using the steel. It's not like it going to be on there a long time.

dirtclod, you use the thing with the slots in it, or did you take that off?

You can do it either way, . . . but if you remove it, . . . lay the plate steel across the legs, . . . you get a little wider base, . . . less chance of tipping the thing, . . . and you can drill the back of the plate, . . . screw it to the legs. That will let you build a moveable fence that you can use to align your stamps and make your stamping look a lot more professional.

May God bless,

Dwight

Mike516 i leave the sloted plate on and lay my piece of steel on it. The steel doesn't go any place when you press. Theirs no need to make mountain out of a mole hill IMHO.

When i do a piece that has several letters i find the center of the piece set a letter on the center and measure to the edge. How ever wide it is from the top edge of the letter i measure and cut a piece of scrap 1/2 wider and glue a lip on it then hold it all togeather with a couple of binder clips and you have a fence made in a couple of minutes that you could / can use over and over if your making the same thing over and over.

I stamp a good bit of 3/4. And your thoughts on putting a heavier piece of scrap under it is a good one. It will make a world of difference. Try some different firmnesses of leather to get the impression you want.

I haven't used my arbor press is a while so I really don't remember if I used a piece under those jobs or not.

There are a few stamps that I don't know if I'll get the entire image, the eagle comes to mind, can never get all the feathers to show. We'll see when I get all the parts and start pressin". Thanks for all the tips and advice, much appreciated.

Dwight-

Would you post a picture of your arbor set up? (I just brought the 1 ton home an hour ago)- trying to visualize yours....sounds like the way I want to go...

Thanks!

I got the 1 ton as well. I was probably over thinking the set-up too.

I simply drilled some holes right into my bench and bolted it down. Then I got a 3/16" thick 4 x 6" piece of rolled steel for the base and a Tandy Ramfoot. And that's it. Works like a charm.

I can't believe all this time I been hammering these stupid stamps out with a mallet because I didn't want to spring for $360 for a Tandy imprinting machine.

Arbor press resized.jpg

post-27080-0-53979400-1390581883_thumb.j

Anyone have any ideas (pictures preferred) of constructing an apparatus to keep letter stamps in line. I have basically the same set up as above but still have trouble lining up letters and stamps. Saw a device on LW once before but for the life of me I cannot find it again.

I don't have the fancy one made yet, . . . when I do, . . . it will be square white vinyl tubing, white vinyl angle, . . . the square tubing being bolted to the back of the press, . . . the angle guides being adjusted in and out by 1/4 x 28 threads and springs.

I figure when I get time to do it, . . . it'll be a couple hours work, . . . but it will be worth it.

Presently, . . . I'd use the "C" clamp set up if I couldn't just eyeball it. I did a leash for a friend over Christmas, . . . name and 10 digit phone number, . . . did it on a 1 inch strap, . . . all by eyeball, . . . turned out AOK, . . . but I wouldn't do that with belts or something I had a lot of other time or material invested in it.

Hope this helps.

May God bless,

Dwight

rampress.jpg

rampress 2.JPG

post-6728-0-85921800-1390657676_thumb.jp

post-6728-0-97437800-1390657690_thumb.jp

Does anyone have pics of mods done to the ram rod to hold the ram foot in place, or mods to convert the arbor press to making snaps and rivets and such?

Lydian8

I am on my tablet right now or I would search for the info.. if you knock a tooth or two off of the Arbor press it will allow your arm to ratchet so it's easier to use. It's worth looking up.

I don't even use the ram foot when I'm stamping using my press (usually in the middle of the night) I just push right on the stamp. It doesn't seem to matter what size, shape or font. I just mash em down in the leather and get on with it. I might build one of Dwight's fences though. That is a good idea. I have an old cutting board that looks like prime fence material.

Also, I glued a couple pieces of 1/8th" thick steel together to make my base. I put a magnet in the little crotch between the thing's legs and it holds the plate still. I covered the steel with tape, and found that if you are not square on a stamp (beveling etc) that tape will slide all over the place and then I cuss so much I shoulda just used a hammer in the first place. I took the tape off, and bought a push beveler and some spoons. It is slow, but works pretty well. This press is pretty good for lettering and big stamps and not bad for geometrics, but I can't tool with it worth a damn. Same goes for snaps and rivets. When I use the press, I bend every one. Maybe one day I'll drill a hole in the arbor, until then I have a rubber mallet and a 1/2" thick piece of rubber glued to the back side of my marble.

Go to your local granite place and ask for some scrap or samples. They are more than happy to let you pick through the scrap pile or dispose of samples no longer necessary. After using a 1 ton for a few months, I invested in a 2 ton and what a difference! Much more accurate, more working room and much easier to get a crisp impression. It also has a deeper throat so I can stamp much bigger pieces as well as larger custom stamps.

Cya!

Bob

I was delighted to find this thread because I've been researching clickers, arbor and other presses for a fair while now.

Learned a lot. So, thanks to all of those who contributed.

The only thing that I would add is that most of my other research indicates that there should be a pad of some type between the leather and the bottom steel plate of the press. Apparently, this both allows for a deeper, clearer impression AND makes the stamps themselves last longer.