Soybomb

How Would You Fix This Purse?

My girlfriend is pretty rough on purses. She's found one she likes but its already started to fall apart at the same place they all usually do. The straps and strap attachment points never last. I'd love some suggestions on how we might be able to fix it because I can't think of anything that would look good so far.

Here's the damage

purse1.jpg

purse2.jpg

I've really only done holster work and I stitch by hand so feel free to guide me on what I might need to pickup from tandy, I won't be offended :D Right now I have 5/6 shoulder, 7/8 shoulder, 5/6 belly, 000 harness needles and big ol' waxed thread that is probably too ugly for a purse, and an assortment of chicago screws.

Thanks!

Edited by Soybomb

Do you have any pictures of the whole purse? Difficult to know what to suggest without seeing the whole article.

Looks to me like the straps are some sort of vinyl, or at least probably vinyl covered pseudo-leather from the way they're tearing. My guess is that the material is what's failing not the stitching.

Looks to me like the strap attachment was sewn straight across. This would cause a perforated line, like there is on a postage stamp. Makes for a nice, clean tear!

If I was the one that made that purse, I would have stitched about 1/8" inside the contour of the attachment, and/or used rivets to attach it to the purse body. I'm sure there are more than one way to skin a cat, though. I'll be interested to hear what others have to say.

That strap looks like vinal to me, use leather with larger stiches per inch then

put a rivett in them.

Thanks for the help, as requested here's a couple more pictures

purse3.jpg

purse4.jpg

What cut/weight leather would be appropriate to make acceptable purse straps from? i'll try to hit up tandy next week. Thread/needle suggestions would be great too. Thanks again!

I myself would replace the broken side with 2-3 oz or 4 oz leather like chap or upholstry leather. the other side will last a while. but yes its vinyl n it happens a lot. im replacing tabs all the time with leather. usually the overlapped ring side breaks first the direct side with no ring lasts a bit longer. that purse youd have to build a whole new handle if you reaplace it. im doing those purses all the time n the big favorite "coach" purses im fixing all the time for stuff like that. for whatone pays for the name of those they should last a long time lol. hopefully this helps some. Bronc/Bonnie