imstephenjones

Can Anyone Tell Me What Sewing Machine This Is?

I took these as screen shots from a video I was watching of one of my favorite bag makers, Artifact Bags. He does all the work I want to do on this machine, unfortunately there are no shots of the front in any of the videos.

post-37076-0-01867400-1354978609_thumb.p

post-37076-0-92541400-1354978596_thumb.p

I was hoping we had some expert Consew enthusiasts who could help me narrow it down. From the looks of it, it seems to be a Consew 206RB-3. But I could be mistaken! He uses this machine to sew through leather and duck canvas. The canvas, I know, is 14 oz. waxed canvas, and he uses a Horween leather, the type I am unsure of. I'm just getting into the leather market. Also, I'm curious if this is a stock motor he has running on it or if this is definitely an upgrade. Here is the website of his shop: http://artifactbags.com

Maybe someone can lead me in the right direction for the weight and style of the leather used as well?

Cheers! And thank you!

Edited by imstephenjones

Why not just email Artifactbags and ask?

I went to his blog and found out he uses many machines, the Consew, a 7 class Singer, and a cylinder sewing machine. You will need two sewing machines to make his type of bags, it looks like he sews the sides first on the Consew, and then sews the bottom with the cylinder machine. Could you attach the site to his video?

It could be a consew 206rb but it's not a -3. Probably a -1 because it doesn't have the two bolt on plates that the -3 and -5 have on the back of the body.

As for sewing through 14oz of canvas, that's not a problem for this machine.

The motor on it looks like a standard aftermarket servo with a small pulley. The 206RB machines usual come with a fast clutch motor for upholstery. The servos give you better energy efficiency and easier control. The smaller pulley slows down the motor which is also good for control.

Looking at the bags, the leather is probably around 5oz thick. Any thicker than that and you have a very heavy bag. As for what type of leather, you're gonna have to ask them Horween makes all sorts of different leathers.

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Chee

I use several machines in my shop. As far as Consew, my 206's are vintage RB-1 and RB-2. I also use older Consew 227R and 227 cylinder beds.

For heavier harness I had been using a Singer 7-34 and a Singer 45K, but lately I've been using a Cobra Class 4. Night and day difference.

I often switch out old clutch motors for new servos because they are cheap, run quiet, are more energy efficient, and provide more control and consistent torque.

Best,

Chris Hughes

I use several machines in my shop. As far as Consew, my 206's are vintage RB-1 and RB-2. I also use older Consew 227R and 227 cylinder beds.

For heavier harness I had been using a Singer 7-34 and a Singer 45K, but lately I've been using a Cobra Class 4. Night and day difference.

I often switch out old clutch motors for new servos because they are cheap, run quiet, are more energy efficient, and provide more control and consistent torque.

Best,

Chris Hughes

Welcome to the community and thanks for chiming in Chris! Nice looking bags you got there.

Thanks Ron!

---Chris

Chris! My best friend is in Omaha! Anyway, where do you find your servo motors?

Thanks!

-Paul, in CA for 25 years, but I'll always be from Iowa.

Great looking stuff Chris - can't wait to watch your video when I get home!

Chris! My best friend is in Omaha! Anyway, where do you find your servo motors?

Thanks!

-Paul, in CA for 25 years, but I'll always be from Iowa.

Paul,

I've bought some of my servos from AllBrands. The others have come from Weaver leather. The AllBrand servos are a bit nicer, but the Weaver ones cost less.

---Chris

Best,

Chris Hughes

Thanks for the feedback Chris, I really appreciate it.

I picked up a Pfaff 1245 from govliquidation.com, and it seems to be doing the trick. It's sewing through quite a few layers of 14 oz. canvas with no problems, I haven't counted, but it was plenty.

As for heavier harness sewing, I am looking at it from a distance. Right now I'm doing some pretty basic bag work. I will say that your video inspired me to start my own bag/accessory business. I really enjoyed the story behind Artifact Bag Co. I was doing a 30 day mission out of Germany with the Air Force and watched that video just about every day to keep the inspiration alive. A week after I got home I owned an industrial machine and a small arsenal of leather working tools. I feel like I owe you one.

If you wouldn't mind me picking your brain we can start a conversation through email (stephen [at] blackanchorworkshop.com). Hope to hear from you.

Cheers,

Stephen Jones