AZThunderPony

Fitting different types of backs

I just wanted to thank everyone for all the wonderful information you are sharing here. For the first time ina long time in a forum situation the differences of opinion are educating and not damaging.

SMBacks.jpg

This is a sampling of backs of different ages, and sizes of the same breed. Some pics are of 20 some year old horses from the 60's some are recent shots of 2 year olds, some are at varied ages in between. Heights range from 13 to 15 hands. All are stallions. in varying condition or non condition.

All have these common problems with fitting saddles. They have muscling that reaches from the neck along the sides of mild withers ending deep into the back, round backs, narrow shoulders that meet up with well sprung ribs, round barrels, short backs that rise up slighty into the loin. If they have good shoulders they should be well layed back which places the saddle too far back for anything but a full or 15/16th rigging and a three point tie off.

I have yet to find a saddle that had all the parts come together in such a way as to fit this breed as a breed... Trees? Are you kidding?

This is a project: you guys want to share some thoughts?

Thanks for your info and time!

Susan Catt

Bear Paw Ranch

Arizona

Hi AZT Welcome

Welcome, AZThunderPony. Glad to have you aboard.

You have given a good verbal description of your breed, and it does sound like there are a number of things different enough that a tree made for a "typical" quarter horse would not fit easily on these horses. Something that would help a lot in getting a better idea of the shape of these horses' backs would be some pictures taken from different angles. One taken from behind and slightly above the horse so we can see the back side to side, and two others angled from about 45 degrees to the front and to the back of the horse would give us more of a 3D view. Is this a possibility?

Are you looking for an English or Western saddle? You mention that all these pictures come from stallions. Do you have the same problems in fit with mares and geldings? Is it worse with the stallions? What specific problems have you had with previous saddles?

Lots of questions to start out with, but that is generally our approach to figuring out a fit problem. The more information we have, especially pictures, the better we can figure out what would need to be done to fit your horses the best. Should be an interesting discussion.

Hi Rod and Denise. I'm not sure if you have spoke with Terry Moore, but he is my saddle maker. Or he is making the saddle I feel will fit a Spanish Mustang. Since Terry will be making the saddle I'm guessing from our conversations that you guys will be making the tree. I was hoping folks on here would comment on some of the problems varied breeds face, since not everyone has the typical QH, Draft, TB or Arab type horses. lol

The saddle I'm having made is a customized version of an 1880's/On the Border, saddle. We are still discussing trees, but the one I'm leaning toward is the Meana or Slick Fork. Since Terry owns the same breed as I do, and has the "Mustang" tree (I believe you made for him), and has successfully fit his own horses who share the listed attributes in the earlier post, I feel he is best suited to be my saddle maker.

However, there are many Spanish Mustang owners looking for good saddles that fit their horses. Many production saddles have been tried, so far very few actually fit this breed correctly. There is a large enough venue out there within this breed to warrant some interest to Saddle Makers and Tree makers. So I've been on a reseach journey to bring this delima to the attention of those who can make a difference. In doing so I hope saddles will begin to emerge that are built in such away that Spanish "Type" horses particularly Spanish Mustangs (Barbs, Colonial Spanish or what have you) will be able to perform comfortably.

The biggest problems I have faced fitting Spanish Mustangs are:

1) rigging (3/4) to 5/8) too far back on rib cage, causes saddle to slip up onto shoulders and cinch to become loose.

2) Back of tree digs into the loins

3) pinching at withers

4) tree cutting into the muscling along ribheads

4) gaps between front of tree and back of tree along horses backs (one or both sides)

5) improper contact at wither/shoulder pocket (to tight, or to sloppy)

6) many types of riggins such as flat plate dig into horses ribs)

As for sex and size, no it doesnt seem to matter too much regarding saddle fit accept it seems the mares appear to be a bit rounder, which compounds the above fit issues. Mares also do not carry themselve as elevated as stallions which I suppose could throw off the balance as well.

Good luck folks... I am really interested to see what kinds of approaches will be put on the table to address these "issues" which by-the-way show up collectively on almost every horse as well as on some horses indepently.

Thanks for the post.

Susan Catt

Bear Paw Ranch

Arizana

Edited by AZThunderPony

Susan,

Welcome to the group. Your questions are almost exactly what I had in mind when I started this whole saddle tree line of questions. I think most of us feel like we can decently fit most of our customer's horses with what we are using now. But what do we do when the customer comes in who doesn't ride the average 1100# QH? The person who has the more Spanish influenced horse, the gaited horse, or whatever, and wants to ride in a western saddle. The off the rack saddles (and trees) are probably not going to work, and that is where we can help fit the bill. Again to bring up shoes. The average person buys off the rack shoes, the average rider buys an off the rack saddle. The person who has foot problems needs either orthotics or custom made shoes. The specialty shoe market is a very miniscule part of the total number of shoes sold, just as custom saddles are. It is still a viable market.

Your questions and comments on rigging type and position are interesting. That is one of the areas I wanted to go to, with carrying on this whole fit and saddlemaking thread. Like bars, I think that needs to sit on its own. Each of these could sit on their own to make this usable without a lot of searching.

My thoughts are to have separate threads for the top of the tree - cantles (style and angle), forks/swells/pommels (styles to a point - there are about a million, materials and attachment), tree covering (rawhide, glass, synthetics dips). Other than Rod and Denise's articles in LCSJ, there has not been much info coming from a tree maker.

Likewise separate threads for the rest of this area. Rigging type and position is probably secondary only to trees as fit issue. The best tree rigged wrong for a particular type of horse won't work. Skirts play a part. Should they be laced all the way back, or just to the bar points? Skirt linings - real woolskin, synthetic, gel inserts - all probably have their merits.

This is going to be the "never-ending" story....

Bruce Johnson

Thanks Bruce for your post.

Im adding some more pics of this breed. Just more food for thought.

MareBacks.jpg

Mares various sizes and ages. Broodmares, riding mares, fillies in varied states of condition (mostly fat).

Backs1.jpg

Stallion in herd condition. even with minimum condition, this horse shows a strong Latissimas Dorsi muscle (circle), plus the position of the erectors mm (Muscle) to the rib heads (short horizontal line on side of horse), also horizontal line above horse shows wither to croup alignement. Angled line along neck shows not only the angle of how the neck sits on but also how the neck with weight will appear to continue well into the back in true Spanish form.

backs.jpg

This is the back of my mare. Just for comparison sake. She is soft, in foal, and over weight.

Thanks again everyone for your contributions.

Susan Catt

Bear Paw Ranch

Arizona

Edited by AZThunderPony

Susan,

I see more than one back type here although pretty hard to say a whole lot from one single view. My understanding is that the Mustangs were influenced by the Barb (more of an angle to the ribs) from the south and a Canadian horse (well sprung rib cage) that looked like a Morgan from the north. Although I see variations in rib cage shape in every breed so I would hesitate to say that is a why the variation in the Mustangs. My point is you can never look at saddle fit in terms of breed. You can look at it in terms of ribcage shape and that will carry you across many breeds. Everyone seems to want to create the magic tree that will fit a breed and I'm sure Wrangler would like to make a pair of jeans that fits anyone that likes to sing but the reality is we have to fit the rib cage type of individual horses and not their breed. Although it is true that horses of a breed will often have similar characteristics, the notion of having a Mustang tree or a gaited horse tree is just marketing and has nothing to do with the reality of the horse. I have attached a tracing of a back I got in on Friday to emphasize how you just can’t say that you have a tree to fit a particular breed. Can anyone guess what breed of horse this is?

A word about withers: Withers can be long or short they can be straight or angled. Most are taught to look at the bump on the top of the horse and see that as the Wither but that is only the tip of the proverbial iceberg. Each vertebra has a bone sticking up out of the top called a spinal process on top of the spinal process there is a cap of cartilage where the dorsal ligament attaches. So the spinal processes are levers that work in conjunction with the cable system that is the dorsal ligament. The withers are longer levers. To get a handle on how long they really are you have to find the base of neck and look from there to the top of the whither and that will tell you how big the wither actually is. The more angle the wither has the further back into the body it will tie in. Horses with well-sprung rib cages and fuller muscle type are often thought to have less whither when often that is not the case you just can’t see it.

David Genadek

backmaptb.jpg

post-999-1179680389_thumb.jpg

My point is you can never look at saddle fit in terms of breed.

David Genadek

Not guessing, as you pointed out could be any breed. But the SPANISH mustang has certain physical attributes that do span thebreed as anorm just like everyother breed. These attributes are what we need to fit in general.

Horses with well-sprung rib cages and fuller muscle type are often thought to have less whither when often that is not the case you just can’t see it.

Since you are compadres with Liz, I'd have to say that you had ample time to view Whoddie (Janes) gelding?

David Genadek

Excatly my point when folks tryto tellme that Sm horses are "Mutton" withered. They have plenty of withers, but they also are very deeply buyilt horses wich causes the lower appearance on top.

David Genadek

Thanks Daid foryour post. I appreciate your observations.

Susan Catt

Bear Paw Ranch

Arizona

Susan,

Ahh so Whoddie is famous! I’ll tell him that next time he is here.

Let me comment on one of your other posts.

1) rigging (3/4) to 5/8) too far back on rib cage, causes saddle to slip up onto shoulders and cinch to become loose.

This is not a rigging position issue it is a tree fitting issue. Since rigging position is dependant on where the tree maker designed the tree to fit it is really hard to pin point issues in regard to position. If the tree fits properly you should have not have a problem positioning the cinch so that it is behind the elbow when the front leg is back as far as it can go. If you are using a double rigged saddle I would ask if you are using your rear cinch as tight as the front if not then you could have been causing the issue. Jane has documented her work with Liz quite well and probable has some photos of Whoodie with a saddle in the 5/8 position. The saddle she rides is also in the 5/8 positions so you might want to ask her what her experience has been in regard to rigging position.

This is common in all breeds and is usually because of two things one the tree does not have enough rock or the saddle is being placed to far back. I put an additional flair on the rear tip of the bar to prevent this from happening and it also lets me direct the rear of the skirt away from the hindquarters when I shape the skirts.

3) pinching at withers

The tree is just not the right shape or it has a downhill orientation and if so you are back to point 1 are you using the rigging properly.

This is a sign that the twist of the bar is incorrect for the shape of the back. You will have more of this issue on the Mustangs that have been more heavily influenced by the Barb. On the horse with a well-sprung rib cage you will get pressure on the bottom edge of the bar.

5) gaps between front of tree and back of tree along horses backs (one or both sides)

This is a product of more than one element being off. However, if the problem is only occurring on one side you should check the straightness of the horse. If the horse is moving so that the sternum is staying directly between the two front legs. Then he is straight if not you must correct the issue in training.

6) improper contact at wither/shoulder pocket (to tight, or to sloppy)

Here again this can have many causes but generally it means the bars are not the right shape for the horse. However a tree can fit perfect and you can negate the fit 100% with improper cinching so you might need to look back to 1.

7) Many types of riggings such as flat plate dig into horses ribs)

The top shape of bar to a large extent determines the angles that the rigging will be coming off the tree. So if the tree is the wrong shape for the back the chance that you will have rigging issues. The saddle maker should also be molding the rigging to the shape of the horse when they construct the saddle. If you have had trouble with flat plate it is not because it is a bad rigging it is more likely that it was improperly applied.

I do see people with every breed deciding that they are a very unique situation. Generally it usually is just that they have become interested enough to notice the reality before them. If you go look at a bunch of other breeds now you will see them differently too. I used to do 6 to 8 saddle fitting clinics a month. I had a lot of people bringing me gaited horses and each would go on about how unique their breed was and they had such special needs. I got to where I was almost be leaving it despite the fact all my training told me the horses were just messed up. I got a hold of Liz as one of the leading experts on gaited horses I figured I would get the straight scoop. I pulled up to her place and looked at her walkers and told her they looked like QH. She laughed at me and said I was used to seeing gaited horses that were all screwed up. Around here every horse is an individual.

David Genadek

Susan,

Ahh so Whoddie is famous! I’ll tell him that next time he is here.

Let me comment on one of your other posts.

This is not a rigging position issue it is a tree fitting issue. Since rigging position is dependant on where the tree maker designed the tree to fit it is really hard to pin point issues in regard to position. If the tree fits properly you should have not have a problem positioning the cinch so that it is behind the elbow when the front leg is back as far as it can go. If you are using a double rigged saddle I would ask if you are using your rear cinch as tight as the front if not then you could have been causing the issue. Jane has documented her work with Liz quite well and probable has some photos of Whoodie with a saddle in the 5/8 position. The saddle she rides is also in the 5/8 positions so you might want to ask her what her experience has been in regard to rigging position.

This is common in all breeds and is usually because of two things one the tree does not have enough rock or the saddle is being placed to far back. I put an additional flair on the rear tip of the bar to prevent this from happening and it also lets me direct the rear of the skirt away from the hindquarters when I shape the skirts.

3) pinching at withers

The tree is just not the right shape or it has a downhill orientation and if so you are back to point 1 are you using the rigging properly.

This is a sign that the twist of the bar is incorrect for the shape of the back. You will have more of this issue on the Mustangs that have been more heavily influenced by the Barb. On the horse with a well-sprung rib cage you will get pressure on the bottom edge of the bar.

5) gaps between front of tree and back of tree along horses backs (one or both sides)

This is a product of more than one element being off. However, if the problem is only occurring on one side you should check the straightness of the horse. If the horse is moving so that the sternum is staying directly between the two front legs. Then he is straight if not you must correct the issue in training.

6) improper contact at wither/shoulder pocket (to tight, or to sloppy)

Here again this can have many causes but generally it means the bars are not the right shape for the horse. However a tree can fit perfect and you can negate the fit 100% with improper cinching so you might need to look back to 1.

7) Many types of riggings such as flat plate dig into horses ribs)

The top shape of bar to a large extent determines the angles that the rigging will be coming off the tree. So if the tree is the wrong shape for the back the chance that you will have rigging issues. The saddle maker should also be molding the rigging to the shape of the horse when they construct the saddle. If you have had trouble with flat plate it is not because it is a bad rigging it is more likely that it was improperly applied.

I do see people with every breed deciding that they are a very unique situation. Generally it usually is just that they have become interested enough to notice the reality before them. If you go look at a bunch of other breeds now you will see them differently too. I used to do 6 to 8 saddle fitting clinics a month. I had a lot of people bringing me gaited horses and each would go on about how unique their breed was and they had such special needs. I got to where I was almost be leaving it despite the fact all my training told me the horses were just messed up. I got a hold of Liz as one of the leading experts on gaited horses I figured I would get the straight scoop. I pulled up to her place and looked at her walkers and told her they looked like QH. She laughed at me and said I was used to seeing gaited horses that were all screwed up. Around here every horse is an individual.

David Genadek

Thanks David for pointing out in clearer terms the problems regarding fit with SM's. Also we will have to disagree in regards to how the rigging falls on these horses as a breed. As having bred, raised and trained them for 13 years I do have practical experience regarding the above. As a professional trainer of 35 years I have some experience with fitting horses in general. I have never ran into as much rigging problems in other breeds albeit occasionally a few do occur that I have found in this breed.

Your posts are very informative and I appreciate your comments.

Susan Catt

Bear Paw Ranch

Arizona

Susan,

Thanks for the extra info and the pictures of your mare. They help in getting a better picture inside our heads of what your horse looks like.

In reading what David has said, it is obvious that we think in a very similar way on a majority of things. We also try to fit a type or style (general shape) of horse, and would not want to say that "This tree will fit this breed of horse". There is too much variation within a breed to label a tree as being made for one breed, or especially to claim that it will fit all members of that breed. On the other hand, if a breed has relatively few individuals in it, and all those individuals are closely related, they will tend to be built more similarly than a breed with many individuals coming from different seed stocks. Even so, we still would not choose to label a tree with a breed name.

We often get asked about rigging position and how that affects the fit of the tree. Our answer generally is that if the tree fits the horse well, the rigging position is not going to move the tree out of position, though if the tree was placed out of position, it might be possible for the cinch to hold it out of position in a few instances.

An analogy which might help would be to picture a couple of tea spoons from the same set. They match in size and shape and fit into each other well. If you move the top one back so its bowl sits on the edge between the bowl and the handle of the other one, and then wiggle them a bit, they will slide together so they fit. Even if you tie the two handles together as tightly as you can (imagining that the handles are smooth on all sides) and then wiggle them, the bowls will still move to fit together because there is nothing that inhibits that movement. In the same way, a tree that has a shape on the bottom that matches the shape of the horse underneath it will shift into the place it should fit as the horse moves. Ideally, the saddle would have been placed in the correct spot originally. The position of the rigging (unless it somehow inhibits the movement of the saddle) won't affect where the tree sits on the horse - if the shape is correct. (This is how the old vaqueros were able to use a center fire rig and rope off it. The trees had to fit their horses back then. If the fit wasn't good, the saddle would have moved all over the place just riding, let alone when it was used to rope with.) Back to our analogy: If the spoon handles have bumps on the sides, and if you place the two spoons where they don't fit together, then tie the handles together at the point of two mismatched indentations, you would be able to keep the two spoons from sliding into the spot where they match. This would be the equivalent of holding the saddle in the wrong place with a breast collar or crupper.

If you take a teaspoon and a tablespoon and try to fit them together, the two bowls will go together, but there will be a lot more movement between the two as you wiggle them around. This is probably the more common situation between a lot of horses and the trees in the saddles they wear. The shapes are close, but not quite right, and so padding, etc. can make a difference that makes the saddle usable where it won't hurt the horse. If you take a teaspoon and a fork or, worse yet, a knife, and put them together, they will be sliding all over the place, off the side of each other etc. This is what happens when the shape of the tree and the horse are very different, and you can't make that tree work for that horse, no matter how you pad it.

So when you say that the whole saddle slides forward and the cinch becomes loose, what is happening is, indeed, a tree fitting issue. The shape of the bottom of the tree doesn't fit the shape of the horse's back, and unless there is something to hold it where it is placed, it goes looking for a spot it will fit better. In your case, it moves further forward. That doesn't mean it was meant to fit there. It just means that the part of the tree that most closely fits the shape of some part of the horse's back got together with that part, regardless of where it was "supposed to" be. And it shows how poorly the match is between the shape of this horse and the "typical" tree is - which is why you started this thread in the first place. And as David said, "rigging position is dependant on where the tree maker designed the tree to fit". So, as in so many areas with trees, the actual number may not mean a whole lot anyway.

You mention "gaps between front of tree and back of tree along horses' backs (one or both sides)". I am interpreting this to mean that the saddle is bridging - contacting at the front and the back but not the middle. Is this correct? Firstly, if it only affects one side, there is asymmetry. Whenever one side is different from another, something is wrong. It is not just a mismatch in size or shape. Something has to be different from one side to another. This could be a fault in the tree construction, a fault in the saddle construction, a difference in the horse, either congenital or more commonly induced by how they use their body, a difference in how the rider sits, disparity in the blankets or pads, etc. etc. But something is wrong and needs to be fixed. This is a different issue than the shape these horses need to fit them.

If both sides bridge, it means there is not enough rock in the tree for the length of the bar on this back. This goes along with the back of the bar digging into the loins that you mentioned earlier, as well as having "short backs that rise up slightly into the loin" that you mentioned in your first post. We checked out the Spanish Mustang Registry site and got a few more looks at different horses. One of the things that struck us is how relatively small "the average" Spanish Mustang is compared to "the average" Quarter Horse for which the majority of production Western trees are built. While you want as much surface area on the horse's back as possible to distribute the weight better, you are limited to the area that will not cause interference with the horse's movement (will not dig into or put excessive pressure anywhere). On your shorter backed horses, bar length is a consideration. A back tip of a bar that is too long will contact high up on the rise of the loin on these horses and be unable to settle down on the back, leaving a gap in the middle. A shorter bar that ends before that rise will sit down on the back better, so that could be part of a solution. Shortening the bar does decrease overall surface area though. That may be OK for a smaller and lighter rider, but there would be a limit to how short you would want to make bars for a larger rider for the sake of both the rider and the horse. Something else to consider is making sure there is enough "relief" built into the back bar tip so it doesn't dig into the loin. This essentially adds rock to the back of the bars. In looking at these horses, they do seem to have more rock in their back than is common, which would go with the "rise into the loin".

In looking at the pictures of your mare as well as the other ones you have posted and ones on the Registry site, we see a horse with quite a round back, but also a relatively narrow back due to their smaller size. In horses overall, the narrower backs more commonly tend to be more angled, more A shaped. These horses also often have wither pockets that are more concave. The rounder back shape tends to be on wider horses, and the wither pockets here will often be flat or bulged outward. At least that is the basic generalization that is commonly made. This is why as the "standard" trees get wider, they also are generally given a flatter angle. The more narrow trees often have a steeper angle. You have a narrow horse that may need a wider angle. These things don't go together in an "off the rack" tree, resulting in the other signs you mention that basically show a real mismatch in shapes between the horse and the tree.

It is good to recognize that horses with a more concave wither pocket will hold a saddle (stop it from sliding forward or back or side to side) better than ones with a rounded wither "pocket" in the same way that two spoons fit together better than two knives because there is a more definite shape to them that will hold them together. But if that is not the way the horse is built, you need to fit the horse as it is. The wither pocket on your mare is not concave. Therefore, what you don't want is a lot of side to side roundness to the shape of the bottom of the bar. Some companies have rounder bars, and some flatter. Some may offer a choice. You would want to choose a flatter "crown" shape for these horses, because too much roundness will put excess pressure in the center of that bar pad. A rounder crown on this wither pocket shape will also have less overall contact since the edges of the bar pad won't contact well. This would be like (I'm exaggerating, but it makes the point) trying to make two rubber balls "fit together".

When you talk about the saddle moving forward, something to check out is what David calls "orientation". The line you drew on the stallion from the top of the croup to the top of the withers is horizontal, but that is not where the saddle fits. We look at the sides of horse's back where the bars sit. Is the loin area toward the back of the bars higher than the wither pocket area where the front bar pads sit? If so, (and it is commonly so), gravity will want to move the saddle forward unless something stops it. I can't see well enough on the stallion to see how it is, but if the mare is standing on a level surface, her back is a little bit "downhill", but not excessively so. If the tree fits the shape of her back well, those matching shapes would keep it place. Since you seem to be experiencing a spoon and knife mismatch in shapes, it will have a tendency to more forward with gravity.

So overall, we feel that if the shape of the tree matches the shape of the horses back, it will stay put unless extraordinary (more than ordinary riding and roping) forces are put on it. If the shapes don't match, it is very likely to move around. On these horses, I could imagine a scenario like this: "typical" tree would have bars that would be a bit too long (or not have enough rock) to fit comfortably, so with every step the loin of the horse would push into the back of the bar, trying to push it forward, and causing pressure points. If the horse happened to be a bit downhill as well, gravity to help the saddle move forward. Meanwhile, up front, you have a rounder wither pocket area minimally contacting a possibly rounder front bar pad. So there is nothing there which would help the saddle to stay in place. And you may also have something that looks like an A (narrow tree, narrow angle) perched on top of a sideways C, or else a more flattened upside down V (wider tree, wider angle) with the edges sticking off in space with only the inside half of the bar contacting the horse because the bars are spread too far apart. So while you may have very little in the way of common shape to hold the saddle in place, you have lots of forces that work to move it around and cause pressure points on your horse. Basically, the typical combinations of width, angle, etc. don't fit.

This in no way is to say that there is anything "wrong" with your horses. They just are not typical quarter horses, which was your point to start with. Fit is a combination of: width (spread between the bars), angle, the change in angle from the front to the back (twist), the amount of rock, the shape of the bottom of the bar side to side (crown), total bar length and length of the front bar tip. All of these things can be varied independently of each other. You don't have to do anything "weird" to the bottom of the bar to make a tree fit your horse. You just have to put uncommon (compared to typical quarter horses) combinations together: a narrower spread because the backs are narrow, not too steep an angle anywhere because they are round all down the back, enough rock on a shorter bar, especially at the back bar tip, and a flatter cup.

We hope this helps you understand more of what areas we look at when we are asked to evaluate a type of horse for fit. It is hard to be sure with just pictures. Generally we get back drawings as well, and then spend time talking with the owner of the horses. So it would be good to get your response to our ideas. What do you think?

As an aside, if anyone is sending pictures to a tree maker to help them see a horse's back better, here are a couple of things we hadn't mentioned earlier. It is helpful to send one side view that shows the whole horse, including the ground on which they are standing, such as the one of the stallion in the May 20th post. Ideally the ground is flat and level and the horse is standing square, but rarely do we get the ideal. This picture gives us a better view of how downhill or level the back is compared to a level surface. As well, it is good to have a person in at least one photo, and information about how tall that person is. That lets us see size of the horse better. Even if we have a weight and height in numbers, which is great, "a picture is worth a thousand words".

Rod and Denise

Howdy Folks, I had been posting on the braiding board and had left this discussion only to find out it has indeed grown quite interesting. I too raise and train SM's and know most of the folks involved in this discussion and their horses and am quite familiar with some of these issues. I also know a fellow that has several saddles built of Warren's trees and I have built on Warren's trees and had not had these issues with my horses nor do I think my buddy has and I will be building him a saddle with one of Warren's trees. I attended the saddlemaking seminar with Dale Harwood and Steve Mecum last year and also have visited with Chuck Stormes and Cary Schwarz a bit on these and other issues. One of my goals was to find a tree supplier to get 'REAL' Wade trees from and not have to wait so long for Warren's trees. In my quest for a tree manfacturer Rod your name was mentioned. From the pic on your home page, Rod, that is pretty much what Warren's trees looke like sitting on my SM's back! Oddly enough I had a 3 yr old QH stud at the time and placed the bare tree on his back and Lo and Behold it set in a slightly different spot but still fit him! Maybe a little further back as I recall because of the angle of his withers front to back. I should have taken pics! I guess i'm in effect lending a little credence to what Dusty Johnson said regarding horsemanship. I built a saddle for another SM owner on Warren's tree and he is also involved in Throughbreds so I know that the same saddle goes from one to the other and he also has little trouble with fit he just rides what is beneath him and he has no legs. I believe it is akin to your spoon discription and the saddle finds it's spot and the rider adjust to ride the horse NOT the saddle. In my discussion with Dale he basically builds 2 different trees; one for Ray and one for the rest that can afford one and the tree for Ray has only slight differences to the width of the bar and where the swells attach or gullet width. At least that is what he was willing to share with us at that time! Quien Sabe? I videoed the entire seminar and will review the info presented and try and post bits of it here when I have the time.

Alan Bell

Rod and Denise,

This is the best description of the problems I have faced fitting my horses to date. And yes you have described the breed type of back as a general rule.

Here is my thoughts on rigging. Let's assume the tree is a perfect fit and the horse and rider have perfect balance and movement. (hypathetical) Now the cinch which is set back "on this breed" hangs in such away as to restrict lung function as it snugs up along the ribs where they are begining to spring away from the horses back in a round arch, or "C" shape. A rigging set more forward can be tied in a three point tie but still avoid restriction of lung function by resting just in front of where the C begins to broaden. I would like to see the latigo hang vertical from the saddle to the girth and not run along an angle from girth toward the loins of the horse. I really dont care at this point if the tree stays put, now I'm concerned about lung capacity and sore ribs. I dont do ranch work. I do back country distance riding and gaiting. I speak for my horses alone as I breed for multi-gaited stock. My horses sit down in the rear, raise up in the front end, coil in classic Old Time Spanish manner and travel much like a pleasure type Paso Fino (for lack of a better image). When they coil their gut broadens and their ribs expand to allow for the increase of gut pressure. Now I dont want to inhibit that with an awkwardly angled or placed rigging. Keep in mind they do not travel flat like a walker or fox trotter and if they do they are not performing up to par. Does this help?

I'm not disagreeing because I feel I know something about saddle fit that those here don't. Or that I know more about my breed than anyone here might. I stand firm on anatomical function of the musclulo-skeletal system and the depence of neuorlogical health on respiratory performance. A position I have spent some time studying not just in regards to the over all health and functionality of my horse, but I use everyday in my line of work restructuring tissue for humans with injury or chronic issues.

So I am still not convinced on the rigging answers I have heard thus far. I could be if I can see that my horses respiratory function is not compromised by a rigging that is set in my opinion too far back. I understand that mankind has been riding horsekind for many a year without concern for respiratory function. Not to the point that I am conerned about it, and for those few who do.... you dont see TB's on the track with girths set back on their ribcage. I dont want to see a girth set back on the ribcage of my SM either.

Now I'm looking forward to hearing some ideas about how we fix a SM ribcage/rigging problem?

Hey Alan, Good to see you here! Your saddle looked good on your mare. But I thought it kinda dwarfed her! lol wink.gif You make a beautiful product (I've seen some of Alans work and know folks who use his product).

Susan Catt

Edited by Denise

You just have to put uncommon (compared to typical quarter horses) combinations together: a narrower spread because the backs are narrow, not too steep an angle anywhere because they are round all down the back, enough rock on a shorter bar, especially at the back bar tip, and a flatter cup.

Rod and Denise

So when are we going to start seeing trees like this emerge into the market place for SM'ers to have their saddles built on?

Howdy Folks, I had been posting on the braiding board and had left this discussion only to find out it has indeed grown quite interesting. I too raise and train SM's and know most of the folks involved in this discussion and their horses and am quite familiar with some of these issues. I also know a fellow that has several saddles built of Warren's trees and I have built on Warren's trees and had not had these issues with my horses nor do I think my buddy has and I will be building him a saddle with one of Warren's trees. Alan Bell

Alan, could you post a picture of one of these trees? Give a better description of them part by part please? I'm learning all these different parts and would like to compare ideas.

MedicineBearYearling3.jpg

This colt is a yearling exhibiting excellent Old Time Spanish qualities.

MedicineBearYearling1.jpg

Alan, How do you like Medicine Bear now? ;) (Medicine Bear my new Romero/McKinley bred yearling colt bred by Terry Moore of Medicine Hat Saddlery)

Thanks,

Susan Catt

Hey Susan, I can't send a current pic of the bare tree because it is no longer a bare tree! But it is probably very similar tothe tree Rod has pictured on his home page setting on the horses back. Rod could tell if there are any differences or not.

I really like the colt and I really liked his sire. I rode Thunder when Roeliff still had him and liked him then. I think Roeliff has a full brother to Thunder that he is going to geld. I couldn't use him as a stud because he is to closely elated to my Medicine Hats. So I'm getting this colt whose complete pedigree I don't know but he is by Tarkio. I'm also getting some bred mares that are heavy in foal to Tarkio so I'll be back in the breeding game soon!

Roeliff_colt_2.jpgCIMG0999.jpg

post-1670-1180061344_thumb.jpg

post-1670-1180061510_thumb.jpg

Just an additional note. While I have used probably an excess of words to describe what we look at when we try to fit a horse, I need to say that saddle fitting is not rocket science. There are two basic rules:

1.) Don't get in his way. Make sure that the edges - the front, back, top and bottom of the bar don't dig in anywhere, and the cantle and fork gullets don't contact the horse.

2.) Within those margins, keep as much contact with the horse as you can. In other words, shape it the way they are shaped as much as possible.

If you do those two things, you will have a good fit.

We are not trying to fit camels, elephants and donkeys here. A horse is built like a horse, with some variations. Problems arise when rule number one is broken. You can have a lot of leeway with rule number two and still "get away with it" (ie. not hurt the horse) because of the movement of the horse under the saddle. This is why if you have a tree that is correct in the basics, it will fit a wide range of horses well enough to be used comfortably.

As far as the rigging position goes, we approach it as it relates to tree position on the horse. We are looking forward to reading about how it relates to everything else from the saddle maker's point of view.

As far as the rigging position goes, we approach it as it relates to tree position on the horse. We are looking forward to reading about how it relates to everything else from the saddle maker’s point of view.

I agree. I would love to hear some Saddle Makers ideas on how they would address fit in regards to this thread. Ive tried to show clearly how large groups of horses (not just my breed) have been left outside the average fit parameters used by many if not most tree and saddle makers today. So now standing outside that box. It sure would be great to hear some thoughts from saddle makers on how they would take a tree designed to address some of the conformation types and riding styles listed in this thread and build a saddle that would suit both.

Anyone?

Susan Catt

Hey folks, Bruce Johnson and I seem to be having a closed conversation on the rigging posts! I think that these two post are virtually one and the same check out what we've written so far and see what you think.

Alan Bell

Terry Moore of Medicine Hat Saddlery was scheduled to do a saddle fitting at the Spanish Mustang Registry 50th Year Celebration. He showed up Saturaday afternoon and gave a very informative talk. He brought many examples of trees with him. There were trees from different periods and uses available to inspect. Two were Rod Nikkels trees. I'm not an expert by any means on trees, but these two trees were very outstanding in workmanship compared the others I saw there. They just looked and felt stronger and had a certain quality to them that impressed me. This from an uneducated eye of course. I dont build trees. But I was pleased with them. I bought a mold from Terry and will be molding my horses back this weekend. So soon there will be a Rod Nikkels tree made for my Spanish Mustang mare.

The demonstration was well attended and many of the topics we have discussed in this thread were addressed. Rod and Denise's description of what might be a problem in fitting this breed was made extremely appearant to all there. It really helped me see the problems from the tree up.

For the first time since entering into this breed I am hopeful for a truly proper fit for my horses.

;) Susan Catt

Bear Paw Ranch

Arizona

............... I have attached a tracing of a back I got in on Friday to emphasize how you just can’t say that you have a tree to fit a particular breed. Can anyone guess what breed of horse this is?...... David Genadek

Soooo David, did anyone ever gander a guess? ..................

OK, I'm gonna go way out on a limb and say it's somebody's prize Jersey heifer they're aimin' to ride down Main street in the next 4th of July parade. Right or wrong? :biggrin: