Sign in to follow this  
millwright

Help With Halter Braid

Can somebody tell me how many strings you recon they're using and how to transfer between the flat and round braid, or where I could find the information?

My son likes it so I thought we might make one. Would paracord work for this? I think the ones I've seen have been made out of an old worn out head or heel rope that's been untwisted.

post-8684-045885500 1324689933_thumb.jpg

Edited by millwright

The picture is not real big so I can't see it real well (eyes not as good as they used to be!) so I just have to guess, but it looks to me like the thinner sections are a 4-round braid, and they go into an 8-flat. I think paracord would work fine. In fact I think you could make a real dandy one out of paracord. My suggestion would be, make a practice one out of baling twine, you know it will be smaller but that's OK, then get some real nice paracord and make it out of that. Should be real stout!

ETA: Oh, forgot the other question. I have seen instructions in Grant's Encyclopedia that show going from a round to a flat. You might be able to figure it out from seeing how he makes hobbles and so on.

Edited by HorsehairBraider

Many thanks HorsehairBraider! I'll look through Grant's book again and try to figure out the flat to round and trying to split the flat off into into two rounds. If you have anymore thoughts or suggestions, they're all appreciated!

Here's another pic that may help see it better.

post-8684-009538500 1324928090_thumb.jpg

Looks to me to be a 6 plait. Only thing is,usually a 6 round has a core. Might be why the rope looks a little funny. Going from round to flat or flat to round is not that difficult. Takes a little to get the right strand going but very easy to figure out. Parachute cord will probably work. Check out Double Diamond Halters. Not sure what Pete uses but pretty much the same thing you are looking at.