yuman

Battle Of The Consews

Hello again, I have been looking at some machines and have come up with two which I think (but don't know) might work for me. I am currently hand sewing bags, belts and wallets, the usual suspects. The machines I have found and are both coming out of a recently closed leather shop Consew 277r cylinder machine. Small dia. cylinder about an inch less cir. than 287. Kind of the size I think of a Pfaff 335. very nice rig. Consew 287 r one inch larger dia. cylinder also very nice. They owner says 277 wil sew 207 thread and down and the 287 a size or two above 207 and down to 68. They are clean been cared for and sew nice if you can slow them down. What do you guys think of these models for bags belts and wallets. What would be a fair price for each. I know I will have to go to a speed reducer and servo which ever one I pick. Your insights will be highly valued. Thank you, Yuman

I found this information about these machines:

Consew 277:

• 2300 Stitches Per Minute
  • Presser Foot Lift by Hand: 5/16"
  • Presser Foot Lift by Foot: 1/2"
  • Needle Bar Stroke:1-5/16"
  • Narrow cylinder arm - 46mm diameter (Models 277R-2 & 277RFS-2)
  • Horizontal axis rotary hook
  • Compound feed, walking foot mechanism assures even feeding of several piles or of slippery materials
  • Centra-Lube® semi-automatic lubrication system
  • Simple wing nut adjustment permits raising and lowering of the center foot to allow for sewing different thicknesses of material
  • Simple adjustment permits the raising and lower of the center foot which allows for sewing of different thickness of material
  • For sewing light to heavy-weight fabrics, leather, vinyl, upholstery, synthetics, canvas and various laminated and coated materials.
  • Especially designed for products with narrow openings.
  • Designed for stitching tubular and curved work.
  • Suitable for sewing such products as caps, cushions, boots, shoes, auto, boat and furniture upholstery, tarpaulins, covers, sails, tents, awnings, umbrellas, tops, bags, luggage, handbags, travelware, accessories, sports and camping equipment, wearing apparel, orthopedic appliances, slippers, etc.

Consew 287:
  • Clearance Under Foot: 11/32"
  • Needle Bar Stroke:1-5/16"
  • Bed Size:2 9/16" x 10 9/16"
  • Safety Clutch
  • Walking Foot
  • CentraLube Semi Automatic Lubrication System
  • Vertical Axis Rotary Hook
  • Compound feed, walking foot mechanism assures even feeding of several piles or of slippery materials
  • Stitches per minute - 3000*
  • Reverse feed - Model 287R-1/ 287RFS
  • Simple wing nut adjustment permits raising and lowering of the center foot to allow for sewing different thicknesses of material
  • Safety clutch prevents the hook from being damaged
  • Simple adjustment permits the raising and lower of the center foot which allows for sewing of different thickness of material
  • For sewing light to heavy-weight fabric leather, vinyl, upholstery, synthetics, canvas and various laminated and coated materials
  • Designed for stitching tubular and curved work

Hi Yuman,

I think you want to discount the 277 unless you have very tight work and you need the small arm. With the small arm, even with the horizontal hook, I suspect you will be changing bobbins like a NASCAR pit crew changes tires. These machines might run 207top/138bobbin but with the rotary hook I would expect not much larger. A "size or two over 207" would be 277 and 346 which I think is a lot over the mark for even the vertical rotary hook. I am pretty sure the design criteria of these machines is 138 and down. Also the self oilers are made for rated speeds, for leatherwork speeds I would be in there with an oil can every so often.

For the 287, I would give $500 max, less depending on condition.

For the 277, $400 max less depending on condition.

Sew them off, your leather, your thread before buying.

These are industrial workhorses, make sure they weren't "rode hard and put away wet".

Art

Thanks again fellas, I have been rode hard and put away wet so I hope I'll recognize that condition in a machine. Art I sure you are correct about the small bobin in the 277. I am getting sample leather and my thread together to go sew of the 287. Would you guys say the consew 287 specs out and sews like the 153w103 only the consew having reverse? I had the idea it was more heavy duty than the 153. Would a 227 do just as well for bags belts and wallets?

I am sure when I write it is real nice to have you guys around I am expressing the view of many of this sites subscribers. Thank you.

Hi Yuman,

The 287 is marginally heavier than the 153, what we might call the next step up. It has a safety clutch which says someone is going to put something too big or hard in here. Big stitchers generally don't have a safety clutch usually because they have a rotary shuttle which would be harder to implement and would be tripping all the time. Stitchers like the Cobra Class 3 and 4, Consew 756 etc. are quite robust, whatever you can get under the foot (including sole bend) will be handled.

The 277 would be good for wallets, chaps, etc. as long as you are using 46 or 69 thread, start using 138 and you might want to pre-wind a box of bobbins. Replace bobbins early and often. If you can get a great deal on it, build a table for it (make it into a flat bed) and use it as a wallet machine.

Art

Thanks again fellas, I have been rode hard and put away wet so I hope I'll recognize that condition in a machine. Art I sure you are correct about the small bobin in the 277. I am getting sample leather and my thread together to go sew of the 287. Would you guys say the consew 287 specs out and sews like the 153w103 only the consew having reverse? I had the idea it was more heavy duty than the 153. Would a 227 do just as well for bags belts and wallets?

I am sure when I write it is real nice to have you guys around I am expressing the view of many of this sites subscribers. Thank you.

Thanks again, I am on my way Monday to sew off Appreciate all your advise. Yuman

Hi Yuman,

The 287 is marginally heavier than the 153, what we might call the next step up. It has a safety clutch which says someone is going to put something too big or hard in here. Big stitchers generally don't have a safety clutch usually because they have a rotary shuttle which would be harder to implement and would be tripping all the time. Stitchers like the Cobra Class 3 and 4, Consew 756 etc. are quite robust, whatever you can get under the foot (including sole bend) will be handled.

The 277 would be good for wallets, chaps, etc. as long as you are using 46 or 69 thread, start using 138 and you might want to pre-wind a box of bobbins. Replace bobbins early and often. If you can get a great deal on it, build a table for it (make it into a flat bed) and use it as a wallet machine.

Art