BigRiverLeather

Toro 3000 Skipping Stitches

I'm sewing with a Schmetz 180 needle, 277/207, 2-3 layers of up to 8-9 oz Veg tan for holsters. In the past occasionaly I'd get an errany missed stitch, seemed to be more predictable with exotics like Elephant etc. But now it seems all of a sudden with 2-3 layers of anywhere from 6 to 9 oz Hermann Oak I start out my stitching and in about 5 or 6 stitches, it starts to skip. If I somehow manage to get it to catch by repeatedly trying in the same hole, it will usually skip on the next stitch. More often than not it will fray and or stitch right through the thread. All of the issues are with the top thread.

I visually inspected the timing and it appears to be timed right, though I did not take exact measurements. Even when watching the hook with the plate off, it seemed it would catch a few times then it wouldn't, or the hook would go through the middle of the thread.

I have a fresh needle in it, 180 Schmetz.

I tried the trick or lowering the needle a touch, a couple of different times, and that did not help at all.

Could this be a thread issue? Black thread, not sure of the brand but I'm at least 1/2 way through the spool.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Try altering the travel of your check spring, which is mounted on the lower disk set. Note the current position, then raise it an 8th of an inch and test. If no happy happy, lower it an 8th below the starting point. If no happy happy, return it to zero.

See if the needle is being pulled to the outside on the take-up stroke. If so, move the hook closer to the needle by a gazillionth of an inch. Try again.

If nothing you alter improves the problem, assume bad thread and try a different spool.

Try altering the travel of your check spring, which is mounted on the lower disk set. Note the current position, then raise it an 8th of an inch and test. If no happy happy, lower it an 8th below the starting point. If no happy happy, return it to zero.

See if the needle is being pulled to the outside on the take-up stroke. If so, move the hook closer to the needle by a gazillionth of an inch. Try again.

If nothing you alter improves the problem, assume bad thread and try a different spool.

Thanks for the reply. These two items are Greek to me though. I looked through the 3000 manual and saw no mention of them in the maintenance section or the parts section. So, I'm not really sure where to start with that.

Have you tried contacting Artisan, the owner of the brand name? They have manuals, parts and accessories. Surely, somebody there can assist you, especially if you bought the machine from them.

Thanks for the reply. These two items are Greek to me though. I looked through the 3000 manual and saw no mention of them in the maintenance section or the parts section. So, I'm not really sure where to start with that.

It's the spring steel thread guide that you run the thread through after it comes off of the lower tension disks.

Dan

Talked to Jerry at Artisan, he gave me some things to check which I'lll do tonight.

I would try some different thread before i did anything else. The reason i say that is because i have had thread that just wouldn't sew !!