Suicide

Dyi: Making Tool Rack For Leather Stamps In 15 Minutes

Hi all,

I'd like to share my experience how quickly make a toolrack for leatherstamps you most likely have.

All thumbnails are clickable.

Project costs: 95 eurocents

Time : 15 minutes including helping to wife to open the bottlle with juice and drinking glass of juice.

You need:

1. 2 plastic food containers with lid. After you done you will have 1 lid as a spare :)

2. Drill.

3. 3 drill bits - 8mm, 11 mm and 4 mm.

4. 2 alu rivets + setter. (optional)

I got a set of 3 food containers in local IKEA shop for 0.95 euros. The key moment is that these containers must be able to be put inside each other (I guess by default most of food containers have such ability :)) Lid should be fixed firmly on the box. I have click-in covers but actually any fixeable would work.

So take 1 container's cover and 2 containers.

cimg6688g.th.jpg

cimg6689.th.jpg

On this photo you see what being inserted one into another the bottom of top container is about 1,5 cm above the bottom of second container.

cimg6690.th.jpg

Then drill one of container's bottom. I drilled holes mainly with 8 mm bit as I don't have much stamps with thick handle. I also drill some holes with 11 mm for such a thick handle stamps.

cimg6691lf.th.jpg

Next put the lid on , turn container up side down and mark slightly placement of holes in the cover through the holes in the bottom. Do not drill through.

cimg6692.th.jpg

cimg6693.th.jpg

If you did verything right, on the right side of the cover you'll also see these marks. Drill it from the right side now. You can correct a bit a placements of the holes as they might be marked not very even before.

cimg6694n.th.jpg

cimg6695y.th.jpg

cimg6696i.th.jpg

cimg6697.th.jpg

Now put perforated container into untouched , drill a holes with 4 mm bit on the opposite sides and fix boxes together with a rivets.

cimg6698z.th.jpg

cimg6699r.th.jpg

cimg6700.th.jpg

cimg6701h.th.jpg

cimg6703i.th.jpg

cimg6704.th.jpg

cimg6705f.th.jpg

Put lid on.

cimg6706h.th.jpg

Your rack is ready for load! :)

cimg6707z.th.jpg

cimg6708d.th.jpg

Edited by Suicide

If the lids still works, it would work for traveling as well. Nice job!

If the lids still works, it would work for traveling as well. Nice job!

Thanks! very appreciate.

And yes, that was what I forgot to mention. Lid still work as it suppose to work on original container. So you can open it, put all the tools inside the box and close the lid. :guitar:

Perfect! just the idea I needed for traveling in my bus this year with all my leatherwork tools! I had been racking my brains for a decent way of storing and travelling with them that was light weight.

Natalie

Perfect! just the idea I needed for traveling in my bus this year with all my leatherwork tools! I had been racking my brains for a decent way of storing and travelling with them that was light weight.

Natalie

I wouldn't recomend this as a means of traveling with tools unless you are going to put them into tool rolls, and then put the tool rolls in the box. Just putting the stamps in loose would allow them to bang into each other and perhaps ruin the chrome plating, not to mention wear and tear on the tool faces. For traveling with tools and needing minimum storage space: the best solution I ever saw was a fellow I ran into twenty years ago. He kept all his stamps in tool rolls with three or four hanging grommets. The rolls were then hung on a folding wire rack he had built himself from heavy coat hangers.

Thanks for sharing, this is a cool idea for a cheap organizer.

I was just thinking - for transportation, rather than removing all your tools and putting them inside, you could leave them in the holes, and use the lid from the second container to place over the top, and just use an elastic or some lace to hold it on and keep all the tools in place. Would save you tools from being banged up, and save you having to reorganize a bunch of stamps every time you move them.

I'm lazy, I went to Habor Freight and purchased one of the brief case tool boxes that computer repair people use for their tool and store all my punches in it. Got (hijacked) the idea from a Tandy Leather employee. The foam is cut in a cube pattern and holds all the punches and tools in a perfect manner. Plenty of storage in an easy to carry case. It's the 6 inch deep case, black with brushed metal edges. Go ahead and pick one up for about $35.