Rd929

Darkening Leather Bag After Its Sealed?

Hey everyone,

This is my first post, but I could not find an answer when searching this topic. Although based on a few threads I was able to learn a whole lot about peoples' experiences with darkening leather using neatsfoot, EVOO, and some other things.

I had a leather duffel bag made by a shop in Rome with a good reputation while I was there on vacation. I said I wanted a thick strong natural leather. He showed me two natural leathers, I wanted the darker one. There were some huge language barriers but the bag came out fantastic, but its a much brighter shade than I anticipated. I don't know if the leather I wanted had already been aged and darkened and was originally the same shade I had, or the other possibilities. But I won't be using this everyday and would like to darken it a littlle quickly.

He was able to

Get across that he used a sealant that is made from beeswax. It has a strong but pleasant almost minty smell, like Vicks vapor rub maybe. After reading through the threads here I did not see anyone mention if it is ok to leave the bag in the sun for a while after it has been sealed. If so, do I condition the bag again and then seal it? I want to use neatsfoot or EVOO, prob neatsfoot since since from what I read EVOO might "blond" the leather a little and doesn't darken it as much. The shade of my bag is a very light beige with almost a pink hint.

So if I apply an oil and leave it in the sun, do I need to reseal it? If I don't put an oil on it and leave it in the sun, is that ok without a conditioner before or after? Thanks for any tips