SmkyTheBr

latest projects, HELP

I just completed these two Photo Album covers, I'm going to attempt to sell them at an upcoming craftfair and I can't seem to decide on a price. If anyone has any idea's I would appreciate any input? The album's are the small one's that hold 100 photo's, the cover is 5" X 7". If anyone has any comments about the work any pointers would be helpful as well.

Thanks Tom

DSC01007.JPG

DSC01008.JPG

DSC01015.JPG

DSC01016.JPG

DSC01011.JPG

DSC01012.JPG

post-134-1228430486_thumb.jpg

post-134-1228430499_thumb.jpg

post-134-1228430516_thumb.jpg

post-134-1228430528_thumb.jpg

post-134-1228430554_thumb.jpg

post-134-1228430562_thumb.jpg

your work is worth more that $50.00 each....i think $75.00 would be a fair price...

Theres a lot of threads right now about pricing your work.

Here are a few links and my opinions of the work shown to give you an idea.

http://www.google.co.uk/products?q=tooled%...sa=N&tab=wf

Aspinal of london, right your working in dollars. this company at the top is selling machine stamped patterns at roughly 160 us dollars....I don't think so....

http://search.ebay.com/tooled-leather-photo-albums

Theres a few items here, some machine made, some tooled, not overly relevant. but some of the proper tooled stuff is going for 200+ dollars.

I took a start your own business course about six months ago, and one of the things I learnt there, is this:

It is 100 times easier to drop the cost of your products 10 percent but 100 times harder to increase the cost of products by 10 percent... or something like that.

Start with higher costs than lower ones is the basis.

I would price them according to how long i toolled each piece.

because you spent more time on the fish one then you did on the one with the pinecones tree branches.

also how much lace and what type of lace did you use on each one?

good lace runs 50 bucks for 25 yards at the local tandy store.

when i started doing woodturning and selling the items i started with cost of materials and doubled it then added $15.00 per hour that i spent on the item.

see the following for example:

slim line pen kit 3.00

bloodwood pen blank 1.00

doubled cost 6.00 double the cost will cover the sandpaper, glue, polishing materials cost.

1.5 hours to make 20.00

price to charge customer $26.00

thats how i set up the price to charge on the basic items that i make on my lathe.

for stuff that is more involved i will up my hourly rate.

Edited by leatherjunkie

I have a minor critique about the design.

You never make a plural by using an apostrophe. It's not "Photo's", it's "Photos". I'm afraid I would pass these up because of that alone, but I was an English major and such things bug me more than most.

A simple meme I learned in school about apostrophes was "Yes, yes! Apostrophe S! Singular possessive is apostrophe S!" We did a conga line one day to surprise the teacher. Seventh graders are not proud...

I have a minor critique about the design.

You never make a plural by using an apostrophe. It's not "Photo's", it's "Photos". I'm afraid I would pass these up because of that alone, but I was an English major and such things bug me more than most.

A simple meme I learned in school about apostrophes was "Yes, yes! Apostrophe S! Singular possessive is apostrophe S!" We did a conga line one day to surprise the teacher. Seventh graders are not proud...

I was also an English major & it does greatly grate on my nerves to see this. Tom's (possessive, NOT plural- plural would be Toms- with no apostrophe= more than one of them) work is really very nice, and very saleable,but the bottom line is, if I were in the market to purchase one or more photo albums, I wouldn't/couldn't buy these. For exactly the reason mentioned.

Tom, Tashabear and I don't wish to offend, so please don't take offense & don't take it the wrong way. Your work is good, you have good command of coloring, but when you put something in writing, you are judged by that.

russ

Edited by whinewine

I want to thank those that responded so far. I don't usually put writing on anything, but I made an album for display and everyone that looked at it wondered what it was until they picked it up and looked at it. I thought putting the word on it would take the guesswork out of it. I haven't had occasion to really remember the old english lessons ( it's been a long time), and I was never that good at it, LOL. I kept looking at my rough drawings and thinking that something didn't look right, but I just went ahead with them anyway. As soon as I saw the 1st post about the apostrope I knew what it was that was bothering me. Oh well, live and learn.

Thanks again Tom

I would not and do not take offense at anything that has been posted, after all, I asked for the help.

Edited by SmkyTheBr