Sign in to follow this  
George B

How To Figure Belt Length When Using Iwb Holster

Hello to All,

I have recently made a couple of belts specifically for customers using IWB holsters and although both fit well I have some questions.

I searched the forum for this topic and found nothing so I figured I'de ask the pros.

If I measure with my own weapon ( Ruger SP-101 .357 ) in a IWB holster I have to let the belt out between 3/4" to 1" but have read elsewhere that the belt should be 2 sizes longer. Seemed kinda long to me.

I understand that different weapons and IWB holsters will will add or subtract girth but was wondering if there is a rule of thumb one can use for a majority of IWB carry weapons.

I have started asking customers who do not have a IWB carry belt to measure using a current belt of the width they want but with some this is very time consuming.

Any suggestions?

Thanks to all, George

the best way I know of is for the customer to measure the belt they currently use, on the best fitting notch, while wearing the holster they plan to carry.... if they don't have a belt or a holster it's going to be hard to get a precise measurement for IWB use....

If at all possible, I personally measure the belt they wear when they talk to me about the new one.

I go from that "most used" hole to the buckle end, . . . that is my critical measurement.

I always put 7 holes in my belts, instead of 5 like you find at most stores. The center hole is my critical measurement hole.

So far, I've never had any dress gun belts come back with that formula.

May God bless,

Dwight

I carry IWB regularly. For small, flat guns add 1", for full size guns and revolvers add 2".

Thanks to all who answered everyone had useful advice.

Yesterday I took the day to making two kinds of IWB holsters for my Ruger Sp-101 .357.

One using all leather with a 2" X 2" light piece of kydex between the 2 layers of leather in the back. I placed it where the cylinder lays to spread the bulk.

The second was a cross-breed kydex with leather backer.

Both had the same pattern using the same leather belt loops.

What I found was,

1. Both holsters required the same amount of belt length, the leather holster did not require any more belt length than the lighter cross-breed.
  2. Depending on where I wore the holsters the belt length required would change. On the side, needed 1.5". near the back only 3/4".
  3. I was constantly moving the kydex holster around to find a more comfortable position, not so with the leather holster.
  4. The kydex wore the bluing off the edges of my Ruger after only an afternoon of use.
  5. The leather did not collapse in the leather holster when the weapon was drawn. This may change with use however.
  6. The leather holster was by far the more comfortable of the two.
  7. The cross-breed holster took a lot less time to build, a plus for profit.
  8. The cross-breed had less cost in materials.
  9. The cross-breed required very little finish work.

All that said, I'm sitting here writing this wearing the leather holster.

Thanks again, George