revrat

What Could Cause This Thread Issue 111W101

Ok, I have a Singer 111w101 and have made every adjustment I can think of, from adjusting the shaft position of the hook gear to adjusting tension on the top thread and I still get this issue. If I run the machine by hand, the top thread does fine, but as soon as I put some power to it, almost regardless of speed, I get freying on my top thread at the needle. Eventually it nicks the thread fibers enough that the thread breaks and I have to back up and start over where the issue began. I thought it might have been from burrs on the throat plate so I pulled it, re-drilled the hole and polished it top and bottom so I know that's not it either. I was able to live with it on my last project, but now it's doing it about every foot of sewing. Any theories or ideas? I really appreciate any help you guys can give!

photo1_zps4e473a5f.jpg

Thanks in advance,

Justin

Check for grooves in the thread guides were the thread rubs against them,burr on tip of hook,hole in bottom of inside foot could have a groove.

I had a similar situation that was caused by the needle being positioned too far left in the inner foot's needle hole. I swapped the inner foot out for one with a slightly larger hole, and it stopped completely.

I suppose the way the thread path crosses from the last thread guide (straight in front of the needle bar) to the long groove on the left side of the needle makes it possible for the front edge of the groove to clip/abrade the thread when the needle is at the low point in its travel, if its almost touching the side of the hole in its descent. Its one more thing to look at....

-DC

Needle size too small for thread size can do it as well.

Thanks guys, I'll look into these when I get home. I didn't even think about the hole in the foot, haven't looked at that at all.

Well, I looked at the inner foot and the needle seemed to be a little close to the rear of the hole so I took the foot off and drilled the hole bigger, then polished the edges so they weren't sharp. Still no joy. I did watch the thread while turning the flywheel by hand and realized that when the needle is coming up from the material the thread seems to be wrapped around the needle itself. I think when it creates this wrap the tip of the needle is snagging the thread. Would that be a timing issue?

Also, I'm not sure at what point in the scarf of the needle the hook is supposed to intersect. The eye is way at the bottom of the scark, but my hook intersects closer to the halfway point (maybe a little above) on the upward stroke of the needle. Is that right?

Thanks guys!

Try increasing the swing of the check spring. It holds the thread taut on the downstroke to prevent the thread from getting cut by the needle. If it is set for too little motion the thread can twist under the tip of the needle, just as yours is doing.

I will do that. How much tension should there be on that spring? Mine is really weak and if it's not supposed to be I may need to adjust or replace it. Do they wear out?

I will do that. How much tension should there be on that spring? Mine is really weak and if it's not supposed to be I may need to adjust or replace it. Do they wear out?

Enough to follow the thread as the take-up lever descends and hold the thread taut in the eye of the needle as it reaches the top layer of the work. I should not overpower the top thread tension disks. I usually set my check springs to have enough spring action to snap back to the top when I pull them all the way to the lower stop position. Sometimes you have to increase the spring tension for heavy threads, then back them off a bit for thinner thread.

How do you set tension on a check spring on the cowboy 4500, the only adjustment I see is in the travel on not the tension?

How do you set tension on a check spring on the cowboy 4500, the only adjustment I see is in the travel on not the tension?

Loosen the hex nut on the back of the housing for the bottom disks, then turn the split shaft one way or the other to change the tension on the check spring. Lock the nut down when you are happy with the spring tension.

Is the split shaft threaded into the machine then as well?

Is the split shaft threaded into the machine then as well?

The shaft goes through a hole in the frame. Can't recall if it is smooth or threaded. The nut on the back stops it from turning.

Thanks Wiz,

I suspect it's a hole where the spring and washers keep tension on the nut.

Good to know, I didn't see that adjustment in the manual.

Justin, you may want to try a different spool of thread, just to be sure. Steve

Am I seeing things? it looks like the thread is going from right to left through the needle. Might be time for me to get some glasses.