rmr

Inside Lining For A Satchel/breifcase

I am wanting to make on old fashion leather satchel/briefcase for a friend of mine. Planning on using some Horween leather. I have noticed on some of the nicer cases out there- that on the inside dividers, the makers use a combination of leather and a synthetic nylon looking cloth-like material.

What is the nylon cloth like material called and is there a source for it - I have never seen anything like it when I go to the fabric stores with my wife- but I also haven't asked

Thanks

RMR

Tandy leather carries a couple of different cloths that they sell as lining. I haven't tried any of theirs but I have used printed canvas in some of my projects.

Hi rmr,

Know you may already be done with this by now, but here is my 2 cents. I am not sure which material you are referring to exactly, but if it is the material that is used commercially, the satiny looking stuff, stay away from it. Far, far away. If you put that much time, effort, and expense into the outside the fabric they sell as lining will fall apart before the outside has had a chance to break in. Suggest you go back to the fabric store or anyplace where you can feel the fabric, and look in the upholstery wt. materials. It is going to last longer, look nicer, and lay better. It was made to be sat on, etc, so it going to be much more durable. This is just my opinion, but have made enough bags to determine this based on our construction and how they turn out with different lining fabrics. Good Luck.

sounds like it might be 200D or 300D nylon packcloth. if that's what it is it will last a long time as long as it is not exposed to uv light. uv will kill nylon after a while.

personally i would never use nylon in a fine leather item because i think it will cheapen the overall feel and quality of the item but that's just me.

thanks everyone for the input. Will look at several products mentioned. Might just line with 20z leather

Go to Springfiled and get a side of thier 2-3 oz tooling leather that has a "Soft Hand" if works pretty good for lining larget items.