LeatherWerks

Quality Stitching Awl

Recently, I had a project where I had to hand stitch because I just couldn't do it with a sewing machine. I don't like hand stitching, not because it doesn't look good, it just takes too much time. Anyway, not owning a stitching awl, I bought one from Tandy Leather. It lasted about two hours and the awl pulled out of the wood handle. You get what you pay for I guess.

Anyway, now I need another one, and this time I'm willing to buy a quality tool, not because I plan on doing a lot of hand stitching, but because if I do, I want my awl to last through the entire job.

Looking around at my current tools, many came from Douglas Tools, that is after the original ones I bought from Tandy Leather broke. I could spend 75.00 for an awl handle and 27.00 for an awl from Douglas, but was hoping there was a less expensive route out there. I know the Douglas set-up would be the last time I ever had to buy an awl, but it just seem a bit expensive for a tool I rarely use.

Anyone know of a quality stitching awl on the market?

Thanks,

Steve

Here's the one I have...

awlhandles.jpg

http://www.barrykingtools.com/handtools.htm

It is VERY nice and well-made. Mine came with several awl blades too...diamond, straight point...and I think a different diamond size. Well worth what he's charging for them.

Edited by TXAG

Get the Douglas awl blade. They fit in the Osborne handles with a collet.

Dan

You can get the best. That would be the douglas http://www.sheridanleather.com/Awl_Blades_p/dt-awl-blades.htm. That's about $30 just for the blade. I would get the handle at Springfield leatherhttp://springfieldleather.com/24633/Awl%2CHaft%2CStitching%2C%23145/. At Sheridan the handle will run $75. I think that is a little much for a handle. I have a Osbourne awl http://springfieldleather.com/24641/Blade%2CStabbing-Awl-Eye%2C3-3-4%22/ that might need a little sharpening, but It's only $8 and it will get the job done.

You all got some kind of problem with the Barry King awl or something? What makes the Osborne awl handle so much better than the BK one???

$10 vs $30 :)

Dan

You get what you pay for. You want junk, go with the cheapie one then.

I wouldn't call the Osborne junk. It's perfectly functional. And with a Douglas blade the combination is a dream.

The Douglas handle is a piece of art. If I had one I'd probably leave it on my desk, just to admire.

BTW, every time I use the awl, I do stop for a moment to admire the blade. It's sweet.

Dan

Well, I would say the BK awl handle is a whole hell of a lot nicer than that Osborne one, but whatever...I really don't care what you use. I know mine works great and is very well made.

I bought one from Tandy Leather. It lasted about two hours and the awl pulled out of the wood handle. You get what you pay for I guess.

Anyone know of a quality stitching awl on the market?

If you still have the 'broken' awl, and is the wooden type with a brass collar to stop the wood splitting, just reseat the blade. This is done by using two copper/brass coins either side of the blade ( stops damage to blade) and placing the lot in a small vice so that the part of the blade that enters the wood is exposed. Then place the handle on top of the blade and tap with a mallet. A touch of epoxy will often cure a persistent offender. If used, allow to set overnight!

Abbey Saddlery and Crafts sell very good handmade blades in varioius sizes for insertion into handle of your choice. (I think they have a US agent?)

I have a blade that is now well over 20yrs old and is about 1/2" shorter than new and the 'diamond' shape is now oval. With this in mind, be aware that an awl blade 'works in' with regular use and will 'blend' to its user. So the more you use it the better it gets until you drop it on the floor! Hint.

Another way to reseat the blade is to use a dead matchstick break it in two and sand one end insert into the hole in the handle gentle tap in with a small hammer until it breaks.You may need to make sure its flush then reseat the blade into

handle.Using the method as above with two coins. Done this a few times yes dropped on floor, hope this helps.

All the best

jcuk

Okay, all those ideas are great ones. I like the Douglas awl just because the other tools I've bought from them are great. TXAG, does that Barry King handle use a wrench to tighten around the awl or some other method?. Do you think a Douglas awl would fit in it? Even though I could use the Osbourne, I like the look of the Barry King handle. I even like the look of the Douglas handle better, but not for 75.00.

It's kind of like the project that I broke my Tandy awl on. The guy wanted a custom sheath for a razor blade pocket knife he paid 5.00 for at Walmart. I ask him why he would pay me 40.00 to make custom sheath for a 5.00 knife and he said, "he just liked how it looks." So for me, if it will fit, I'm going to try the Douglas awl in the Barry King handle. Hope it fits.

Steve

Okay, all those ideas are great ones. I like the Douglas awl just because the other tools I've bought from them are great. TXAG, does that Barry King handle use a wrench to tighten around the awl or some other method?. Do you think a Douglas awl would fit in it? Even though I could use the Osbourne, I like the look of the Barry King handle. I even like the look of the Douglas handle better, but not for 75.00.

Yes, you can use a wrench to tighten the collet on the BK one...there are flats around it to do that. I haven't because they are very polished, but my awl blades stay in pretty well without having to use a wrench...I think any standard size awl blades will fit in the collet on the BK handle. I can take a closer look at mine when I get home tonight, if that would help...

Okay, check this out. Bought the Barry King handle. 35.00 plus 8.00 shipping. I go to Douglas tools and was about to order the 27.00 awl until they told me it would be nearly 19.00 to ship it. Can't figure that one out.

Yeah, that's jacked up. Price-gouging shipping fees like that will make me write off a supplier permanently. I get so tired of that crap.

Okay in fairness to Douglas Tools, I called them about the shipping and they walked me through a way to get it shipped USPS for 7.57. So now I have the Barry King handle with the back ordered Douglas awl on the way at some point....pardon the pun. Thanks to everyone who helped out on this one.

Steve

Well...it's good that you could do that, but it shouldn't be that hard to where you have to call someone to jump through the hoops to do it. Anyway, it could easily be shipped via 1st class mail...only costs about $1.69 for up to three ounces. I guess since I don't gouge my own buyers on shipping, I think other people shouldn't be gouging me...stupid of me to think that, I know...

Okay in fairness to Douglas Tools, I called them about the shipping and they walked me through a way to get it shipped USPS for 7.57. So now I have the Barry King handle with the back ordered Douglas awl on the way at some point....pardon the pun. Thanks to everyone who helped out on this one.

Steve

This is what I have. Its top stuff!

I have found that problem with Sheridan also. I was going to try some Wyo Quick slik $4.50 for a small bottle $21.50 for there cheapest shipping.

I have found that problem with Sheridan also. I was going to try some Wyo Quick slik $4.50 for a small bottle $21.50 for there cheapest shipping.

Yeah, see? That's messed up. I would LOVE to hear their explanation for that. I wonder if they think they can just collect all that extra money because most people will just pay it or what...and if they try to claim it's "a problem with our website ", then they need to fix it. That is no reason to continually rip people off on shipping forever. Shipping has been high from these places from the first time I started buying tools and supplies. It's ridiculous.

Sorry for the rant...that crap just makes me mad when they try to pull that stuff.

Yeah, that's jacked up. Price-gouging shipping fees like that will make me write off a supplier permanently. I get so tired of that crap.

Yep I was looking for a missing screw on a high end revolver. Called the manufacturer and was told it was $2.00. Told the lady to send it out and also inquired in a total price with shipping was told it would be $18.00. told them never mind wasn't worth the cost of the shipping.

Hi Everybody,

It looks like I'm getting to this post a little late. We are the maker of the "Stinger" Awl Handles. They are $35.00 for most woods in either round or flat sided. I always recomend the Douglas blades as they come sharp & stay that way for a long time. We usually ship the handles by First Class shipping, wihich runs $3.00 for most parts of the US. We are starting to work on building up stock for the Sheridan show. So we are going to be working on a new batch of "Stinger" Awl Handles in the next week or so.

Thanks,,, Ed & Beary

Here's a couple pictures of some recent "Stingers". These are all gone. But more is coming soon.

Show Stingers  2.jpg

Stingers 7 1 13  3-(1 of 1).jpg

post-7175-0-00920400-1390778678_thumb.jp

post-7175-0-90227300-1390778697_thumb.jp

I've got a Barry king awl with a Douglas blade, both very nice! Mostly I use a cheap Dixon awl that has the blade hammered in, or a Blanchard awl that's reall small in an old peg awl haft! I do want to try one of those little skinny I es that bear man makes though!

I was about to order a Douglas Awl Blade. UPS was $16+ and then finally found the USPS shipping of $7+. Even that is crazy for an awl blade.

Received my awl handle from BearMan today. Im very impressed with his product, professionalism, and speed of service! Definitly a high quality tool in my opinion!

20140318_152326.jpg

20140318_152510.jpg