Bitta

Tandy Splitters

Tandy just put their older model Pro Splitter (modeled after an Osborne #84) on the Outlet website for $249.99 online sales only and sporting a suggested retail price of $899.

They came out with two newer ones. A 4 3/4 inch "High Tech" model and a 6 inch model with the fancy new Craftool Pro black rubber handle. Can anyone attest to improvements in these new models or is the older model a better deal?

The older Pro Splitter is an 8 inch and comes with an extra blade. http://www.tandyleatheroutlet.com/p-383-pro-splitter-wextra-blade.aspx

The new Procraft Deluxe Splitter https://www.tandyleather.com/en-usd/search/searchresults/3795-00.aspx $385 elite price.

Edited by Bitta

Wider is better. I can not attest to the quality of any of these, except to say that the people that I have talked to that have bought splitters recently needed to work on the blades right out of the box.

I once went in a store looking for an awl. You'd think that would be simple. But apparently, one that actually WORKS is harder to find :) So I grabbed one, put a blade in it from off the shelf, and went to stab that piece of 9/10 cow across the aisle. Manager - what with managers being rather the girlie, can't -deal -with -a -real -job type - freaks out cuz I'm gonna put a hole in that leather (Oh MY!). So I told him I'd BUY that piece of leather. And IF this cuts without leaning on it, I'll take teh awl haft and blade, too. Turned out he was worrying for nothing .. that awl wouldn't hurt that leather anyway :rofl:

Never thought I'd see the day when I have to sharpen a blade BEFORE I use it. After 1000 years of tool and die work, I know HOW to sharpen, I just don't think I should have to. I also shouldn't have to heat my food at the resturaunt (it should come that way) or put oil in it when I buy a new car...

I have a 4 inch model. If you can sharpen the blade it works great on small projects. We use it to pare down the thickness of straps. So it works great for us. But it will need sharpening out of the box. That I assure you.

Tandy just put their older model Pro Splitter (modeled after an Osborne #84) on the Outlet website for $249.99 online sales only and sporting a suggested retail price of $899.

They came out with two newer ones. A 4 3/4 inch "High Tech" model and a 6 inch model with the fancy new Craftool Pro black rubber handle. Can anyone attest to improvements in these new models or is the older model a better deal?

The older Pro Splitter is an 8 inch and comes with an extra blade. http://www.tandyleatheroutlet.com/p-383-pro-splitter-wextra-blade.aspx

The new Procraft Deluxe Splitter https://www.tandyleather.com/en-usd/search/searchresults/3795-00.aspx $385 elite price.

I am not a great fan of Tandy but I'm grateful that someone will offer reasonable tools for beginners. The #84 copy is like most of their tools produced in Taiwan or China. Campbell Randall and CS Osborne has produced this # 84 Keystone splitter and lap skiving machine for more than hundred years now. Their models are made in the USA and the price is from a bit over 500 to 600 $.

The first batch of the Tandy #84 had a handle that did not lock, it was missing the locking ball inside. The blade is also different, different blade bevel angle and different width. And I am sure the US tool have better steel. Ignorance must be the reason that somebody pay nearly 900 $ for a Taiwan copy. 250 $ is what it should be priced at, but I am afraid there must be a "backside to this medal"

I am no sure what a "outlet price" means. However, when something looks to good to be true it often false.

If I know Tandy right they do not give away anything for cheap.

The other "de lux splitter" is also over priced, it's an upgraded older model.

It cannot compare to a professional made # 84, only by price.

I do not say it's a bad tool, only that it's overpriced. So what happened to the reasonable priced options, I can only see overpriced bad quality in their website.

Tor

Edited by Trox

I own the Deluxe splitter, the one with the black handle. I only bought that one because I got it at wholesale price, otherwise I would have gone somewhere else. I found it sharp right out of the box. If you weren't careful, you could cut yourself easily. I have had a couple occasions where I wish it was just a bit wider, like 1/2" would have worked, so I can't imagine getting a narrower version as my only splitter.

I have the High - Tech Leather Splitter.

I works well for me and was sharp from start.

It is much cheeper if you buy it in Denmark!

Its a poor picture. It doesnt look as if it is the same splitter, but it is.

http://laederiet.dk/produkter/skaerfemaskine-/c-24/p-15800

Yeah, I'm just gun shy any more. I have spent thousands of dollars over the years on tools and/or equipment that needed to be altered / fixed / sharpened / adjusted BEFORE I could even use it. At this point, SHOW me it works if you want to sell it.

The wider you split, the sharper the blade has to be. Otherwise you need a come-along to pull the leather thru.

Terry