jdwintx

Anyone try this?

While I'm in the process of making all new seats and bags for my Road*, I've been researching saddlebag construction. I want to make bags that are quick release and rather substantial for long trips. In my research I came across the courbouilli method of hardening leather for armour. I was wondering if anyone has ever tried this for making "rigid" saddlebags and if so, what success or failures you've had. I was thinking about building a wooden form that conformed to the shape of bag I want, wet mold the leather on it, then harden it by pouring hot water and additives over it, then heat drying it. What do you guys think?

While I'm in the process of making all new seats and bags for my Road*, I've been researching saddlebag construction. I want to make bags that are quick release and rather substantial for long trips. In my research I came across the courbouilli method of hardening leather for armour. I was wondering if anyone has ever tried this for making "rigid" saddlebags and if so, what success or failures you've had. I was thinking about building a wooden form that conformed to the shape of bag I want, wet mold the leather on it, then harden it by pouring hot water and additives over it, then heat drying it. What do you guys think?

While it'll stiffen the leather I sure don't see it being irm enough to hold any amount of gear without the weight sagging them out. Not to mention what foul weather might do to the stiffness? I'd personally go with a hard inner panel (wheel side of bag) and then a heat formed plastic reinforcement liner that matches the profile of the bag while filling it full width. That's how my "Boss" bags are reinforced and they've held their shape perfectly for 4 years and 40,000 so far :)

I looked into this, but was concerned with the durability once I got caugt in the rain. I also don't know if tooling would work. I found a pair of Leatherlyke hard plastic bags from a junkyard on ebay, and got them for 70 with shipping. I will be covering those. Just another option.

yea.. i would think you would be better off using some sort of stiffener to help the bags hold thier shape.

i use strips of lexan to stiffen my tool bags

Roger were do you get your lexan

Josh

yea.. i would think you would be better off using some sort of stiffener to help the bags hold thier shape.

i use strips of lexan to stiffen my tool bags