bruce johnson

Dixon Tools, who are the players?

Interesting little curiosity deal for me here. Some of you know I got a plough gauge a few months ago - Barnsley frame with a Dixon blade. After using it, I really have not picked up a draw gauge since. Being a guy who believes in backup, I just got another plough gauge. This one is a Dixon. When I got it, it is a "T Dixon and Sons". The blade that came on my Barnsley is marked "J Dixon Warranted". The handle on the T Dixon is a little higher angle than the J Dixon. Any idea which Dixon came first? Time period for J Dixon? Which Dixon is still making tools? Thanks.

Interesting little curiosity deal for me here. Some of you know I got a plough gauge a few months ago - Barnsley frame with a Dixon blade. After using it, I really have not picked up a draw gauge since. Being a guy who believes in backup, I just got another plough gauge. This one is a Dixon. When I got it, it is a "T Dixon and Sons". The blade that came on my Barnsley is marked "J Dixon Warranted". The handle on the T Dixon is a little higher angle than the J Dixon. Any idea which Dixon came first? Time period for J Dixon? Which Dixon is still making tools? Thanks.

I have four creasers, 2 screw and 2 double and they are all stamped T. Dixon & Sons. I also have a round knife stamped T. Dixon & Sons and another round knife that is just stamped J. Dixon. I too would like to know more about the lineage of the Dixons! The knife stamped J. Dixon keeps a great edge.

Tony.

Bruce. J Dixon is Joseph and T Dixon is Thomas (Thomas being the elder). From what I can gather the company can trace it's lineage to around 1837

http://www.josephdixon.co.uk/thecuttingedge.html

The Joseph Dixon Tool Company has a long history in the Walsall area. We are busy compiling a brief timeline of the company that will be available here soon. (cutting edge link)

This is digging an old one up, but why not? Anybody know why Dixons went out of business?

EPA probably.

OK, Old news but at this point still somewhat pertinent. What I found out from them before the Dixon meltdown was that the different maker stamps may not mean much. There was a lineage of continual family ownership until the end, but the maker stamps sometimes got recycled. They would use one, dig out another one and use that for a while, then another, and go back to an earlier version and bring that one back for a while. 

Regarding the closure, It was a family business and things within the recent family fell apart and so went the business. Sad when one of the longest family run businesses in England and at one time best regarded leather tool makers in the world closed shop. The later tools were not the standards or patterns of the earlier ones, but they are sure not the only maker that went that way in this business. 

Thanks for the update. I was curious why they'd have gone under now as it seems like leather and leather working is seeing a bit of a revival these days. I was over in the UK last year and there was another leather goods maker (can't recall the name offhand) in the Cotswolds area who'd also recently gone under so I was trying to figure out if there was something in the water so to speak :)

I have some Dixon tools got around 20 years ago they will out last me for sure maybe that whats did for them 

there tools were to well made they would last more than a life time.

No need to keep buying replacements maybe there quality went down towards the end trying to compete with

cheaply made imports hope this is not happening to one of your old tool makers across the pond would be a real shame

only say this because i have read and heard there quality is not what it was.

I had a Round knife made buy them loved it,got damage asked someone to fix they made it worse.

Contacted the place i got it from about 18 years before they told me to send it back they would replace it with a new 

one fantastic costumer service.

But have to say no where near as good as the old one, gave it a year or so chance could not get it to hold its edge enough still

a great gesture by the company.

I will leave you to guess who said company is.

Maybe we are to blame as well we have all looked for a cheaper tools once in a while even though you know better. 

Anyone new to leatherwork would be better off buying good tools first time around they will always sell for good money,

if they find out leatherwork is not for them.

Much more to say on this but enough for now.

all the best JCUK

11 hours ago, William Bloke said:

EPA?

Environmental protection agency. 

I said it as kind of a joke. Just another cog in a greedy political joke. 

11 hours ago, MADMAX22 said:

Environmental protection agency. 

I said it as kind of a joke. Just another cog in a greedy political joke. 

Oh sorry, you biting satire was clearly too clever for me.

On 3/21/2017 at 12:11 AM, strathmoredesigns said:

This is digging an old one up, but why not? Anybody know why Dixons went out of business?

According to the most recent owner Dixons went out of business due to liability claims for tinnitus from ex employees encouraged by unscrupulous lawyers