Suicide

Just Made Moccasins

Hi folks,

Just finished this pair. Has triple sole (with felt midsole), made from the 4 oz buffalo/heavy 7 oz white deerskin and nubuck thin 1.5 oz deerskin as lining. Laced all around with 2 different styles.

Current owner with his new pair shoes is on the second pic ;)

post-26007-072134000 1324415123_thumb.jp

post-26007-097391400 1324415142_thumb.jp

I am making moosehide moccasins for my children. Over the years I have made mukluks as well. The only problem I have is that the heel tends to get "walked on" . When the moccasin is on the foot the foot seems to crush the heel to the side and flatten it. Is there a way to reinforce the heel to make it more rigid so it stays nicer? My girls say that the Ugg boots do the same thing and other soft leather style boots do too. If you don't know what I mean I could take a picture and email it. My moccasins are hand sewn but I'm frustrated as I spend a lot of time on it and don't like the way the heel looks after they are worn abit.

thanks for any advice.

I am making moosehide moccasins for my children. Over the years I have made mukluks as well. The only problem I have is that the heel tends to get "walked on" . When the moccasin is on the foot the foot seems to crush the heel to the side and flatten it. Is there a way to reinforce the heel to make it more rigid so it stays nicer? My girls say that the Ugg boots do the same thing and other soft leather style boots do too. If you don't know what I mean I could take a picture and email it. My moccasins are hand sewn but I'm frustrated as I spend a lot of time on it and don't like the way the heel looks after they are worn abit.

thanks for any advice.

Hi,

Yep, I think understood the problem, but have seen such the only once.

That guy made a mistake while cutting a leather - he put pattern on the hide by diagonal (a bit) and got ugly mocs - while wearing these mocs always try to turn aroun the foot. Not the only toe but also a heel. Might it be your case?

Also I always do mocs very very tight. I usually explain to customers these not "too small" for them but must be so tight so they even might feel a bit pain while first 2-3 days of wearing.

If mocs "just right" from the first minute, then they are going to get loose in next 2 days and may to be deformed in the way you have described.

To add stiffness to a heel I often use hard braid (like for instance round mexican braid) on the heels - please see picture attached. It reinvorces a lot.

post-26007-039735300 1332191935_thumb.jp

thanks for any advice.

Couple things can happen that causes this. Cutting from the leather in the wrong spot can cause the leather to twist and roll. Soles, and the main body of the Moc should be cut perpendicular to the spine of the animal to help prevent this. Another thing that can be done is to skive and glue and stitch a heal piece inside the moc.

I learned most of this from a fellow who makes mocs and boots similar to these. http://www.sodhoppers.com/

PM me for a tutorial on how to make them. I have the link somewhere... but too tired to look it up now.