Leather Bum

Hydroma Cutting Board

Has anyone used the new Hydroma "professional" cutting boards being sold by Tandy? They say they're used in clicker cutting applications, but they seem so hard that I'm afraid of them damaging punches. . . Are they meant to be used only for punching on or for knife-cutting as well?

Also, does anyone know where they could be purchased other than TLF?

Micah

I dont have first hand experience with it myself, but I was at the Tandy store today (in Des Moines, IA) and asked about it. I was told that the Hydroma board is mainly for cutting. I asked about punches etc. They said "I wouldn't use it for punches and would stick with the poundo for that."

The Hydroma is pretty thick. It seemed to be about an inch thick. Plus at that price it seemed like a big expense for just cutting especially given that it is not really that long. I suppose if you do a lot of cutting it would be worth it, but if you can't (or shouldn't) punch on it then seems like an expensive uni-tasker. I was hoping it would be exactly what I needed but I ended up walking away.

If anyone else out there has tried it, I would like to hear if you think it is worth it or not.

-Dr. Phil

Leather Bum if you have a Wal Mart or maybe a K Mart get one of the white cutting boards. They work fine and cost around 10.00 for a good sized one. I cut on mine and punch on it to. You need to get some of the rubber mat stuff they put in cabinets to keep dishes from sliding and put it under the cutting board because their pretty slick unless you screw it to you bench.

Thanks, everyone. According to an email from a Tandy customer service manager, you can use these Hydroma cutting boards with any of Tandy's cutting or punching tools. However, I'm not sure if that means it is safe to use all types of cutting and punching tools on these boards (as in, the tools will not be damaged). . . ;) I can see how they could be very effective in punching operations because they are so hard, but on the other hand, I wonder if that would also lead to damaging the cutting edges over time. . .

Also, I did end up purchasing a nice cutting board from The Cutting Board Company, and it seems to work well for cutting leather. I haven't tried using punching tools on it because as their web page says, "Cleavers are not made to be used on Plastic Cutting boards," and I figured this would also apply to other tools that need to impact the cutting surface to be effective. . . Perhaps it really does not matter much though. I don't know.

I have had several of my punches break off at the tip where they became embedded in the white cutting boards.

I don't recommend the white cutting boards for cheap /inexpensive, or fragile punches.

I have had several of my punches break off at the tip where they became embedded in the white cutting boards.

I don't recommend the white cutting boards for cheap /inexpensive, or fragile punches.

What did you hit the punches with a sledge hammer ? I've used several different white cutting boards for 20 years and never had anything like that happen before. Never had one stick in the boards either that i can remember and i guess like most ever body i have had some cheap punches at one time.

I have heard that they are the same material that is placed on the base of clickers. I checked prices of clicker base mats from a well known maker and it ran $55.00 for a piece 12 X 24 X .8 inches. Alot cheeper than Tandy. Just my 2 cents.

No, I used a 19 oz maul. I save the sledge hammer for my makers stamp. :)

The punches where inexpensive Tandy Brand punches. They have a very sharp edge and cut nicely. But they cut into the board just as nicely. But maybe the problem is swinging a 19 oz maul with to much force.

Joel

My wife uses that hydroma board as a light-weight replacement for the granite slab so she can tool with it in her lap while watching TV. I haven't tried it myself, but it seems to work for her.

For cutting stamps, I usually just put an old magazine or junk mail catalog under the leather and pound away....soft on the tools, and I don't scar up anything I care about.

My wife uses that hydroma board as a light-weight replacement for the granite slab so she can tool with it in her lap while watching TV. I haven't tried it myself, but it seems to work for her.

For cutting stamps, I usually just put an old magazine or junk mail catalog under the leather and pound away....soft on the tools, and I don't scar up anything I care about.

I ordered the exact size I was needing (18" x 28" x 1"-thick) from Indusco (Hydroma Cutting Pad).

They charge $0.19 per square inch & will cut to any size you need. This is the HY-72 red-brown Hydroma. It took about 3-days to get to me.

Your round/head knife will glide across it like sharp ice skates without digging in and allows curved cuts without risk of damage to your round knife blade. This is SO MUCH BETTER than the white cutting board that I use on punches or other types of cutting.

For those punching holes for lacing, etc., I use a scrap or two of 9-11 oz leather under the project piece I'm punching so that if/when it goes through my target piece of leather, it goes into another piece of leather before hitting the cutting board and does not risk damage to my tools.

Bingo!

I ordered the exact size I was needing (18" x 28" x 1"-thick) from Indusco (Hydroma Cutting Pad).
They charge $0.19 per square inch & will cut to any size you need. This is the HY-72 red-brown Hydroma. It took about 3-days to get to me.

Your round/head knife will glide across it like sharp ice skates without digging in and allows curved cuts without risk of damage to your round knife blade. This is SO MUCH BETTER than the white cutting board that I use on punches or other types of cutting.

You can see this skating effect in this Tandy video @4:20:

[i would not use it for punching though. I use punch pliers for making holes when I can, otherwise the end-grain of a log which is stiff but yielding.]

Thank you GoldenKnight I am going to order right now.

I've used the Walmart white cutting boards for quite some time and I have never broken any tools!

Buy good tools once, buy cheap tools over and over again.

I have a wood shop and when the white cutting board gets on the rough side I run it through the planer and just skim the old marked up stuff off, when it gets real bad I buy my wife a new cutting board

I received mine yesterday.I am very happy wit it.

I'm kind of late to the party but hydroma is great for cutting and punching. It should not hurt your die at all. I clicked about 1200 belt ends at work last week and the die was as sharp on Thursday as it was on Tuesday when I started. The Tandy price is very expensive though, you can get it on line much cheaper.