Eternal Custom Designs

Cutting Two Pieces Identical

I'm making dog collars with two layers of 4-5 ounce veg tanned shoulders...what's the best way to cut them the same shape...I'm very new to the craft and don't have an abundance of tools...also should I cut down on the the tooling side or the grain side...thanks in advance...

Rob-B

Cut one out to your desired shape, then cut the other one slightly oversized. Once they're attached, then you can come through and trim the big one to the exact shape of the other. If you try to cut them the same before attaching, you'll never get them lined up evenly. You'll want to make your cuts from the grain side, which is the tooling side. The back of the leather is called the "flesh".

Thanks...very much so...I think just starting the cutting is the scariest part...lol..I financially can't afford to mess up...thanks again

If you're scared of the cutting, I would suggest picking up some scrap bags to practice on. The key is to measure and check before you do it, then keep a good handle on your knife. Go slow and make sure the knife is SHARP

Do you cut your leather wet? This collar on the top layer will have a name cut into it...all the way through to where the flesh side of the 2nd layer will be seen...any advice?

If you're making any type of dog collars, belts or other strap items, a strap cutter is the way to go. I do have a 6 foot long piece of cold roll steel I picked up that I use to make the my edge on a new side straight before I strap cut it.

For my lined belts and collars, I cut a full-length strap, use a splitter to make it the same thickness from end-to-end. Glue them together.

You have to develop a touch to make sure the edges are perfectly lined up when you put the glued faces together, but practice makes perfect.

Or, you can do what cyberthrasher said, and make one bigger than the other and trim. I always seem to screw up the edges when I try that though.. I always seem to forget to put pressure on my straight edge and the leather moves under it as I cut.

One trick I've used for the lined collars is to apply the contact cement and let it set. set one strap on its edge on my slab. Carefully line up the 2 ends and stick them together, then slowly join the resat of the strap, working from that end. The slab helps to line the edges up perfectly. Any slight variations go away with some sanding.

Also what do you use to mark your pieces...sorry for the 20 ?s

I use a pen or pencil if one is at hand since these will be the cut lines they won't show up, or you could use your pointy end of the modeling tool (which I also do).

when cutting your pattern from the main hide just rough extra spaces, then place your pattern on the piece you cut and mark out the shape. never try to cut the shape exactly from the hide. The extra bits you cut off can always be used for something - I use some bits to put under when I'm using a hole punch, or to practice painting on, or even lines with my swivel knife.

Like you, I'm also learning and found the leather expensive to learn with so I'm also careful at cutting out. I did try to cut a arm guard straight from the hide when I started and slipped with the knife, (Arrrhhh) and "wasted" about a foot of leather, hence the cutting extra around the basic pattern.

Hope this helps, from one noob to another noob. :)

Thanks... yeah my cutting went good...this particular collar has two layers..on the top layer I cut a name in it to where when the two layers are attached it will look pretty nice...what do you clean your leather with before dying...I was told to where gloves when working with the leather but if I do I'll sweat more being in Texas...lol..and drip sweat on my pieces...I cut my back side about about 3/16 th larger so when I glue them I can just trim the one side to match...any tips on dying and gluing? Thanks a lot

Rob-B

...any tips on dying and gluing? Thanks a lot

We have a whole sub-forum for it. Have a look around and ask if you need clarification on anything.

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showforum=18

As for cleaning, you should at least wipe it down with a light coat of alcohol (light, because alcohol will dry out the leather). That said, I don't do it. I just religiously wash my hands with dish-soap before handling an order. I do wear gloves all the time though when I'm working with any kind of finish.

Edited by Cyberthrasher

Awesome...I'm using black and so far so good...how can I post progress pics on here?

Click "more reply options" on the bottom right and you'll see a spot on the bottom to add an attachment. You may need to compress your files in order to post them in the forum.

let your dye sit for at least a couple hours. I would usually prefer overnight. Keep in mind that when you glue, you'll probably want to sand off the excess on the edges, so be prepared to redye the edges.

What you should be doing with the edges is leave them alone, assemble with glue, bevel front and back edge, slick, dye, finish (all according to our edge finishing guide). If you try to get them dyed up first, then it's just going to cause more work since you want to make the edge look like it's ONE piece of leather. Has anybody pointed out the Edge Finishing guide to you yet? It's in the pinned topics here.

Looks like you're running into the most common problem with black (regardless of manufacturer) - uneven application. I would put a light coat of neatsfoot oil on it (light light) and then rub some more black on it. That should even it out and make it pop. I like to use the blue shop paper towels and just rub it on. You'll get a pretty even application that way.

When I took the pic I just applied it so it looks uneven...I buffed it a bit and it looks uniform now...I'm about to glue the back on now but I'm a bit worried on how to do so...I don't know exactly how to tackle it...the gkue application that is....since I have the letters cut out...I don't want glue within the open letter area cause I have to dye inside to the back layer...any thoughts?

careful application of the glue is about all you can do. If there's a spot that MUST NOT have glue, you can try masking it beforehand. What are you using for glue?

I have three to choose from...the tanners bond from Tandy contact cement...the eco weld...and the eco flo leather weld...masking is a great idea..but how would you know where to apply the glue on the bottom half...I was thinking to apply a light coat to the top half and lightly place it on the bottom piece leaving a bit of residual glue to see where to apply it on that half...thoughts? See the bottom piece I'm attaching? Also I will need to glue down the small area of the letters that stick up

File was too big sorry...but its just a strip about 3/16th of an inch bigger

That could work. I would focus my glue on the top piece and only apply it to the areas I KNOW are going to be covered on the bottom. Your main concern on a project like this will be keeping those edges together. Using the contact cement (which is what I would recommend), you'll want to make sure that the bottom piece doesn't have any dye or finish on it and apply to both pieces. Then let it tack up a bit before sticking them together. It's actually best practice to put on two coats - letting the first dry a bit and then allowing the second coat to reactivate for a lifelong bond.

So I really don't have to apply cement to both pieces? In a situation like this? Or did I misunderstand? Can I just apply the cement to one surface and still have a great bond?

You'd want to apply it to both surfaces. Just apply it all over the top, and focus the bottom application to the areas that you KNOW will be covered (each end outside your lettering and the edges). I thought that might be worded a little funny, so I'm glad you asked.