silverback

Importing Headknife Into Australia

Hi guys,

i am in the UK at the moment and have bought some items from Abbey England,one item being a 6 inch headknife. After a while the great thought hit my head: am i going to have trouble getting this thru France and home to Aus.I am going to France thru the tunnel then flying Malaysia airlines to Kuala Lumpur then back home to Aus .I want to know if anybody done this before and did they have problems in the various countries.Waiting in anticipation of any replies.Thanks ,Peter

I can't see it being a problem if it's in your luggage but a quick call to customs will tell you for sure.

It's considered a category 6 weapon.

Your embassy might be another place to try.

http://www.france.embassy.gov.au/pari/home.html

Edited by Tree Reaper

Mail it to yourself from wherever you are now if you have doubts.

Thanks guys,Uk ispretty strict on knives of any sort in their mail according to the post office.Because headknife will be accessible in my luggage going thru the chunnel i have been told it would confiscated..I have been back in contact with Abbey and they said they could mail it back to me in Perth as apparently they dont have problems with the customs. From reading a few knife forums it seems possible that it could still run into problems with our own customs.It may be simpler to go back to Abbey and exchange it for some thing else.

Thank you for replies,Peter

Doubt you would have a problem if you put it in your checked in luggage (not accessible to you)...

I'm an expert on this :surrender:

and I'm in Australia

I have bought quite a few head and round knives from all around the world, Australian customs are quite happy with them described correctly as a leatherworking or saddlery knife, only once did customs call me because the seller maked the package as KNIFE, so they asked me to clarify what it was and then let it through

Just one warning, if you buy off eBay or a seller using the "Global Shipping Program" (GSP) the item is repacked in the US by Pitney Bowes and although they acknowledge that it is legal to import them into Australia they return them to the seller and you have to get a refund. Just avoid the GSP and you will have no issues

cheers

Edited by howie696

I shipped one from the US to the UK and the post office lady told me DON'T put knife! So we decided "leather working tool" was a better description and it worked!

Thanks again for replies.i have decided to go back to Abbey and see if shipping thru them helps.I will let you know in a couple of weeks when i get home if it worked.Peter.

Hi, I returned home Tuesday 28th and there was my notification to go and pick up my parcel at post office. No problems at all with customs. Thank you Abbey England for great service and no extra charges to post.

Peter.