Sign in to follow this  
TN leather

Rifle Magazine Pouch

I want to make a wet formed pouch for a rifle magazine (20 round) that has a slight curve to it. I am familar enough with how to form leather for a molded bag etc. I was wondering if forming over an item that is slightly curved will give me fits when form / drying and sewing?

has anyone tried this? anyone have and words of warning?

I normally would just jump in but I guess age is teaching me a thing or two.

something like this only not attached to the belt, and moled rather than box stitched

http://www.ima-usa.com/product_info.php/products_id/1826

Also any words of advice on hand sewing velcro on leather.

Edited by TN leather

Tn, . . . I make all my molds out of southern yellow pine, . . . and I find it is just about as perfect as one can get for my projects (mostly magazines for weapons, . . . and boxes for other items).

I'd make a magazine copy probably 1/2 inch wider and thicker than the original, . . . cut a piece of leather that was exactly the back side size plus a flap to go over the top and snap to the front, . . . then cut the front, bottom, both sides all in one piece, . . . wet it good, . . . wrap it around your dummy, tack it till it dries, . . . then simply contact cement and rivet the thing together.

Rivets and contact cement are wonderful for such projects.

If you need any help, . . . pm me, . . . I'll walk you through it, . . .

As for velcro, . . . I contact cement it to my leather before I try to stitch it on, . . . and I use a machine, . . . hands are for holding hamburgers, . . . not stitching.

May God bless,

Dwight

Edited by Dwight

I think I am going with molded rather than 3 part box. I formed some over the mag ( plastic covered ) last night and tacked it down. If this does not work I will try something else..

2 piece mold or 3 part box.