GoldArmored

I Can't Figure Out How They Did That! Please Help!

It's hard to explain...

I want to add small metal spots to my creations just like you see on the picture, with a lining on the back to hide the spots prongs.

All the leather layers are machine sewn together, but you must set the spots BEFORE you sew the leather liner, logically.

So, the last step would be to sew.

If you see, the thread is very close to the spots, following the same line.

Is it possible to do that with a sewing machine? (I don't have a sewing machine, I bring my stuff to a cobbler)

I'm asking because, of what I know, the 'foot' of the machine (I dont know how you call that) must sit on flat leather in order to sew correctly! But with all those spots, you cant lower the foot!

Please if you can figure out how it's done, tell me!! :)

Thank you so much!

(P.S.: I'm also wondering that type of spots they use, because if you look closely, you see small rounds shapes thru the lining, but prongs make little triangle teeth shapes. maybe they use rivet-like spots?)

AnnMarieBlackFloral.jpg

I set some pyramid spots on a collar and put a lining on it but I sewed mine by hand. However if you put this on the throat side to sew both sides it might be possible to sew it. Hope this helps. Cheryl

Could the black section (with spots) be a separate piece, glued on after the stitching is done? Notice how the stitch line seems to go just under a few spots. Doesn't explain the marks on the back though.

I have sewed this close but it requires that the foot be only on one side and this allows the needle to sew right up next to things like in this pic.

I would guess this.

the harness leather was tooled/ compressed where the black material seems to be inlayed .

The inlay was then glued in.

Next holes punched for the spots. Spots used to add security to hold the edge of the inlayed material.

The spots pushed in from the back side.

The red leather was then glued on. Holding the spots backs in place.

Then the sewing was done. I would use a single sided pressed foot for the sewing.

Last the spot tops were riveted on. I suggest this because the compressed leather shows the flattened spot backs in relief. As apposed to hiding them completely.

The square Concho's appear to be screw backs.

That's how I see it done.