Sign in to follow this  
rgerbitz

Some new bling

Here is some show and tell. the bosal with the Roo on it is a 9/16 in. with a 14 plait cheek and a 32 plait nose. I have started using one string to tie the foundation on the nose buttons and that has been working out real well for me. The all rawhide bosal is a 12 plait with 32 strand nose. It was made from Mexican steer that died in California, I cut the hide up on a trip in Oregon and braided it into a bosal in Illinois. The bit hobble is a bit hobble.

Rob

Norton_bit_hobble.JPG 22_bosal.JPG Bill_Black.JPG

post-5521-1243475749_thumb.jpg

post-5521-1243475779_thumb.jpg

post-5521-1243475804_thumb.jpg

Here is some show and tell. the bosal with the Roo on it is a 9/16 in. with a 14 plait cheek and a 32 plait nose. I have started using one string to tie the foundation on the nose buttons and that has been working out real well for me. The all rawhide bosal is a 12 plait with 32 strand nose. It was made from Mexican steer that died in California, I cut the hide up on a trip in Oregon and braided it into a bosal in Illinois. The bit hobble is a bit hobble.

Rob

Norton_bit_hobble.JPG 22_bosal.JPG Bill_Black.JPG

Looks good buddy I like it.

Rob

If you need someone to test them you can send them to me and I will. Looking Good like the Roo on the bosal. I need a new bit hobble to. I'm glad the trip you took was a good one looks like it was worth it. Glad you were able to stop in and visit us. Keep up the great work.

Mark

Nice work Rob, I really like the heelknot on the all rawhide bosal! What pattern did you use on the 14 plait? That might help some folks out since it is not a "standard" number of strings. The rawhide you're making looks pretty nice too!

Vaya Con Dios, Alan Bell

Great looking work. Man as far as I have come in the last year, I think I am still miles away from being able to do something anywhere close to as nice.

You did good cuz. :)

Mike

Hey all,

Thanks for the comments, Mark, you are going to have to fight off my sweetie for gear testing details. She is currently "testing" 3 peices of gear for me. And My trip out west was very beneficial and I hope to do it again sometime. Minus the unidentifiable infectious disease I came home with. Wouldn't be any trouble to work a bit hobble into the trade.

Alan,

The pattern was U3, O2, U2 it gave one side of the cheeks a little different look and feel. It may be that only another braider would notice the difference, but I think it looks kind of cool.

Very Well Done!!! Would love to hear more about your trip.

Heather

Thank you Heather, I imagine a few others maybe interested in my trip, so here goes.

Back at the end of March I hopped in a car and drove 1900 miles out to oregan with a layover in wyoming for a night. (Thanks Mark and family) Through a series of events I had been presented with an opportunity to spend some time with a very good braider. He makes his living making bosals, reins, and other assorted braided and hitched horsehair goods. Last year he made 150 bosals along with some reins and other gear. I spent 5 days with him and his family and all he asked was that I covered my grocery bill. From about 6 a.m. til about 6 p.m. everyday we spent out in his shop working on some type of rawhide work. From scraping hides to braiding reins and bosals, I even got to see his wife doing some hair hitching. She was kind enough to send home some hitched bracelts for my wife and daughter. At the end of my five days with them I had a very nice 5/8 bosal and enough string to make some reins and another bosal. I also have been filled to the brim with stories of cowboying in the great basin and info on how best to make gear that fits the horse and rider properly. Everything from which hides are best for which gear to how to swell a nose button. The experience and knowledge are priceless. I hope to be able to go again one day and will take better care of myself next time. A week after I came home I ended up in the hospital for about 5 or so days with some kinda of virus that the doctors from 2 different hopitals weren't able to indetify. That's about all I can stomach typing for now.

Rob

Rob

As always very nice gear!! I'm also very envious of your trip and learning experience. Keep up the great work.

Mike

Rob, your work is amazing! absolutley beautiful gear

Rob, looking good, I can see the influence of your trip in your work,your nose buttons are looking alot better with each piece I see. good job.

Great work Rob!! Actually works of art. Well done.

Art

Thank you Art and Kevin.

Sounds like you got to spend time with Bill Black and his wife!?! You probably drove right past Nate and Mike and Cindy Beaver and a couple of other braiders I can think of. Let me know ahead of time when your next road trip is and I may be able to give you others to visit with!

Vaya Con Dios, Alan Bell

Hey Alan,

How'd you guess. I had a great time out there and am looking to do something like it in the future. Most likely next winter/spring.