I want the finish on this wallet to look like the finish you see on a saddle. That nice golden color but I'm not sure what to use. Ideas please?

Tom

IMG_0002.JPG

post-6291-1236885672_thumb.jpg

To my disappointment I just had the experience that leathersheen on top of eco-flo saddletan brings out a very yellow tone so try experiment with that on scraps and if you have the combo available.

Tom

I want the finish on this wallet to look like the finish you see on a saddle. That nice golden color but I'm not sure what to use. Ideas please?

Tom

IMG_0002.JPG

Well I have it done. Now to do the finish and ya only get one shot at it so I'll try a couple of practice runs on scrap first. Hows it look so far. I've noticed in a couple of places I could have cut and back grounded a little deeper. All and all I like it.

Tom

IMG_0002.JPG

post-6291-1236943507_thumb.jpg

Hi Tom,

Have You considered, light to med. oiled, & then "sun tanning" to the desired color?

That's the way I did this. Ed

Business_Card_Holder_good1.jpg

Business_Card_Holder_good12.jpg

Business_Card_Holder_good13.jpg

post-7175-1236949685_thumb.jpg

post-7175-1236949712_thumb.jpg

post-7175-1236949730_thumb.jpg

Edited by BearMan

Hi Tom,

Have You considered, light to med. oiled, & then "sun tanning" to the desired color?

That's the way I did this. Ed

A light to medium tan? Then neetsfoot oil? And how long did you leave it out in the sun? Oh yeah, where did you get that pebblel background tool?

Tom

A light to medium tan? Then neetsfoot oil? And how long did you leave it out in the sun? Oh yeah, where did you get that pebblel background tool?

Tom

Hi Tom. That's a really nice looking job you did!

I've taken projects and applied a light coat of neatsfoot oil, and layed my stuff out in full sun for a day or maybe 2. It gives the most beautiful suntan to the leather! Then I use another light coat of oil because I feel the sun dries the leather out a bit. Waited overnight, did a resist, and then antiqued with med brown antique. I was very pleased with the results.

Maybe try it with some scrap, and see whatcha think?

Hilly

Edited by Hilly

Hi Tom,

The way I did this one is: after I got done with the tooling, & it was completely dry, I oiled both the outside & inside of the tooled leather. After that had set for atleast a couple hours, I assembled & stitched it. Then I applied a good coat of NeatLac. When that was dry, I set it out in a sunny spot, for a couple hours to start. I think I had a total of 4 hours, in the bright Florida sun. The longer You leave it, the darker it gets! Once it reached the color I wanted, I brought it inside, & added another coat of NeatLac. Once that was completely dry, I added a light coat of Antique, & wiped off most of it. I then let it set for a few hours, & then sealed it with a coat of TanKote.

The "Pebble" background tools are a couple I made.

I hope this helps, Ed

I've applied a coat of neetsfoot oil and now all I have to do is wait for the sun to come out. It's been raining here all weekend. Bummer, but we needed the rain. Thanks for the help everyone.

Tom