grmnsplx

What Kind Of Splitter Is This?

Looks similar to the Heritage 8" skiver from Weaver.

I believe that may be an old C.S. Osborne 8". Tandy has one, so does Weaver, Cowboy, etc. There is an 8" Tandy for sale on eBay as we speak. If you are looking for an older model in great condition.....check out our forum member Bruce Johnson. He has a leather tools website where he has some of best old tools.

Good luck

Folks, it's a CS Osborne No 84 8 inch and works a dream.

I needed to sharpen the blade but once that was done it was amazing.

You can still get them today.

Nige

Hi Nigel (or anyone else who can lend a hand),

I was wondering if you have any tips for sharpening a blade like this. I have a similar splitter and I've been trying to sharpen it for months with only mediocre results. I've seen a lot of sharpening guides on the web, but most aren't for blades like this. I even took it into a "professional" sharpener, but it came back duller than I brought it in.

Any help you all can provide would be greatly appreciated. I can post photos of the blade, as well, if that would help.

You need a person who does planer blades and has a Makita 9820 sharpener. If you can tolerate a little bit of hollow ground edge, a Tormek has a jig that will work also. Of course you have to have the sharpeners and flat stones (for the back) to do this type of blade. I'm thinking maybe Campbell in Texas may be able to do it for you. It takes me 20 minutes setup and teardown to do this and another 10-15 minutes to do the job, so you can figure what you are going to be charged to do one of these. Shops that do a lot of planer and shaper blades stay setup all the time. Don't be too eager to tackle this job yourself unless you know what you are doing. If you really bugger-up a blade, it takes forever to regrind it.

If you can't find someone to sharpen it, or can wait till after Christmas, I can do it for you, but in any case, buy a new blade so you will have something to use while your old blade is in the mail.

Art