C Craft

Where Is The Best Place To Purchase Natural Sinew

I am new here so if this is not the right place, please feel free to move it. The title says it best, Where is the best place to purchase natural sinew.

I have had several sources tell me that natural sinew and artifical don't look alike at all. However I am not sure where to purchase the natural sinew!

With natural sinew do you have a color selection or is that something that just gets colored with the dye or coloration you use on the piece???

Any advice on using natural sinew????

Thanks in advance for any guidance on this natural sinew inquiry!

You will find that working with natural sinew can be a bit of work and sometimes a PITA. Here is a link with good information from Chuck Burrows, it also has a tutorial on using sinew. Scroll down to post #9 http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/320852-Natural-Sinew Crazy crow sells deer sinew, Moscow Hide and Fur hideandfur.com sells deer, elk horse. THe back strap will give you the longest pieces 16 - 20"s or so. You will not buy a roll of it like synthetic sinew. Real sinew is usually in a color they call natural kind of a tan or straw color. You can find some done in white ofr black. That is about the limit of the colors I have seen in real sinew. Many colors available in synthetic sinew. Hope this helps

Thanks for the info.

I want to try some real sinew, I have used the artifical sinew before but, I have been told the difference in looks between the real and artifical is obvious to see!

Another question have you ever used any of this to sew with or can it be used for that. It is advertised as hafting, from Moscow Hide and Fur.

Lot # 7945-0001

Natural gut
hafting material
washed/dried natural gut for hafting and sewing
20 linear feet per roll
#1 quality

$9.95 /ea

Quantity Available:
39 ea
Fill in Quantity above and press button to order

Natural gut is a little different then sinew. Gut comes from the fibers found in animal intestines. Sinew comes from the for legs and back strap of animals such as deer, elk, horse etc. Gut is still used in stringing high end tennis rackets, hafting, sewing buckskin etc. They have it listed for hafting and sewing. I am no expert and do not know what your sewing application is. I would reccomend calling Moscow Hide and Fur and telling them what you want to use it for. They are knowledgable people and can probably tell you if it will be suitable for your application or point you in the direction of something that will be suitable for your application.

Edited by camano ridge

Thanks again for the infor. I have never tried the gut before but I could see where it might work well say, when doing a Mexican braid on the edge of a rawhide sheath!

Here's an odd suggestion if you are still interested in trying out some sinew. A few of the pet stores local to me actually carry some pretty big strips of dried sinew as chew toys for dogs. They may have been cow or bison, but I do not recall at the moment. I also imagine that it isn't the most cost effective way to get it, but if you only wanted to test out some small pieces to see if it'd work for you, it's at least another place to look. They were typically in the same section as the "bully sticks," just in case you wanted to give a look.

Here's an odd suggestion if you are still interested in trying out some sinew. A few of the pet stores local to me actually carry some pretty big strips of dried sinew as chew toys for dogs. They may have been cow or bison, but I do not recall at the moment. I also imagine that it isn't the most cost effective way to get it, but if you only wanted to test out some small pieces to see if it'd work for you, it's at least another place to look. They were typically in the same section as the "bully sticks," just in case you wanted to give a look.

Do you know what these chews are called???

Try "beef flossies" or ask for tendon chews.

http://www.petco.com/product/113122/Merrick-Flossies-Spiral-Chew-Dog-Treats.aspx?

You'll want to avoid the bully sticks though. While fibrous tissues of a sort, it's not sinew. Avoid anything that looks really "fatty" or "greasy" as it is more likely "pizzle". :censored2: Some of the stuff they call "tendon" is actually a bully stick.

Edited by WinterBear

Thanks Winterbear!