David

Latest step by step seat build

I have not attempted one of these step by step posts for quite a while.

I've been getting some requests that I make a more complete post like this.

Please come back daily to see how its coming.

This seat is going on the premier build from a new bike shop here in Cincinnati. Some of you may recognize the name.... Hopefully it will make a magazine or two.

There is a time deadline on this one, So here we go.

Today, the artwork, and transfering it to leather. Many leather workers use that plastic film to trace their pattern on the leather. Since I usually only make a seat one time, I use plain old paper to trace to the leather.... so secrets here.

Hope you all enjoy this one

Dave

Signature2.JPG

DSC_0001_038.JPG

DSC_0002_039.JPG

post-5652-125890617866_thumb.jpg

post-5652-125890619537_thumb.jpg

post-5652-125890620708_thumb.jpg

Beautiful start David! I love you design! The art is going to be great when you finish carving it all out. Look forward to seeing this bad boy as you go along.

Storm

do you glue your seat to the plastic to keep it from stretching?

LOOKING FORWARD TO THIS...........DOC....

Beautiful start David! I love you design! The art is going to be great when you finish carving it all out. Look forward to seeing this bad boy as you go along.

Storm

Thanks Storm,

This is pretty tedious cutting and tooling but that's the stuff I enjoy.

Keep checking back, it will eventually be finished.

Dave

do you glue your seat to the plastic to keep it from stretching?

I back the leather with packing tape and then rubber cement it to the wood tooling board. The board is 1.5" thick.

Dave

LOOKING FORWARD TO THIS...........DOC....

Thanks Doc,

It will eventually get finished. I know it doesn't look like much now.

Dave

Great start David,

I was wondering since this obviously takes you a while do you let the leather dry out between tooling sessions or do you bag it or something.

Great start David,

I was wondering since this obviously takes you a while do you let the leather dry out between tooling sessions or do you bag it or something.

Thanks for the question MadMax. I hope this doesn't start some sort of firestorm.

One of the many things I've discovered that goes against conventional wisdom. I know I'll catch heck for this so I'll tell you now that I'm not trying to start an argument or even a discussion.

It has been my experience that whether the leather drys out or not makes very little difference. Tests have proven that the leather hardens with each drying.....by .003%. That isn't enough to be noticeable by carvers. This hardening accelerates after about a dozen dryings....but I'm finished long before then.

If I really want to keep the leather damp I simply turn the tooling board face down on my marble top workbench.

Try it.

Dave

Edited by David

Thanks for the info. Ill probably start doing that also as my schedule doesnt allow for alot of things and keeping the leather wet inbetween casings is one of them. I usually end up trying to do all my tooling at one sitting and sometimes I just dont have the hours to sit and tool at one time period.

Thanks for the info. Ill probably start doing that also as my schedule doesnt allow for alot of things and keeping the leather wet inbetween casings is one of them. I usually end up trying to do all my tooling at one sitting and sometimes I just dont have the hours to sit and tool at one time period.

If you do decide to try it, turn your work upside down and place some weights on it. This will prevent the edges from curling up.

Dave

Today I had a few interruptions, The Bengals and the Colts..... So I didn't get quite as much finished as I had hoped.

The tooling continued as did the swivel knife work. I alternate back and forth to give my hands a rest.

Today the Phoenix was almost finished.

Thanks for taking a look.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Dave Theobald

DSC_0001_040.JPG

DSC_0002_041.JPG

post-5652-12589424865_thumb.jpg

post-5652-125894249852_thumb.jpg

Sweet! It's like we're all inside David's head! Getting to pick up all the pieces of talent we can find!

Thanks Dave!

Kate and Troy,

Thanks for taking a look. I'm glad you are enjoying it.

Today is a work day (at my regular job) so tooling won't get started until late.

Inside my head eh?

So THAT'S where the voices are coming from.......

I thought I needed to increase my meds.....

lol

Take care

Dave Theobald

Great looking tooling David!! Thanks for sharing, particularily fun since I've worked some with feathers lately. Tideous but still very fun to work with.

:notworthy:

Tom

Looking good. One question.... do you have a seat blank you use or have you figured out the cutout pattern for the seat top from previous seats and is it a standard size? (I think I'm asking the right questions, maybe I'm not. Noob here)

WoooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooow, very nice!!!!!!

Master,

let me be your lil' grasshopper? Man wish I gonna be this good in a few years.

sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet work!!!

Looking good. One question.... do you have a seat blank you use or have you figured out the cutout pattern for the seat top from previous seats and is it a standard size? (I think I'm asking the right questions, maybe I'm not. Noob here)

The vast majority of my seats use the same seat pan. It is a West Eagle pan and a favorite of the the chopper builders. So I have a set of seat patterns for it... a pattern for the top and a separate one for the back. I usually cut them out about 20 at a time. As I've done seats using other pans, I've created and saved patterns for them as well.

Thanks for looking at my project.

Dave Theobald

Today I finished the Phoenix and one of the koi fish and all of the remaining flowers.

So I hope to finish the carving tomorrow. That could be pretty ambitious as I know that Thanksgiving company arrives tomorrow.

Let me know what you think and feel free to ask questions.

David Theobald

DSC_0001_042.JPG

DSC_0002_043.JPG

post-5652-125903624388_thumb.jpg

post-5652-125903626309_thumb.jpg

Dave, You do really great work. This is a good inspiration. My son wants me to make a seat for his bike and this helps me get motivated.

I'm glad this provides information and inspiration to people. That is why it is here. I hope you continue to enjoy it.

Thanks for looking at it.

Dave Theobald

Great work!

What thickness leather are you using?

Great work!

What thickness leather are you using?

The leather is 7-8 oz. From Wickett and Craig

Dave

The tooling on the seat front is now finished and im ready to do a bit of artwork on the seat back.

Let me know if you have questions or critiques.

Always love hearing from everyone.

Dave

DSC_0001_044.JPG

DSC_0002_045.JPG

DSC_0003_046.JPG

DSC_0004_047.JPG

post-5652-125920069778_thumb.jpg

post-5652-125920071378_thumb.jpg

post-5652-125920073374_thumb.jpg

post-5652-125920075356_thumb.jpg