TomBanwell

Vegan Leather??

I've been seeing a lot of items for sale lately that are made of "vegan leather". Now, I don't know about you, but personally I don't think we ought to be persecuting people based on what they eat. I mean, if they don't want to eat meat, fine, that's their business. But I really think someone's getting out of line if these vegetable eaters are being skinned and tanned. Heck, who'd want leather made out of a vegan, anyway?

Vegan leather is such an oxymoron that I looked it up. Wikipedia took me here. Bleh.

Johanna

Johanna, I like Banwell's definition better. Made out of vegans :) It's probably too light weight for any serious use and probably doesn't do a natural oil tan well either.

Dan

so they are using the hides of the Naga now - right?

*ducking and running*

:) It's probably too light weight for any serious use and probably doesn't do a natural oil tan well either.

Cuz some of the do tend to be a little thin skinned at times don't they ;)

Cuz some of the do tend to be a little thin skinned at times don't they ;)

If it's too thin, just fold it over and double it.

I still don't know how well they take dyes. or even if they can be veg tanned!

If it's too thin, just fold it over and double it.

I still don't know how well they take dyes. or even if they can be veg tanned!

Apparently it can, remember the thread about the vegan lady who wanted to be tanned when she died? I think she meant for it to be some kind of protest but I just thought it was funny.

David

Q: how many vegans does it take to change a lightbulb?

A: none, vegans can't change anything.

Q: how many vegans does it take to change a lightbulb?

A: none, vegans can't change anything.

:rofl:

If I get it right, vegan leather is some kind of plastic (lots of toxic, non-biodegradable chemical)

that is procces so that veggan (who are so very affraid of hurting mother nature)

can do upholstery on the seat of their hummer ?

a couple off days ago a body of mine (who sadly is a veggan) put a link on face book with the name:''how to win a argument with a meat-eater''.

I followed the link (just to laugh a little bit) and was badly surprise.

The site I arrived to was a well documented studies of the effect of meat on both the environnement and the body.

All the source where serius and most of the argument make sense.

Now, I have a major in biology and a minor in chemistry wich allow me to contradict nearly all of the element presented, and present a few that where''forgotten''.

I dont mind someone who decide not to eat meat for philosophical reason (or to score with chick like my boddy) but when they start trying to tell me that human are not made to eat meat and they present pseudo-science to prouve it... :deadsubject:

Hate to revive an old thread (but perhaps one worth reviving), but......

I recently completed an order I should have never accepted. A customer wanted me to make an 18th century cartridge pouch for his son for reenacting the American Revolution era (which is what I do). But he noted that his son was a vegan, and that none of his clothing or equipment could be made of leather (what the...???). So I reluctantly agreed to make the pouch out of upholstery vinyl.

Never NEVER again am I going to sink that low in desperation for work. I felt tempted to go out, hunt down and kill a bison with my bare hands, gut, skin, curry and tan the leather all myself, all in penitence for my sin.

Vegan leather is such an oxymoron that I looked it up. Wikipedia took me here. Bleh.

Johanna

I get a little annoyed when looking at motorcycle things, and see that they are advertised as "synthetic leather". It's either one, or the other. Can't be both.

But he noted that his son was a vegan, and that none of his clothing or equipment could be made of leather (what the...???). So I reluctantly agreed to make the pouch out of upholstery vinyl.

Never NEVER again am I going to sink that low in desperation for work. I felt tempted to go out, hunt down and kill a bison with my bare hands, gut, skin, curry and tan the leather all myself, all in penitence for my sin.

Was the vinyl hard to work with, or did just the feel of it in your hands revolt you?

I really don't see any issue at all here folks. After all, has anybody seen a cow that was not a vegan? Therefor if the providing animal is a vegan, than the leather made from said animal is vegan leather. Right? :cow:

I really don't see any issue at all here folks. After all, has anybody seen a cow that was not a vegan? Therefor if the providing animal is a vegan, than the leather made from said animal is vegan leather. Right? :cow:

Really can't argue with that logic.....

Was the vinyl hard to work with, or did just the feel of it in your hands revolt you?

I felt so.....dirty.:bawling:

I've been seeing a lot of items for sale lately that are made of "vegan leather". Now, I don't know about you, but personally I don't think we ought to be persecuting people based on what they eat. I mean, if they don't want to eat meat, fine, that's their business. But I really think someone's getting out of line if these vegetable eaters are being skinned and tanned. Heck, who'd want leather made out of a vegan, anyway?

(a little sarcastic humor)... so, this would mean leather that comes from cows, sheep, goats as they are all vegetarians???

Hate to revive an old thread (but perhaps one worth reviving), but......

I recently completed an order I should have never accepted. A customer wanted me to make an 18th century cartridge pouch for his son for reenacting the American Revolution era (which is what I do). But he noted that his son was a vegan, and that none of his clothing or equipment could be made of leather (what the...???). So I reluctantly agreed to make the pouch out of upholstery vinyl.

You are forgiven. You have suffered enough, and it took courage to come here and admit that you sunk so low. Stop beating yourself up and go pound on some real leather, and thanks for giving me a good laugh today. It's been a rough one! :)

Johanna

I only eat vegetables... that have been fed to a cow, which has been summarily killed then roasted for my enjoyment.

Oddly, I'd only had one person be against leather in my travels.

Frankly, I think it's a little stupid. Do they not use glue, either?

On that note, if it's bad for the environment to eat meat, aren't we helping the environment by eating/killing the cows that produce methane gas? (I think Ron White came up with that one, not me...)

I don't understand how vehement some can get over leather/vegan leather. I'd rather do something beautiful and useful with an animal that has already lost it's life, rather than know it's going to waste. I mean, people are going to eat the cow/kangaroo/gator/pig/bird/snake (deep fried rattlesnake is delicious) anyways... why not do something handy with it?

I think I'm tired and rambling, excuse me. :)

you know what gets me is that

they are wearing "plastic leather" that is embossed to look like "real leather"

this to me says that they want the "look of leather" anyway

You might remember a few years ago here in the UK we had a problem when they started feeding ground up dead cows back to cows!

(a little sarcastic humor)... so, this would mean leather that comes from cows, sheep, goats as they are all vegetarians???

And I've never seen Lion leather or Tiger leather or Bear leather either (...lions & tigers & bears, Oh my!). :gathering:

Johanna

A bit like a vegetarian meatball? :rolleyes:

I recently went to a week long leather workshop and asked a friend if I could borrow her camping trailer to save some money on the hotel bill. She said no as she would feel as if she were contributing to the use of leather, which she is against. I couldn't believe it.... I don't think our friendship will ever be the same....

Ann