Sign in to follow this  
mooshi

What machine to you use to sew leather?

For all the users on this forum who use a sewing machine to sew leather. I was just curious what brand and model sewing machine you use?

Mooshi

Mooshi,

I am going to try and answer your question without telling you the Brand and Model of the machine I purchased. I am doing so because I do not believe that it is beneficial to do it in that fashion, what is more beneficial, in my opinion, is understand what the type of sewing I do and the features I was looking for in the machine I purchased. We all have our own reasons for picking the machine/company we did. Asking for the brand and model will not get you to the real reason we picked the one(s) we did. That being said, here is some background information.

I do Leather craft as a hobby. I tend to be more towards the artist side rather than the production side. I do not own a business or am I under the constraints and pressures of running a business. This also means I don't get the benefits of being a business, e.g. some companies will not sell to me since I am not a business.0

I have done lacing for over 30 years, but do to problems with my wrists I wanted another method of joining the components together and hand stitching would have put the same stress on my wrists as does hand lacing.

I had a modest amount of money available from a bonus from my real world work life.

I do purses and 9" by 11" bifold for writing paper.

I live on the east coast, so the primary interface with any company would be phone or web based

It had to be simple enough and with enough documentation that I could maintain it.

I wanted a machine that could sew 3/4" leather and multiple layers.

I wanted on with speed variability

I wanted a sewing surface that could handle both sewing inside of a purse as well as the flat bifold.

I wanted one that was on a moveable platform since my work room has limited space (roll it out when needed)

I did struggle with whether or not I needed a single needle or one capable of double needle stitching. I did go with the single needle to save on the seam width.

I made my selection over three years ago. This is important because things do change over time (service people move on, companies change their price points and their target market).

I can say that I am very happy with the machine I purchased, the help the company has provided when requested. I expect this machine to out live me and be passed on to one of my grand children.

My recommendation to you is that you start a list of the features you want on a sewing machine and use that as your measuring stick when you look at and talk to the various vendors.

BillB

Mooshi,

I am going to try and answer your question without telling you the Brand and Model of the machine I purchased. I am doing so because I do not believe that it is beneficial to do it in that fashion, what is more beneficial, in my opinion, is understand what the type of sewing I do and the features I was looking for in the machine I purchased. We all have our own reasons for picking the machine/company we did. Asking for the brand and model will not get you to the real reason we picked the one(s) we did. That being said, here is some background information.

I do Leather craft as a hobby. I tend to be more towards the artist side rather than the production side. I do not own a business or am I under the constraints and pressures of running a business. This also means I don't get the benefits of being a business, e.g. some companies will not sell to me since I am not a business.0

I have done lacing for over 30 years, but do to problems with my wrists I wanted another method of joining the components together and hand stitching would have put the same stress on my wrists as does hand lacing.

I had a modest amount of money available from a bonus from my real world work life.

I live on the east coast, so the primary interface with any company would be phone or web based

It had to be simple enough and with enough documentation that I could maintain it.

I wanted a sewing surface that could handle both sewing inside of a purse as well as the flat bifold.

I wanted one that was on a moveable platform since my work room has limited space (roll it out when needed)

I did struggle with whether or not I needed a single needle or one capable of double needle stitching. I did go with the single needle to save on the seam width.

I made my selection over three years ago. This is important because things do change over time (service people move on, companies change their price points and their target market).

I can say that I am very happy with the machine I purchased, the help the company has provided when requested. I expect this machine to out live me and be passed on to one of my grand children.

My recommendation to you is that you start a list of the features you want on a sewing machine and use that as your measuring stick when you look at and talk to the various vendors.

BillB

Excellent description of how to go about choosing a machine. Unfortunately, it's pretty hard to tell the actual capabilities of any particular machine without info from users. For example, it's pretty hard for me to tell from websites what the real, functional differences are between a Toro 3000 or 4000. And it's like that for a lot of the flatbed compound feed machines, too. I've read that some will work with 207 thread, but others that look just the same won't.

You nicely addressed half the battle. Once he knows just what he wants, he needs a way to find it. Lots of us are rather far from a place to go and see or try one.

Just my 40% of a nickel.

Doug

The machines i have and use on a week to week basic.

Heavy duth sewing ......Sew-Mo 205-370....a copy of an Adler machine.

Lite Weight to medium sewing .....Singer 31-15.

Medium Weight..... Consew Free Arm 227.

Medium weight .....Consew flat bed 225.

Adler Patch Machine ....30-5.

Tippimann Boss Hand machine.

and some older Singer Heavy duty Home sewing machines and a Paff Machine with a biult in ziz zag.

The machines i have and use on a week to week basic.

Heavy duth sewing ......Sew-Mo 205-370....a copy of an Adler machine.

Lite Weight to medium sewing .....Singer 31-15.

Medium Weight..... Consew Free Arm 227.

Medium weight .....Consew flat bed 225.

Adler Patch Machine ....30-5.

Tippimann Boss Hand machine.

and some older Singer Heavy duty Home sewing machines and a Paff Machine with a biult in ziz zag.

...and you chewed my ears off the other week for having too many machines - Doh! LMAO

I guess the difference is you know how to use yours, Luke!

I have an ultra-heavy duty Highlead GA2688-1 cylinder arm harness machine that I use every day and I've just purchased a new Highlead GC0618-1-SC flatbed machine. I also have no less than 3 x Singer 29k patching machines plus an ancient hand-crank Singer and a neat little Janome that I use for linings and thin stuff.

Ray

Edited by UKRay

My 3 machines are a Union Shoe machine for skirting weight leather, an old commercial singer which handles lighter than the Union shoe, and an old pelter of a household machine that modern machines don't compare to. It handles all the lighter weight leathers.

Mooshi,

BillB

What you described is kinda what I'm looking to do with a machince. Also to sew together 1 7/8oz + 4-6oz + pigskin lining and a piece of clear heavy shower curtain type vynle.

Thanks,

Kris

Mooshi,

I have a Toro 3000. It works well on leathers up to 3/4" thick, though that is pushing it. I have used both 277 and 207 threads with Schmetz 25 and 25 needle sizes.

I picked the 3000 style because:

1. It was a walking foot and needle system which would keep layers of leather aligned while sewing

2. With the removable work platform I could do both Bi-folds and Purses.;

3. The arm depth would handle all the sizes I needed.

4. It had the work platform I needed, e.g. heavy and stable, but also on wheels;

5. It had a servo motor with variable speed control

Since then I have had no problems using the machine.

I picked Artisan because at that time, in my opinion, it had the best customer interface over the phone and internet.

Bill B

Mooshi,

Correction to my last email - the needle sizes are 25 with 277 thread and 24 with 207 thread. These are the leather triangular needles.

BillB