Priam1

Help With Rattlesnake Skin

Hi all, I'm a newbie, and want to make a rattleskin belt. My problem is that I'm really not sure how to manage it. A few years ago I had some rattle skin in a box in the basement. When I went to use it, it completely disintegrated and all the scales fell into a neat little pile. So my question is do I have to handle it any differently than any other leather. Do I have to treat it in order to keep the scales from delaminating? Is this leather extremely fragile and requiring special maintenance? Much Obliged for any advice you can give me.

It sounds like the old skin was merely dried, not tanned. There's several products on the market, and no telling how many 'home brews'. You'll need to completely dry the skin, then add the tanning solution as per the directions that come with it. That should provide a durable skin. To keep the scales on, I think you'll need to seal them with something like super sheen, or resolene.As others chime it, you'll get more info- I'm merely reciting things I've read/heard, and am working on my first rattler right now. I'm glad this came up because I forgot where the other thread I was reading went....

Although I'm not an expert with exotics, I would think that a belt of rattlesnake hide would not be all that durable. The constant sliding through belt loops and getting buckled, etc., would wear it quickly. I would be more inclined to make a belt with snake inlays to avoid the wear and tear on the snake skin. This is just my opinion though - someone else probably knows more n' me.

If you are purchasing your rattler hide it should come tanned and ready for use.If it is an old dried hide you can bring some life back to it by using a mixture of Glycerin and water(Usually about 4 water to 1 glycerin)and applying it liberally.Now as far as the scales go, its a mixed bag on those that remove them and those that keep them.I normally like to keep the scales on because I like the texture, and I only do inlays to protect the skin.After it is inlayed I put 4-5 coats of Fiebing's Leather Sheen over it.I have had great sucess with doing this.I also agree that I would never do it on a belt as an overlay,the skin is just to fragile for that.I would do an inlay, besides I think inlay's look better.Dave

If you are purchasing your rattler hide it should come tanned and ready for use.If it is an old dried hide you can bring some life back to it by using a mixture of Glycerin and water(Usually about 4 water to 1 glycerin)and applying it liberally.Now as far as the scales go, its a mixed bag on those that remove them and those that keep them.I normally like to keep the scales on because I like the texture, and I only do inlays to protect the skin.After it is inlayed I put 4-5 coats of Fiebing's Leather Sheen over it.I have had great sucess with doing this.I also agree that I would never do it on a belt as an overlay,the skin is just to fragile for that.I would do an inlay, besides I think inlay's look better.Dave

Thanks so much DC and all, I will do as you say.