Cthomas1998

Juki Du-1181N Should I ?

First, I want to thank all those who contribute to this board as it has helped me immensely over the past 6 months. I have read as much as I can in regards to choosing a machine, almost to the point where I have read too much information and am beginning to get confused. Reading Wizcrafts post was extremely helpful ! Ok, a little background. I am returning to leatherwork after being away from it for quite awhile. I am going to venture into sewing and I'm ready to buy a machine and learn to sew leather. My wife already knows how to sew with a machine, but just fabric. I don't believe in buying a cheaper machine as a starter only to have to buy a better machine down the road. The intended use of the machine will be to sew medium weight leathers for things such as motorcycle toolbags and saddlebags and chaps. Also some lighter weight leathers for Ren Fair type armor etc. My wife wants to use it to sew halter tops, vest and things out of softer leathers I'm guessing like deerskin. Would the Juki DU-1181N be a good machine for me, and would it sew the lighter stuff my wife wants to sew? Please help me here as I'm going to make a purchase son, and I don't want to buy the wrong machine. I have a budget of around $1200.00 which will get me the 1181N.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Chris

First, I want to thank all those who contribute to this board as it has helped me immensely over the past 6 months. I have read as much as I can in regards to choosing a machine, almost to the point where I have read too much information and am beginning to get confused. Reading Wizcrafts post was extremely helpful ! Ok, a little background. I am returning to leatherwork after being away from it for quite awhile. I am going to venture into sewing and I'm ready to buy a machine and learn to sew leather. My wife already knows how to sew with a machine, but just fabric. I don't believe in buying a cheaper machine as a starter only to have to buy a better machine down the road. The intended use of the machine will be to sew medium weight leathers for things such as motorcycle toolbags and saddlebags and chaps. Also some lighter weight leathers for Ren Fair type armor etc. My wife wants to use it to sew halter tops, vest and things out of softer leathers I'm guessing like deerskin. Would the Juki DU-1181N be a good machine for me, and would it sew the lighter stuff my wife wants to sew? Please help me here as I'm going to make a purchase son, and I don't want to buy the wrong machine. I have a budget of around $1200.00 which will get me the 1181N.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Chris

The Juki 1181N is similar to our Techsew 0302. It will be fine for sewing light and medium weight leather. Note that it is a top and bottom feed machine aka drop feed walking foot but not a compound feed machine (it lacks needle feed). I notice some teeth on the presser foot (on the Juki website) so see if your Juki dealer has smooth presser feet that won't mark your leather.

Edited by Techsew Ron

I think 2 layers of 7-8oz would be pushing it a bit. That would be the maximum on a light/medium compound feed machine.

Would the Techsew 0302 handle that? If not, could you suggest a machine within my budget that could? Two pieces of 7-8 would be the maximum I would ever be doing, and then not that often.

Any of the following, standard upholstery grade, compound feed walking foot machines will handle your anticipated work, and are in the same ballpark, price-wise.

Techsew 106 or a Cobra Class 17, or a Consew 206RB-5, or even a Chandler 406RB-1

As for Juki, look into the Juki DNU-1541s.

Thank you very much for the suggestions Wizcrafts !!! Much appreciated !! And I am assuming from all the other posts I've been reading that I should opt for the servo motor as it has better speed control and torque? Wish me luck guys !!!

Edited by Cthomas1998

Thank you very much for the suggestions Wizcrafts !!! Much appreciated !! And I am assuming from all the other posts I've been reading that I should opt for the servo motor as it has better speed control and torque? Wish me luck guys !!!

Correct. Don't bother with a clutch motor if you're a beginner.

In my experience it's the cheap nasty modern clutch motors that are hard to get to grips with they're on or off !!

Extending the lever arm underneath makes them much more controllable though , I've done it loads of times and it transforms the machines , extend at least 8 inches though.

Regards Craig

Good choice,you'll get a lot less marking on the bottom side with the 206 than a machine like the 1182 because they have a needlefeed.