ramrod

Eel Skin. Has Anyone Used It?

I've been thinking about getting some for possibly some wallets...or watch bands. i've never used it - or have even seen it. has any one of you folks out there used it?

i've seen it for sale on ebay. one thing i've noticed is that it seems to be extremely thin. paper thin was the description. that would make me think that the product used under the eel skin would have to be perfectly flat etc.

comments?

I haven't used it but do have some, I was given it by an Australian supplier who was doing a promotion and they sent some out with each order.

Your right it is paper thin probably 1 oz or less on cow hide measurements the piece I've got is about 50cm long x 5.5cm width, front has a texture like what you get on high end leather couches but finer and the back is a bit fuzzy.

It would make a nice top layer on a watch strap and you would want something fairly smooth underneath as it will show any bumps, not sure if they come wide enough for a wallet though as this is the only piece I've ever seen.To be honest it gives me the heebie jeebies I'm petrified of snakes and it kind of reminds me of that. It's saving grace is that it does have a nice texture otherwise I'd probably be curled up in a ball by now :)

The supposed to be Eel skin is really a hag fish. You can see them caught on discovery channel dirty jobs show, i'm pretty sure it's on line. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hagfish

Edited by dirtclod

aha! hagfish eh? they're creepy. but close enough to pass for an eel, i guess.

CEM....does it look like you could stitch it without it bunching up at the stitch holes? that would be my next worry. like sewing tissue paper.

Eeel was used a lot in the '80's, but it wrecked the magnetic strip on credit cards for some reason.

Eel was used a lot in the '80's, but it wrecked the magnetic strip on credit cards for some reason.

This was actually disproved. It's thought that this rumor got a toe-hold due people thinking the skins were from an electric eel.

These little buggers did get the nickname of "Slime Eel" due to their only real defense in the wild is create a generous amount of slime to make them highly unappealing and difficult to eat, but the last thing that comes to mind when seeing them is "Hey, I bet they'd make great leather..."

A bit a research did show that their slime has the potential of clogging up the gills of any fish/eel that tries to eat them. I can imagine that's pretty discouraging to predators.

About the original question, though, it is a very thin leather and doesn't bunch up too much when bent. The downside to it is also the thinness of it and that multiple skins need to be sewn together to make sizes that can be used. It's a bit on the fragile side, so it can't do much load bearing or take a lot of wear. When used on mens wallets, for example, the edges and the fold get the most abuse and would wear out. Backing it, careful planning, or even accents come to mind. I guess it just depends on how you want to use it and if it'll fit your bill. I only know of one sure-fire way to find out, though. Maybe you can find an old purse second hand and give a test run.

I'm honestly not sure about the stitching it I only work with 7-10oz cowhide and use thick 1 mm thread, I think what shtoink said is probably right on the money though when working with it.

i've seen plenty of wallets, shoes and purses made from the stuff. my brother used to own an ell skin wallet. he said it wore like iron. well, i might buy some. i'm interested in seeing what i can do with it. i've thought of accents as you said, shtoink. that might be the best use for it. i'm sure it would glue down very easy.

thanks for all of the replies, everyone.

Taking the thickness into consideration, I guess you could say that it is pretty durable when compared to cow or goat of the same thickness. The eel skin is pretty thin, like less than 1mm thin. Probably equivalent to snake.

its on my list of things to buy....someday.

I saw tons of it when I was stationed in Korea(88-89), they have a big market for goods made from eel skin. I was never impressed with the look but that's just me. My dad used to say, "If every body in the world liked the same thing, there would only be one flavor of ice cream."

Chief