I have had this machine since last October. It is a nice looking machine but I can't get it to sew for very long at once. I have set the needle height numerous times to no avail. I did discover that there was a channel worn beneath the tension spring on the shuttle. I took that apart and flattened it and re installed it. It worked good for a little while.

Now it is back to skipping stitches a lot of stitches. How much rocking motion should there be on the drive mech. for the shuttle? There is a big 1/16" where the shuttle rocks back and forth in the mount. I think the shuttle is worn out but I have nothing to compare it to.

What do ya' think?

Thanks for any help and or advise.

I don´t think that flatting the grove in the shuttle really makes it better. When the material is gone then it´s gone so the spring cannot produce a consistent tension. But thats just a guess w/o having the parts in from of me. You could try a new tension spring (could work but I´m not sure) if the old one is worn too. But there are at least 2 different springs available, one for open frame shuttles and one for closed frame shuttles. I´d try a new shuttle.

Because of the needle bar hight - from BDC the needle bar should rise approx. 3mm and thats the point where the shuttle hook tip should meet the needle scarf. Have you checked if your needle bar has timing marks? Some do some don´t.

Hi Geneva, was this happening when you bought it? could you send some pictures?

Edited by jimi

Yes, took some photos.

I can almost get an 1/8" drill in that opening just behind the needle. Is the correct shuttle in this machine?? The parts book shows only the closed shuttles not the open one.

post-43622-0-52313100-1437608616_thumb.j

post-43622-0-51249600-1437608628_thumb.j

post-43622-0-08270000-1437608648_thumb.j

Edited by Geneva

yes Geneva, it looks as if maybe that shuttle is from an older machine. if you could get hold of a closed frame shuttle to try, that might solve your problem. if i can remember correctly the open frame shuttle that came with my machine only works in the 45k1 from 1894. i cant get to my machines to try right now as the room is full of stuff due to renovation. does it have a part number stamped on it??

I always wondered what the difference is between the open and closed frame shuttles, beside the obvious difference, but technically I don´t see a difference. The Adler 104 I once worked with came with both types and either one worked well.

No, there is not a part number on the shuttle. Is it possable that the shuttle drive is worn excessively too?

On my next sale I am going to purchase a new closed frame shuttle.

Thank you for your time guys I do appreciate it.

I could not say if your driver is worn or not Geneva?? you would need the measurements from a new one to know that exactly?What year was your machine made? does it have the acanthus leaves for decals? as far as i can make out from the parts manuals , there are certain shuttles for certain shuttle drivers? many times you see "shuttle nºxxxx will only work with shuttle race nº xxxx and not with the older types"?? but it does not explain, what are the older types??so i think your best bet would be to look for your shuttle race number, check the parts book and see what shuttles work with yours. regards jimi.

Edited by jimi

I do not think there are any difference between the open and closed frame shuttles. And there should be play between the shuttle and shuttle driver. But not in the driver and shaft. Both Singer and Adler came with open and closed frame shuttles at the same time. They both fit the same driver. I see your bobbin spring and likely bobbin house are worn out, as they commonly are. You will not be able to tension thin bobbin thread in that. Perhaps not thick thread either. The best thing is to buy a new closed frame shuttle from Hirose or Ceralini. There are a small difference between Adler and Singer shuttles on the hook tip, so get one for Singer. Have you checked your hook needle timing? Perhaps you can take a pic of your machine with thread stand, fully threaded. Then it's easier to see if there are faults in the thread path that causes skipping stitches. Since it's starting after some time of sewing I suspect it's a thread path error or a result of several small errors. Anyway that shuttle should be changed out if you are planning to use this machine, that's for sure. You need consistent thread tension both top and bottom to sew more than a few stitches. Give us a full machine pic too.

Tor

That shuttle looks to me like an Adler shuttle, it has a Grove behind the hook tip. Or am I wrong, it's hard to see on your pictures. Singer shuttles has straight hook tips. I did not see what Constabulary wrote earlier. But he is right, normally when the bobbin spring is looking like that the bobbin house are worn out too. So changing the spring alone will not help. The changes of shuttle driver made before are normally made to fit bigger shuttles. The changes between those drivers are so big that a small shuttle will fall out with the wrong driver (and a big shuttle will not fit in the small shuttle driver) I do not think it's possible make this wrong, to fit the wrong size in. It's very common to find a Singer shuttle in a Adler class 5 (or 4) or an Adler shuttle in a Singer 45. But there are difference between them. If it's a Adler shuttle it will be to much distance between the hook and the needle and that can cause skipped stitches. Again, it's hard to see before you take it out and take a pic of it.

Tor

There are a couple of simple problems that many people overlook. If the thread catches up in the upper thread path then it will do two things; fail to form a loop, and pull the needle away from the hook

1/ check the top - pre tension and see of the thread has worn a groove into it. If so then unscrew it and put it back in with a thin washer behind it. This will provide a fresh face for the thread to run over without binding.

2/ Pull apart the main tension and look at the discs. The metal surfaces need to be shiny and may need a polish with fine steal wool. The felt washers need to be oiled. New replacements are available on ebay.

3/ The wear in the take up spring can catch the thread which will cause problems. New spring sets are available on ebay.

4/ The take up lever has an inner wear ring. If there is wear in the ring then you undo the small screw and turn it around to give the thread a clean face.

If there is a lot of slop on the bottom end the try turning the inner shuttle race ring around. If both sides are worn then new ones are available on ebay.

Important note: when I say these parts are available on ebay I am probably the only supplier offering them. You can also contact suppliers such as Toledo, Cobra or Techsew