Northman

Techsew 2700 Vs Consew 206Rb-5?

Hi, I am fairly new to leatherworking but i have already sold some stuff, and plan on selling more.
So i have decided to purchase a leather sewing machine.
I really make anything and everything but i always use veg-tanned leather, and I always do some stamping.
I often use both skins and leather combined in a project.
I make wallets, quivers, mittens, purses, belts, knife sheaths and any odd stuff people want.
The machine needs to be able to sew two layers of 4mm thick (10 oz?) leather.
Or two layers of 2 mm (5 oz?) leather plus two layers of skin.
I live in sweden and there are no vendors that sells these kind of machines.
I am currently looking at Techsew 2700 and Consew 206RB-5 but i am open for other options.
I´d like to keep it under 2000$ if possible.

I have a consew 206rb and its a great machine. However, the Techsew is a cylinder arm machine, and that is way more versatile for sewing hard to reach places like bags and zippers.

The 2700 is more versatile, however at 20 oz you are pushing the top of the envelope for that machine and the 206RB. Better to bite the bullet now and get a 441 machine like the Cowboy CB 4500 or the Techsew 5100. Later, you might want to get a 2700 and set it up for lite work. However, if you only do lite work under say 3/8", the Techsew 2700 will work out fine.

No guarantees, but no matter what you buy, 441 or 2700, you probably will be able to sell it for more in Sweden than you paid for it.

Art

The 2700 is more versatile, however at 20 oz you are pushing the top of the envelope for that machine and the 206RB. Better to bite the bullet now and get a 441 machine like the Cowboy CB 4500 or the Techsew 5100. Later, you might want to get a 2700 and set it up for lite work. However, if you only do lite work under say 3/8", the Techsew 2700 will work out fine.

No guarantees, but no matter what you buy, 441 or 2700, you probably will be able to sell it for more in Sweden than you paid for it.

Art

How does the 441 clone do on light material?

Have the seller set it up for whichever or whatever you sew the most. You can use a #22 (140Nm) needle and 92 or 138 thread, even 69 thread can work. I've seen it sew 8 oz and 6 oz all day at shows and then double and quadruple that.

Art

The Techsew 5100 seem interesting but as Colt W Knight said, how does it do on light materials? I will probably sew more on light materials, at least for now.
And do anyone have some tips regarding shipping such a big machine across seas?

Art, I don´t think I'll get my money back if i'll sell it because there are no more than a handful of leatherworkers here in sweden. There are plenty of saddle makers here, but there is only one that actually make saddles occasionally that i know of.

Keep in mind that you have to pay custom fees and EU import taxes on the whole price including the shipping cost when you order from outside the EU.

If unsure ask your local customs office.

Keep in mind that you have to pay custom fees and EU import taxes on the whole price including the shipping cost when you order from outside the EU.

If unsure ask your local customs office.

yep i know,, it's about 30% of the total price of the machine including shipping cost.

So if anyone know any good vendors inside EU i would appreciate it.

www.Sieck.de has a wider range of sewing machine but the prices on their website are w/o VAT, you have to add 19%

www.Sieck.de has a wider range of sewing machine but the prices on their website are w/o VAT, you have to add 19%

They have a lot of machines, unfortunately i only recognized one brand "Pfaff", i know that it is considered a good brand but nothing more.

They don´t seem to have any of the machines that i´ve read about, like techsew or consew and there is lite info about the machines.

Is there a machine you could recommend?

They seem just as expensive as the consew or techsew machines and if i have to ad an extra 19% i don´t think that there would be much difference in ordering from over seas.

Or am i wrong?

Edited by Northman

Overseas shipping is approx.$650.00

Well, most of the new industrial machines nowadays come from China and are not made in the US, Europe or Japan. Even the "old name" brands like Adler or Pfaff (just to name a few) come from China nowadays. Most Chinese made machines are very similar they just have different brand name tags or sticker. But thats not unusual nowadays.

Well, most of the new industrial machines nowadays come from China and are not made in the US, Europe or Japan. Even the "old name" brands like Adler or Pfaff (just to name a few) come from China nowadays. Most Chinese made machines are very similar they just have different brand name tags or sticker. But thats not unusual nowadays.

Fixed!

Well, most of the new just about anything nowadays come from China and are not made in the US, Europe or Japan. Even the "old name" brands like Toyota or Sony (just to name a few) come from China nowadays. Most Chinese made products are very similar they just have different brand name tags or sticker. But that's not unusual nowadays.

I have contacted most of the swedish sewing machine companies about if they could take home a Techsew 5100‏ for me. All but one replied that they dont deal with industrial sewing machines.
One replied that they could sell me a Juki TSC-441 for 111 250 SEK, or 12976,33 USD.
I just wanted to share with you how it is in Sweden..=)

Thanks :thumbsup: and don´t forget about the freakin APPLE stuff

Apple products? Yeah, China. They have brought back a few token American made products, but they afford to mfg. here for sure and make a massive profit.

They just decide not to.

I have contacted most of the swedish sewing machine companies about if they could take home a Techsew 5100‏ for me. All but one replied that they dont deal with industrial sewing machines.

One replied that they could sell me a Juki TSC-441 for 111 250 SEK, or 12976,33 USD.

I just wanted to share with you how it is in Sweden..=)

12976,33 USD for a JUKI TSC-441?

Just the head or complete with table and motor? Sounds like a good deal but I guess for the price it is a used machine, right? Anyway - still a good deal I´d say.

EDIT:

wait - seems I got the price wrong - sorry!

Now thats price really HURTS!!!!

Edited by Constabulary

I have done some reading and found that Sieck 411 is the same machine as the cowboy 4500.
Sieck has on their homepage a Sieck TSC 411, I am guessing that TSC stands for some kind of "additional equipment".
So the question is if that machine is a "good" machine and if it is appropriate fore the things i want to do?

Edit:

It seems like the Sieck TSC 411 is a clone of some other machine.
and the one with a servo motor would cost 2500 euro plus 19% = 2975 euro.
Is this a fair price for a clone of some machine i don´t know?

Edited by Northman

TSC 441 is the original nomenclature from JUKI. TSC has nothing to do with additional equipment.

Did you get my PM message?

Well maybe so, but the TSH-411 moniker was by used by Juki on a machine that had the same frame as the TSC-441 but was drop feed only. I suspect you were referring to the 441, which may very well be "the same as" a Cowboy 4500, but then may very well not be. Cowboy uses different feet most probably (Cowboy makes their own feet) and is made in a good factory, not as sure about the Sieck, although I have heard good things about them. As with all "House" brands, they are pretty much going to be clones, but most house brands are usually pretty good machines.

From reading the Sieck website the Sieck with the Needle Positioner motor might be a good buy at 2500 euros, especially if you can drive down and pick it up. They don't seem to have a plain servo available. I don't see where it comes with any special feet or needle plates, but you can buy them here in the states if needed.

Art

TSC 441 is the original nomenclature from JUKI. TSC has nothing to do with additional equipment.

Did you get my PM message?

Yes, but it was my first pm so i didn't notice it, sorry.

But i have replied on it.

Well maybe so, but the TSH-411 moniker was by used by Juki on a machine that had the same frame as the TSC-441 but was drop feed only. I suspect you were referring to the 441, which may very well be "the same as" a Cowboy 4500, but then may very well not be. Cowboy uses different feet most probably (Cowboy makes their own feet) and is made in a good factory, not as sure about the Sieck, although I have heard good things about them. As with all "House" brands, they are pretty much going to be clones, but most house brands are usually pretty good machines.

From reading the Sieck website the Sieck with the Needle Positioner motor might be a good buy at 2500 euros, especially if you can drive down and pick it up. They don't seem to have a plain servo available. I don't see where it comes with any special feet or needle plates, but you can buy them here in the states if needed.

Art

So over all it is a good machine, then i'll consider it.

Does it take any bigger thread than 207?

Yes, the Sieck should be a good machine. It should run up to a Nm 250 needle and at least 346 thread and possibly 415, or 415 top 346 bobbin. If you are new to sewing, get the needle positioning motor or a servo motor as opposed to a clutch motor.

Art

Constabulary have been kind enough to offer me to by a Singer 211.
I have been thinking and searching for info about it so long that it seems like i have missed the opportunity.
But it got me thinking, why put out 5000 Usd for a machine even if i got the money, when i could get by with a cheaper machine like a Singer 211?
Is the Singer 211 a good machine for sewing stuff like bags with veg-tanned leather?
Or is there better machines that isn't so expensive that i actually could find inside the EU?
I would se the Singer like a "starter" machine that i could keep for lighter tasks, and later buy a 5000 dollar machine.
Does that seem like good idea?

Edited by Northman

Hi, I am fairly new to leatherworking but i have already sold some stuff, and plan on selling more.

So i have decided to purchase a leather sewing machine.

I really make anything and everything but i always use veg-tanned leather, and I always do some stamping.

I often use both skins and leather combined in a project.

I make wallets, quivers, mittens, purses, belts, knife sheaths and any odd stuff people want.

The machine needs to be able to sew two layers of 4mm thick (10 oz?) leather.

Or two layers of 2 mm (5 oz?) leather plus two layers of skin.

I live in sweden and there are no vendors that sells these kind of machines.

I am currently looking at Techsew 2700 and Consew 206RB-5 but i am open for other options.

I´d like to keep it under 2000$ if possible.

For making purses, wallets, belts and other general leather goods the Techsew 2700 or 2600 would be perfect for you. For 2 x 10oz leather and more you'll need the Techsew 5100 which can sew anything from 5-6oz up to 7/8" thick.

We ship all over Europe and the rates are very reasonable, sometimes even comparable with rates in North America. I can provide a quote if you send us your shipping details.

Feel free to contact me if you have any other questions!

Ron