Kanga

Stockwhip hatband

I cannot claim credit for this, it's made by my friend Doug Kite, my mentor. He hand cuts the lacing exactly as he would for a full size whip, tapered and all. He also plaits a belly and the whips have a swell like the full size ones. this photo doesn't do it justice. I have two of his hatbands, one on my Akubra and this one is on the wall, just as any work of art should be.

IMG_0512.jpg

I forgot to mention, Doug is in his mid eighties and doesn't understand computers but he still has a bright active mind and can figure out all sorts of plaiting conundrums.

Oh! another thing I forgot to mention, I think this is a 12 strand whip.

Edited by Kanga

wow...thats awesome...i couldnt plait a full size one that nice let alone a miniature...i think that i will work at it my whole life and never get that good. you are so lucky to have a mentor like that. i live in nebraska and i think im the only braider in the whole state.

I have tried my hand at whip making and I know its hard work. Tell Doug that is a beautiful peice of work. It inspires me to to keep practicing and working on my braiding so that maybe one day my work might be that beautiful.

Tom

I have tried my hand at whip making and I know its hard work. Tell Doug that is a beautiful peice of work. It inspires me to to keep practicing and working on my braiding so that maybe one day my work might be that beautiful.

Tom

I watched Landline on sunday and a bloke called Acton who has a great Campdraft setup in Queensland had one of these on his hat and it looked real good!

Tony.

I watched Landline on sunday and a bloke called Acton who has a great Campdraft setup in Queensland had one of these on his hat and it looked real good!

Tony.

Hey I caught that last night (Mon) and was busy so recorded it. I better go and have a look. There's a good chance it was made by Doug.